BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Standard Safety Features?

02-25-2021, 05:23 PM   #1
aerof16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Standard Safety Features?

I was driving my G30 (2017 540i) the other day and I was approach a car from behind, quickly. In the center of my speedometer display, there was a red car icon and it made me think the car was going to auto-brake.

Are there standard safety features that aren't advertised on the window sticker? I have Driver Assistance and Driver Assistance Plus but I don't have whatever the 3rd package is that gets you the ACC and what not.

Soooo, what was my car using to sense a vehicle in front of me? Was it just the cameras? And if so, does how does it determine the speed differential and when something is a threat? Just how quickly the size of the image is changing? I understand RADAR theory in depth, but my car doesn't have a RADAR, right?

See window sticker for options on the car. Also, I am starting to research adding the ACC, seems like it's been covered extensively somewhere. Anyone point me in the right direction for a good thread?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW 540i Window Sticker.pdf (38.2 KB, 118 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 05:50 PM   #2
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I am among the youngest members of the forum so I may not be 100% accurate back to 2017. That being said:

1. The window sticker you posted isn’t a Monroney sticker. Meaning it isn’t guaranteed to be accurate. You can use a BMW VIN decider to get the options or ask a dealer to pull the build sheet for the car so you are accurate as to its factory spec.

2. Drivers Assistant Plus included Automatic Cruise Control on my MY2020. So you should confirm you actually lack this feature. The giveaway is the front radar sensor.

3. The frontal collision avoidance is standard on the G30. If you lack the Auto Cruise Control option it uses the windshield camera to work. Otherwise it uses both that camera and the front radar.
Appreciate 1
aerof1680.50
      02-25-2021, 05:54 PM   #3
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

All BMWs have pedestrian detection and forward collision warning as standard equipment. The 5 series had this suite of safety systems from the launch of the G30. Optional are cross-traffic alert, rear pedestrian detection, etc.

Your frontal sensors are in the windshield (flanking the rear view mirror). Optical/LIDAR and possibly RF radar. The red icon of the car is the initial alert when you are close to a vehicle or your closing speed on a vehicle ahead is determined by the ECU to potentially be too fast.

You can adjust and defeat in the iDrive menu, adjust sensitivity, and manually defeat (I think) via a button near the hazard switch in the center dash.

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1490116822
Appreciate 1
aerof1680.50
      02-25-2021, 06:00 PM   #4
aerof16
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
I am among the youngest members of the forum so I may not be 100% accurate back to 2017. That being said:

1. The window sticker you posted isn’t a Monroney sticker. Meaning it isn’t guaranteed to be accurate. You can use a BMW VIN decider to get the options or ask a dealer to pull the build sheet for the car so you are accurate as to its factory spec.

2. Drivers Assistant Plus included Automatic Cruise Control on my MY2020. So you should confirm you actually lack this feature. The giveaway is the front radar sensor.

3. The frontal collision avoidance is standard on the G30. If you lack the Auto Cruise Control option it uses the windshield camera to work. Otherwise it uses both that camera and the front radar.
That's strange, because I bought it from Monroney's website...

I seriously have no idea what should come with what package. I bought this car CPO and I only paid attention to a few things. For some reason I thought the car had ACC, either from the salesman telling me it did or because it had two different driver assist packages.

It does not have ACC, unless I am looking in the wrong spot. The buttons are not on the steering wheel, other than the standard cruise buttons.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 06:04 PM   #5
aerof16
Private First Class
Rep

The little add that the dealer had in the window confirms that it should have Driver Assistance and Driver Assistance Plus.

See attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 06:08 PM   #6
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerof16 View Post
That's strange, because I bought it from Monroney's website...

I seriously have no idea what should come with what package. I bought this car CPO and I only paid attention to a few things. For some reason I thought the car had ACC, either from the salesman telling me it did or because it had two different driver assist packages.

