BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing First Coolant notification

12-20-2023, 10:10 AM   #1
Drifttime85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

First Coolant notification

Hey guys,

Just got back from a vacation and hopped in my car after a week and temperatures dropped a bit this weekend but I got my first coolant notification for being low. I know the engine in the past has had some coolant leaks but I’m in a ‘23 M550 with just over 8k miles now and it seems odd to have the issue.

I needed some gas so I went to fill her up and was going to call the dealership thereafter but after I restarted the car the notification went away. (Coolant levels were fine when I popped the hood)

Should I still take the car in to be checked or do you think it was a fluke?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 02:17 PM   #2
Drifttime85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I just got my coolant light again, and checked after multiple days of sitting. Looks like it’s low or gone. Really disappointed now in the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 11:16 PM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Get it in to the dealer. It’s under warranty and if you search through these threads, you’ll see it is unfortunately a common issue

I had it on my previous 540 and it was a leak in one of the reservoirs

Don’t be fobbed off with them saying they all do that and just topping off

Get a torch/flashlight and see if you can see any residue in the engine bay

It’s bound to be a small leak and it’s just got to the threshold that triggers the warning

It’ll go away as the coolant warms up on a subsequent restart but it will come back on a subsequent cold start
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2024, 09:51 AM   #4
Drifttime85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Get it in to the dealer. It’s under warranty and if you search through these threads, you’ll see it is unfortunately a common issue

I had it on my previous 540 and it was a leak in one of the reservoirs

Don’t be fobbed off with them saying they all do that and just topping off

Get a torch/flashlight and see if you can see any residue in the engine bay

It’s bound to be a small leak and it’s just got to the threshold that triggers the warning

It’ll go away as the coolant warms up on a subsequent restart but it will come back on a subsequent cold start
I purposely bought the newer model for the upgrade lines and “fix” to the coolant leak issues. I haven’t seen too many leaks with the 23s.

I called the dealership and they are going to tow my car.

Fun way to start 2024!
Appreciate 1
G30 B581548.00
      01-03-2024, 10:31 AM   #5
Drifttime85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Service provider called back and said they found no issues. They did a pressure test and topped off the car with half a cup of fluid.

They claimed it was the “cold weather”. I don’t buy it.

Here is the video of the test:
http://www.mkvwa11.com/p/aES4kJ.html

Any thoughts ?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 10:36 AM   #6
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I’m not a mechanic but I’m sure everyone will agree here that it’s a closed system and should not leak.

Even if you assume it was low on delivery, you would have had alerts previously.

There has to be a leak there somewhere , no doubt small but there

Can you see anything yourself, any residue ?
Is the coolant cap seal ok?
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2024, 10:49 AM   #7
Drifttime85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I didn’t get under the car but from the engine bay I didn’t notice any leaks. Cap was tight for when I tried to look at the coolant reservoir.

But my thoughts exactly, the service provider opened the conversation before doing the diagnosis that the turbos on the car tend to use some coolant. Whatever he meant by that vague statement.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 11:33 AM   #8
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Same thing happened to me until the warning became more frequent and I was topping up coolant regularly while fighting with the local dealer to address the issue. The SA said unless it's actively dripping, it is not a leak. Ended up going to the dealer where I bought the car and they replaced coolant lines, thermostat and a bunch of other stuff.

The pre lci models are apparently known for coolant line leaks and there is a tsb that calls for new lines that have been updated. The lci cars should have come with the updated lines from the factory however the coolant reservoirs seem prone to cracking.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 11:36 AM   #9
xander_g
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifttime85 View Post
the service provider opened the conversation before doing the diagnosis that the turbos on the car tend to use some coolant. Whatever he meant by that vague statement.
Coolant systems are pressurized and should not lose any fluid, to the best of my knowledge.

The SA tried telling me the same thing until I showed him pictures of coolant traces on top of the engine, drive shaft, and a few other spots.

I'd suggest speaking to the shop foreman at the dealer, they can be very reasonable.

If all else fails, tell them you smell coolant in the cabin. That should get the ball rolling...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 12:27 PM   #10
Drifttime85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE="xander_g;30781060"]Coolant systems are pressurized and should not lose any fluid, to the best of my knowledge.

The SA tried telling me the same thing until I showed him pictures of coolant traces on top of the engine, drive shaft, and a few other spots.

I'd suggest speaking to the shop foreman at the dealer, they can be very reasonable.

If all else fails, tell them you smell coolant in the cabin. That should get the ball rolling...

I’m definitely going to keep a close eye on the issue now going forward. Thanks for the recommendation.

Disappointed right now. Was planning to do a lot with the car but now I’m worried I need to keep it stock for warranty purposes.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 02:24 PM   #11
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
I purposely bought the newer model for the upgrade lines and “fix” to the coolant leak issues. I haven’t seen too many leaks with the 23s.

I called the dealership and they are going to tow my car.

Fun way to start 2024!
....tow the car?!?!?!

F THAT. You are opening up yourself to more issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 02:48 PM   #12
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
If you don't find any signs of coolant in the engine bay, get an oil analysis done to determine if there is any hint of coolant in the oil. This is exactly why I traded my 2018 M550i off after it was out of warranty. Too many horror stories with low-milage BMWs having engine troubles that can cost 10's of thousands of dollars to fix out of warranty.

I use Blackstone Labs for my oil testing: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Their standard test includes a sodium count. High sodium in the oil could indicate coolant is getting into the oil. This can happen if the intake manifold seals around the water jacket ports on the cylinder heads are letting coolant weep into the crank case, head gaskets issues, or any other internal leak.

