E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Audi a2 good or bad?

11-20-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
philg
the car washer
Rep
Drives: 320

Garage List
Audi a2 good or bad?

Just wondering as my partner fancys on, really because they should be well made, 4 doors cheep tax and come in a 1.4 diesel.

I know they are an acquired taste to look at, was just wondering if the are good cars to own.

Anyone with driving, owning or working on them with any experiences, what are they like?

thanks Phil
      11-20-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Noooooooooooooooooo please don't do it

Why doesn't your partner get something with a. a little more style and b. a little more substance! 1.4 diesel, yuck what a gutless engine and a nasty diesel sound to go with it!

What in your world is counted as a good car?

Sorry but I don't have a good word to say! I take it she would like 4 doors and cheap tax, buy pre 2001 - tax problem solved, 4 doors, lots of nice stuff to buy with 4 doors if you get a saloon instead of a hatch, 3 Series, 5 Series, C Class, E Class, Jaguar XJ, Audi A4 (if you really must )

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
What about a nice classic like a Model T, Austin 7 or Triumph Roadster?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

dont know much about them to be honest either, but like you admitted the looks of them are for a particular taste and its that which has put me off wanting to know much about them.

basically , sorry mate

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post

Way over head methinks
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
Noooooooooooooooooo please don't do it

Why doesn't your partner get something with a. a little more style and b. a little more substance! 1.4 diesel, yuck what a gutless engine and a nasty diesel sound to go with it!

What in your world is counted as a good car?

Sorry but I don't have a good word to say! I take it she would like 4 doors and cheap tax, buy pre 2001 - tax problem solved, 4 doors, lots of nice stuff to buy with 4 doors if you get a saloon instead of a hatch, 3 Series, 5 Series, C Class, E Class, Jaguar XJ, Audi A4 (if you really must )
Porscha - how is an e class Merc or a Jag XJ a suitable alternative for an Audi A2???????

How about looking at Audi A3? They do a 5 door version, and prob have stronger residuals than the A2. Maybe try an Audi forum and see what owners think?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Probably along the lines of this...
Attached Images

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 03:13 PM   #8
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
A friend of mine had an A2. Horrible little thing I'm sorry to say, but she really liked it.

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
marriedblonde
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 330 sport

I've driven one are they are pretty good cars and quite entertaining to drive. I know others have sai the 1.4 denzel is gutless but I disagree it has decent performance.

They are a bit or a marmite car though, you either love them or hate them! They have a bit of a cult following. I say go for a drive and make up your own mind.

Have a look over on www.audi-sport.net as there are a few owners on there.

J.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 04:55 PM   #10
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
Porscha - how is an e class Merc or a Jag XJ a suitable alternative for an Audi A2???????

How about looking at Audi A3? They do a 5 door version, and prob have stronger residuals than the A2. Maybe try an Audi forum and see what owners think?
Because they are nice big barges with lovely engines and nice looks / interiors that quite obviously an Audi A2 does not have any of that. The cars I have mentioned all have four doors and cheap tax which is what the OP listed as a requirement

about the Classics but I don't think a Classic is what the OP is looking for.

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 07:06 AM   #11
_KG_
Private
Rep
Drives: C220cdi Sport Estate

Don't think the OP mentioned 'barge' as requirement though...

I used to own an A2 and agree with 'marriedblond' above about the engine offering reasonable performance. OK, the 0-60 may not be that impressive, but the same as with most diesels, mid-range and in-gear performance is where it performs best. I used to get somewhere around 55-60mpg IIRC which is not to be scoffed at.

There is no need to get grubby under the bonnet either, as the grill pops open to reveal oil and washer fillers.

Interior build quality is typical Audi, so no problems there. It's a clever car the A2 and the interior space is on a par with much larger cars, although unless the rear bench seat option has been specced it is strictly a 4-seater.

One thing to bear in mind though, due to the aluminium construction, it WILL be expensive to repair should it need it. No rust issues to worry about though...

About residual values, they hold up pretty well, possibly better than an A3 and consider that you won't find anything newer than 3 years old as they went out of production back in '05.

If I needed another small car, I would consider one straight away. Yes, the looks are an aquired taste, but look past that and you have a cracking little car, that still stands out against other cars now.

Edit to say: Go for the 90bhp diesel if you can.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #12
philg
the car washer
Rep

Garage List
great replies guys, i had a one come through my car wash today so had a chat with the bloke, 04 1.4 tdi sport had it from new never skipped a beat, £35 a year tax and up to 60mpg on a run. He had a a2 1.6 petrol before this and hated it had nothing but problems but the diesel 4 years on and still running strong.

