BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
_x3M_Competition
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 x3M Competition DGM

HELP Strange Oil Temp Gauge Issue

I've been having a strange issue with my oil temp gauge, it takes about 40mins for the needle on the oil temp gauge to even move after about 40mins it will start reading the oil temp, but if I turn off my car and turn it back on I have to wait for another 40mins for the oil temp to start reading again on the gauge...

This issue has been causing my JB4 not to turn on due to the built-in oil temp protection. This issue was happening before I even put in the JB4

I've taken my car in for service and they are going to replace a oil sensor in the oil pan to see if that resolves the issue.

Anybody else experiencing this issue or anything i can check myself?

***** RESOLVED *******

Thanks in advance

Last edited by _x3M_Competition; 09-12-2012 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: Updated
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
_x3M_Competition
Private First Class
Rep

Exclamation Update

**** UPDATE****
Set the JB4 to map 0 and took my car to the dealership, told my SA about the issue, suggested maybe a DME would fix it, told them that it was happening before I put the tuner in, they asked me some details about the tuner. Later that day I got a call from the SA one of the shop foreman was working on my car and said that my DME was reading -40c so they were going to do some programming to update the DME.

The next day I got a call saying that the programming didn't resolve the issue and the case was submitted to PUMA for a replacement DME, and they will update me as soon as they hear back from BMWNA.

On the 3rd day without my car I got a call saying that PUMA was looking over the fault codes and said it wasn't a DME issue and for the technician to look for other possible reasons and after further looking into they found that a small rodent got into my engine bay and chewed through the temperature sensor wire causing the issue with my oil temp.

Now I don't have to drive for 40mins before JB4 "oil protection" is disabled!.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Believe it or not, another member from Australia had the same thing happen. WTF, does BMW insulate the wires with cheese?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
_x3M_Competition
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Believe it or not, another member from Australia had the same thing happen. WTF, does BMW insulate the wires with cheese?
I was talking to the parts guys and they were telling me they are insulated with a substance that tastes like butter, and rodents love it... It was a big issue with MINI's and rodents nesting in the engine bay I guess..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:49 PM   #5
chris917
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

I'll chime in as well - had an issue with my oil temp gauge not moving for the last couple weeks on my N55. Just took it in for some other warranty work, found that a rodent had eaten the same wire.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0