BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding G30 Ambient Lighting stopped working - electrical short likely

04-23-2023, 12:09 PM   #1
jordanh
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

Unhappy G30 Ambient Lighting stopped working - electrical short likely

Car is a 2017 (October build) 540i G31.

Hey, I was doing the repair on the ambient light tube today for my passenger (left) side door but I wanted to test if the light was shinning all the way and managed to plug in the connector the wrong way (don't ask how) but now the ambient lighting on the car doesn't work "sorta".

I noticed that the ambient light on the same door at the very bottom works, the one that lights up the door card bottle area but only when I don't have the module plugged in that I likely fried.

Additionally no other lights work on the car such as the footwell or the dash lights.

I have checked the fuses under the driver footwell area and all are good.

I have just purchased a replacement one of these red/maroon colored modules.

My question is, if I replace the module should this fix it or is some coding required?

Additionally, is there anything else I should be checking.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 05:52 AM   #2
tomridl
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i MSport

All the ambient lighting in the car (footwell, door storage compartments and contour lighting) is connected in series via a LIN bus. If any one module dies, all the lighting after that will stop working. Have a look at the technical docs here, there is a schematic of how they are all connected: http://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...1&d=1490116822

So replacing the module will solve the issue, however it may need to be coded with the correct LIN address, but I’m not sure about that.
Appreciate 0