They are like a mini tardus, loads of room inside.

I have to agree with the marmite comment, but i think they look really great. My mate is selling a 05 a3 100k miles for 7k so might be an option to.

phil
      11-21-2008, 11:32 AM   #13
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
No the OP did not mention barge ! But a barge has got to be better than an A2?

Phil, just really think carefully, for the ame price as an A2 (circa £5K I imagine) you wouldn't believe the great cars you can buy with that money E39 5 Series, E46 3 Series, E Class, C Class, Jaguar XJ, MGB GT (not four doors though but cheap tax), Porsche 944 (see BGT but with lots more room in the back) loads of classics and 80's heros!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #14
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

I briefly looked at them at the start of the year as we were looking to change from my wife's Smart. I was impressed with low tax, good fuel economy and space. Insurance isn't the cheapest due to aluminium repairs not being too cheap. Holds it's price well. Sport version is a must for looks, spec and nice wheels.

Porsche, comparing an A2 with a 5 series, E class or jag XJ. Come on girl, what were you thinking. They're not even in the same book let alone on the same page

I'm getting a demo Mini Clubman Cooper S in a weeks time as that could be on the shopping list next year to replace the Smart. Got it for two days with plenty of mileage to cover.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #15
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
LOL It is part of my compaign against motoring white goods.

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #16
philg
the car washer
Rep

Garage List
the other car she like is BMW compacts, rwd and big engines. I think as long as she likes the looks it seems to tick all boxes.

Just wanted to check the reliability issues.

phil
      11-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #17
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
BMW Compact, never drove one but can't imagine the 325Ti being a bad little car. Getting (slightly) better!!

Seriously now if she doesn't need four doors - there are some beautiful classics / 80's heros out there, much more fun to drive 60 can feel like 160, no driver aids, great sounding cars, none of these cats, cheap and easy to repair.

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 03:51 PM   #18
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
BMW Compact, never drove one but can't imagine the 325Ti being a bad little car. Getting (slightly) better!!

Seriously now if she doesn't need four doors - there are some beautiful classics / 80's heros out there, much more fun to drive 60 can feel like 160, no driver aids, great sounding cars, none of these cats, cheap and easy to repair.
Porscha, your getting to sound like a STUCK RECORD!!!!!!!!!!!

80's this, classic that, MGB crap , no cats, no driver aids, JESUS,

GET IN THE REAL WORLD!!

You spout all of this on a forum AIMED at modern (nearly new) BMW's crammed fully of gadgets, driver aids, HEATERS!, etc....

Gettin' kinda borin' now
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 03:54 PM   #19
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by philg View Post
the other car she like is BMW compacts, rwd and big engines. I think as long as she likes the looks it seems to tick all boxes.

Just wanted to check the reliability issues.

phil
The missus had a compact a couple of cars ago - VERY reliable, good mpg, practical with a big boot etc with all the usual more expensive 3 series build quality
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 03:57 PM   #20
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:

GET IN THE REAL WORLD!!

You spout all of this on a forum AIMED at modern (nearly new) BMW's crammed fully of gadgets, driver aids, HEATERS!, etc....

Gettin' kinda borin' now

Also the chap might want his missus to drive a car which you can crash at 30mph and walk off to the pub to have a drink, not end up in a body bag.

My missus wanted back in the day to drive my RS TURBO (230bhp +900kg FWD) at 17 years old. But i wouldnt let her loose on her own, she is a good driver but a fatal car, thats a 1991 car let alone a pre 1980's.
      11-21-2008, 04:32 PM   #21
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

GET IN THE REAL WORLD!!

Gettin' kinda borin' now
Sorry

I wasn't the first to mention Classics, I actually suggested some sensible modern cars first but yes I did digress.

Heaters, oh I like them .....

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #22
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Also the chap might want his missus to drive a car which you can crash at 30mph and walk off to the pub to have a drink, not end up in a body bag.

My missus wanted back in the day to drive my RS TURBO (230bhp +900kg FWD) at 17 years old. But i wouldnt let her loose on her own, she is a good driver but a fatal car, thats a 1991 car let alone a pre 1980's.
Well what his missus drives has absolutely nothing to do with him, sorry OP. Then again neither does it have anything to do with me, so if she likes the A2 or the BMW Compact she should go for which ever her heart tells her to go for Thats the best advice that can be given when buying a car or you will never be satisfied with what you have. You don't regret what you have done rathermore what you haven't.

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0