BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions How do you charge big phone?

02-21-2024, 09:27 PM   #45
GSMCCASH
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i (2023)

Garage List
On my 2023, the charging pad will allow my IPhone 15 Pro Max to fit on the pad as long as there is not a case on the phone. I find it best to not use a case for the phone, but I keep the phone in a leather holder made for the iPhone for easy charging pad use.

It charges my iPhone to 100% , although the phone is very warm to the touch. All works great from m6 experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 08:52 AM   #46
alvoryx
Rep
Drives: 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilegun View Post
It fits smaller phones as everyone knows but is still slow...
Ironically I think the M340 fits a larger phone, albeit barely, but it does work.

I went this route: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09265SVN9
With a small drawer-liner piece beneath it to eliminate sliding, it fits nicely in the center console, and my phone s22ultra fits perfectly, with case, on top and does fast wireless charging. Just tap the side button to turn on, and drop the phone on top and close the bomb doors. When the charger itself gets low, i have a short usb-c cable to recharge it. There are times (rarely) where I may need to continue charging elsewhere and I can take it with me if needed.

Was hoping to just reuse one of the many other batteries I already have but prefer wireless charging versus cable (and in fact have a plug in my usb-c on the phone).

but yes, it's a dumb option since it doesnt work that well in the first place if your phone even fits.
Thanks for the tip, I actually ordered that battery pack and will give it a try anyways.
The only problem I can foresee is the process of actually reloading the battery pack...
Given the fact I roughly drive 2h/day, the battery is probably not going to last very long. Also, removing it from the car to charge it somewhere else than in the car is obviously defeating the whole purpose.
Is it possible to keep it constantly plugged to the car so that it recharges itself on the go ?
In any case I'm afraid that the power delivered over the USB-C in the armrest will be insufficient VS the power going to be drained by the phone since this same USB-C port is even letting the phone discharging while plugged directly. But I will give it a try, I like the idea.

And then yes the other option remains to buy another phone but I never liked the idea of throwing something away that still works. I could of course give it to someone..
Does an iphone15 pro fit into the pre-LCI G30 "phone" slot ? with or without protective case ?

Last edited by alvoryx; 02-23-2024 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 09:11 AM   #47
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvoryx View Post
Does an iphone15 pro fit into the pre-LCI G30 "phone" slot ? with or without protective case ?
Yes, my iPhone 15 Pro Max actually fits (barely) with a normal case on (Apple Linen Case), the 15 Pro only will definitely fit. They did something to the 15's titanium body where it's a slightly smaller form factor than the 14 but same size screens. My 13 and 14 Pro Max would not fit with a case on and even the ultra thin may as well not use a case cases were a bitch.
430Scud253.00
      02-23-2024, 09:26 AM   #48
alvoryx
Rep
Drives: 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
Yes, my iPhone 15 Pro Max actually fits (barely) with a normal case on (Apple Linen Case), the 15 Pro only will definitely fit. They did something to the 15's titanium body where it's a slightly smaller form factor than the 14 but same size screens. My 13 and 14 Pro Max would not fit with a case on and even the ultra thin may as well not use a case cases were a bitch.
Ok thanks, I will think about that, maybe thats the most straightforward approach as it should also solve the android auto issue following what I have to reboot my phone about once a day or Spotify simply refuses to work..

After double checking, my phone (oneplus8 pro) is 165,3mm without case, the iphone 15 pro only 146,6 mm while the 15 pro max is 159,9mm.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2024, 09:38 AM   #49
mobilegun
Rep
Drives: ze germans

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvoryx View Post
Thanks for the tip, I actually ordered that battery pack and will give it a try anyways.
The only problem I can foresee is the process of actually reloading the battery pack...
Given the fact I roughly drive 2h/day, the battery is probably not going to last very long. Also, removing it from the car to charge it somewhere else than in the car is obviously defeating the whole purpose.
Is it possible to keep it constantly plugged to the car so that it recharges itself on the go ?
In any case I'm afraid that the power delivered over the USB-C in the armrest will be insufficient VS the power going to be drained by the phone since this same USB-C port is even letting the phone discharging while plugged directly. But I will give it a try, I like the idea.

And then yes the other option remains to buy another phone but I never liked the idea of throwing something away that still works. I could of course give it to someone..
Look into the 90degree cable I linked in another following post. I'm on the fence of grabbing that too (or just a 90degree low profile adapter). It's super flat and has a ribbon and the cable can be cooked underneath to help boost the battery up a couple mm (the battery is very slightly larger than the gap to sit flat but with a small booster seat (currently the drawer liner I use does this ), it sits flat and doesn't move.

So far though, the battery is a tank it's like 33800 mah, so it has a big store, and in the short time I've had it I've never recharged it (granted I don't drive much, but did go on a 5 hr round trip and used it 2x with 2 phones and still shows full). For my situation I figure the passive charging while not being used will keep it charged up enough, but have the luxury of being able to take it out and fast charge the batt if needed due to use as well.
Appreciate 0