Last edited by dscabra; 01-05-2024 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 2
xander_g1003.00
      01-05-2024, 04:01 PM   #13
xander_g
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
If you don't find any signs of coolant in the engine bay, get an oil analysis done to determine if there is any hint of coolant in the oil. This is exactly why if traded my 2018 M550i off after it was out of warranty. Too many horror stories with low-milage BMS having engine troubles that can cost 10's of thousands of dollars to fix out of warranty.

Their standard test includes a sodium count. High sodium in the oil could indicate coolant is getting into the oil. This can happen if the intake manifold seals around the water jacket ports on the cylinder heads are letting coolant weep into the crank case, head gaskets issues, or any other internal leak.
Did your oil analysis show a higher sodium count? The horror stories you mention pertain to the n63t2 motor? I plan on keeping mine for another 2 years or so I would appreciate any info.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 05:37 PM   #14
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I never had coolant issues with the car, but wasn't interested in having them out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 06:04 PM   #15
Drifttime85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you don't find any signs of coolant in the engine bay, get an oil analysis done to determine if there is any hint of coolant in the oil. This is exactly why if traded my 2018 M550i off after it was out of warranty. Too many horror stories with low-milage BMWs having engine troubles that can cost 10's of thousands of dollars to fix out of warranty.

Thank you for the recommendation. I’m curious how this test would be accepted by my SA at BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 06:14 PM   #16
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for the recommendation. I’m curious how this test would be accepted by my SA at BMW.
I think it would help you look more informed and could force BMW to investigate and not just brush you off. It will also give you evidence to show there was an issue if you need it down the road.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2024, 09:02 PM   #17
Drifttime85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think it would help you look more informed and could force BMW to investigate and not just brush you off. It will also give you evidence to show there was an issue if you need it down the road.
I just got a feeling this dudes going to have an excuse for everything. I got pretty triggered when my diagnosis was “ambient weather” causing low coolant.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 02:44 AM   #18
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

If you want to send your oil in for analysis, you will have to drain some yourself. It's not hard to do, but first grab a liter of fresh oil and replace the exact amount that you remove. Blackstone doesn't require very much but they recommend that you let it drain a moment before collecting your sample.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 01:42 PM   #19
raychsh
Rep
Drives: E46 330i

I had a coolant leaking issue on my 7 series. There are 2 reservoir in N63 engine, one at the front is the low temp circuit, the one in the far back near firewall is the high temp circuit. I had a lot of issues with the high temp one. It should be a class action against to these poor quality and engineering faults.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 05:45 PM   #20
Drifttime85
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raychsh View Post
I had a coolant leaking issue on my 7 series. There are 2 reservoir in N63 engine, one at the front is the low temp circuit, the one in the far back near firewall is the high temp circuit. I had a lot of issues with the high temp one. It should be a class action against to these poor quality and engineering faults.
We’re you able to get your coolant issues fixed under warranty ?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 06:51 PM   #21
430Scud
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550iX,430 Scud,E39 540Msport

Quote:
Service provider called back and said they found no issues. They did a pressure test and topped off the car with half a cup of fluid.

They claimed it was the “cold weather”. I don’t buy it.

Here is the video of the test:
http://www.mkvwa11.com/p/aES4kJ.html

Any thoughts ?
Perfectly normal. BMWs have coolant level sensors, many other car brands do not, so you have never seen the light before. In winter, the fluid contracts and the level can fall below the level required and trigger the light.
I experienced this for the first time with my 2001 BMW 540 M-Sport in winter decades ago, and it still does this occasionally at the first drop below 30F. I usually have to add less than 8oz to get the proper level. If it was more than that, then I might be concerned with a fluid leak or problem. Especially if it light came on again in a few days or weeks. But it doesn't.

Here is an explanation from Consumer Reports:
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...-cold-weather/

"If a yellow coolant light pops on in the winter, it's probably because your coolant level is low. "Coolant contracts in colder temperatures, so even if the car's coolant level has fallen only a bit below normal, it could still trigger the system's sensor," says John Ibbotson, CR's chief mechanic. Add coolant to the reservoir until the fluid reaches the "max cold" or "full cold" line. Do this when the engine is cold (turned off for at least 3 hours)."
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2024, 07:02 PM   #22
430Scud
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550iX,430 Scud,E39 540Msport

Quote:
If you don't find any signs of coolant in the engine bay, get an oil analysis done to determine if there is any hint of coolant in the oil. This is exactly why I traded my 2018 M550i off after it was out of warranty. Too many horror stories with low-milage BMWs having engine troubles that can cost 10's of thousands of dollars to fix out of warranty.

That is not the failure mode for issues with 2018 M550s coolant woes. Oil and coolant are not mixing, so this test would be a waste of time and money.

There are three known issues, most are covered long term by an extended warranty on all affected cars by BMW North America. (15 year, 150k miles).
1) Coolant hoses on top of the engine fail. There is an upgrade to stainless steel braided hoses. Mine were done while under the new car warranty.
2) Intercoolers can fail: Over time, the Charge-Air Intercoolers may develop internal corrosion, this can cause a build-up of gas
pressure in the Charge-Air Intercooler’s low-temperature cooling circuit.
Depending on the degree of gas formation and the amount of over-pressure it causes to build up, an over-flow of coolant may occur. Free fix 15 years/150k miles in USA
3) Over time, the engine coolant thermostat may fail. Free fix, 15 years/150k miles in USA

There is a fourth problem across many BMW models to include the M550 related to the radiator shutters. Free fix. Those are also covered under a 15year 150k mile warranty in the USA
Appreciate 2
jimk104.00
Gautam616.50