It does not have ACC, unless I am looking in the wrong spot. The buttons are not on the steering wheel, other than the standard cruise buttons.
The Monroney website is just a third party seller who tries to make a few bucks off the name and offering a window sticker to used car sellers. The "official" sticker is the one BMW sticks on the car at the VPC and only one is ever issued.

The easiest way to know if you have ACC is to look for the front radar sensor that powers it on the front bottom of the car.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 7.05.09 PM.png
Views: 1625
Size:  2.24 MB

BMW has shifted the packages over the years so I could very well be wrong about what's included, but that's a quick way to know...

Take a look at this thread and review the Driver Safety Systems document for a lot of details on how the various features work on the G30:

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1364915
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 06:18 PM   #7
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Since I had a few extra minutes I also found the MY2017 Order Guide on the forum. They are the definitive breakdown of the options and package sets on the car in any given MY. You are correct the car may lack ACC as it would only included in Driver Assistance Plus II that was eliminated by time MY2020 rolled around. That's why I wasn't aware of the option as clearly.

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...17+order+guide

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 7.15.15 PM.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  278.1 KB

What I also find very interesting is the ACC package in MY2017 included lane change support, but that was eliminated in later MY cars and added back in the LCI. I guess they took features away from us...
Appreciate 1
aerof1680.50
      02-25-2021, 06:51 PM   #8
aerof16
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Since I had a few extra minutes I also found the MY2017 Order Guide on the forum. They are the definitive breakdown of the options and package sets on the car in any given MY. You are correct the car may lack ACC as it would only included in Driver Assistance Plus II that was eliminated by time MY2020 rolled around. That's why I wasn't aware of the option as clearly.

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...17+order+guide

Attachment 2537338

What I also find very interesting is the ACC package in MY2017 included lane change support, but that was eliminated in later MY cars and added back in the LCI. I guess they took features away from us...
That helps. I didn't have any idea what those systems were called, so it was difficult to research them without knowing the name haha.

As I said before, I definitely don't have ACC. However, I bought this car at a pretty decent price ($30.9k), so I wouldn't mind spending a little bit of money to get to the driver assistance plus II package (or at least some of those options).

Guess I'll start searching for threads on that.

gsrbri answered the basic question of what the safety systems are on the car. Researched those real quick and youtube had some good videos explaining them.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 10:25 PM   #9
belsby
Rep
Drives: 530ix 2017 G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerof16 View Post
That helps. I didn't have any idea what those systems were called, so it was difficult to research them without knowing the name haha.

As I said before, I definitely don't have ACC. However, I bought this car at a pretty decent price ($30.9k), so I wouldn't mind spending a little bit of money to get to the driver assistance plus II package (or at least some of those options).

Guess I'll start searching for threads on that.

gsrbri answered the basic question of what the safety systems are on the car. Researched those real quick and youtube had some good videos explaining them.

Thanks for the help everyone.
I have an 530i Production date 2017-05-17. The car have ACC and if compare win codes you have "5AS Driving Assistant" . I have the option "5AT Driving Assistant Plus"
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 08:29 AM   #10
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I am also in Arizona. I have the 2018 530e and on that model, in the US and especially in Arizona where we both are, having driving assistant plus should include ACC. If it doesn't, then the sticker that you got with your car was a lie or someone modified the car before the sale to you.

Have you tried using one of the VIN decoders to see what you actually have on the car?
Appreciate 1
aerof1680.50
      02-26-2021, 09:17 AM   #11
belsby
Rep
Drives: 530ix 2017 G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I am also in Arizona. I have the 2018 530e and on that model, in the US and especially in Arizona where we both are, having driving assistant plus should include ACC. If it doesn't, then the sticker that you got with your car was a lie or someone modified the car before the sale to you.

Have you tried using one of the VIN decoders to see what you actually have on the car?

As i wrote "you have "5AS Driving Assistant" . ( Ref Bmw vin)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 12:35 PM   #12
aerof16
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post

I haven't. Any recommendations on which on to use?
Appreciate 0