BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Porsche Taycan Catches Fire in Owner's Garage

02-19-2020, 07:55 PM   #23
Xandroid72
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

What a shame.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 11:28 AM   #24
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Is this a win for an ICE vehicle?

(I'm asking for a friend)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 11:33 AM   #25
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Is this a win for an ICE vehicle?

(I'm asking for a friend)
Your "friend" has never heard of an ICE catching fire?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 12:01 PM   #26
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

These e/cars are a liability, wouldn't want them for any price.
Appreciate 2
      02-21-2020, 12:34 PM   #27
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Just did a news scan, root cause appears to still be under investigation.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 01:14 PM   #28
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Just did a news scan, root cause appears to still be under investigation.
There's hardly anything left of it,not even for scrap.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 01:44 PM   #29
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Gave up looking for the article. Apparently it got pulled

Doesn't look good for Porsche.
paliknight2186.50
      02-21-2020, 02:09 PM   #30
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
A job I had a long time ago was exploring this very situation in residential settings. The company I worked for had purchased two single family homes in a residential development. These homes were used for various tests which ranged from efficiencies of programmable thermostats to alternative tech HVAC systems. The houses gave various manufacturers the ability to gather test data of their products running in an actual home setting. We simulated human activity with various humidifiers, automated lights and heat sources.

Anyways, one of the engineers set up an experiment which various utilities, EPRI, etc were sponsoring. The focus of the experiment is to see what affects charging an electric vehicle would have in a home garage. We had various types of electric vehicles which we would drive around to empty out the batteries and then run them through a charge cycle. The worst one was a Ford Econoline passenger van. That thing weighed in at 4 tons empty. Most of the weight was due to the battery packs. We didn't even get to completely charge the batteries before the sensors in the garage reported the hydrogen levels approaching the LEL (lower explosive limit). Had to abort the test and air out the garage. To say I was nervous during the time we needed to shut down the experiment was an understatement.
Interesting. Where was the hydrogen being emitted from? And who/why did someone have the foresight to measure the hydrogen levels?

From someone who doesn't know shit all about this, but does have a technical background, I'll spew some random theory for you to read and laugh at.

The Hydrogen was being drawn out of the atmosphere as a result of the ionization of the air around the transformer caused by the magnetic fields emitted by said transformer.

And I'm assuming the houses were setup with sniffers through out to find CO, NOX, etc, and hydrogen just happened to be something the system could detect. Not sure if anyone actually was actively looking for hydrogen concentrations.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 03:29 PM   #31
M5Rick
General
Rep

I would rather have a triple holley Interceptor SP than this self igniting nonsense electric if there were no M cars.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2020, 06:03 PM   #32
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

I mean, they’ve had other models burn to the ground too, shit happens. Pretty sure they had to replace all GT3 engines just a few years ago

Wouldn’t stop me from owning either of these
      02-21-2020, 06:09 PM   #33
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
I would rather have a triple holley Interceptor SP than this self igniting nonsense electric if there were no M cars.
I guess it’s time to give up that M5 too then

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh.../topics/767078

https://www.bmwblog.com/2017/06/16/v...ly-keep-going/
      02-22-2020, 01:21 AM   #34
M5Rick
General
Rep

''Porsche,there is no substitute'' Cruise would have to say that with an very large extinguisher beside him.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 01:28 AM   #35
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Modified M5's should be checked regularly by BMW dealer garage for safety.Mine is checked twice a year with the HC and it's FREE .
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 01:32 AM   #36
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e F30 M-sport

Garage List
The BMW i8 has caught fire too. And yes Teslas. In Norway there's lots of EVs, so whenever that happens to a Tesla everyone goes "oooh, EVs are dangerous", so someone checked the statistics, and ICE cars catches fire more often than EVs, even when factoring in the number of cars of each type.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 06:13 AM   #37
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
A job I had a long time ago was exploring this very situation in residential settings. The company I worked for had purchased two single family homes in a residential development. These homes were used for various tests which ranged from efficiencies of programmable thermostats to alternative tech HVAC systems. The houses gave various manufacturers the ability to gather test data of their products running in an actual home setting. We simulated human activity with various humidifiers, automated lights and heat sources.

Anyways, one of the engineers set up an experiment which various utilities, EPRI, etc were sponsoring. The focus of the experiment is to see what affects charging an electric vehicle would have in a home garage. We had various types of electric vehicles which we would drive around to empty out the batteries and then run them through a charge cycle. The worst one was a Ford Econoline passenger van. That thing weighed in at 4 tons empty. Most of the weight was due to the battery packs. We didn't even get to completely charge the batteries before the sensors in the garage reported the hydrogen levels approaching the LEL (lower explosive limit). Had to abort the test and air out the garage. To say I was nervous during the time we needed to shut down the experiment was an understatement.
were these a bunch of non-sealed lead/acid batteries?
      02-22-2020, 08:06 AM   #38
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris View Post
...someone checked the statistics, and ICE cars catches fire more often than EVs, even when factoring in the number of cars of each type.
[citation needed]

Wow, really? SOMEONE said that? Geez you have to do a lot better.
      02-22-2020, 08:24 AM   #39
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
[citation needed]

If you spent 1 minute googling you'd find some references but, okay - here's the first I found https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/17/new...isk/index.html
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 08:28 AM   #40
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
[citation needed]

If you spent 1 minute googling you'd find some references but, okay - here's the first I found https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/17/new...isk/index.html
Quote from the fake-news CNN article using a biased EV manufacturer as a source: "there's not enough data to make valid comparisons at this point."

Modern, unmodified ICE vehicles catching fire on their own while parked and not in use is unbelievably rare. Everyone around cars for any period of time knows this. That's why it's so concerning when we keep learning about EVs doing this very thing.

Personally, I wouldn't want an EV in my garage if the garage had anything priceless (like my loved ones; or meaningful possessions) in or around it. At least not until I gained more confidence in the technology's stability.
      02-22-2020, 09:27 AM   #41
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

I'm not a huge EV fan, although if I wanted one and could afford it the only one that speaks to me is the Porsche. The idea of charging something like that in my garage does cause me some concern. I don't even like having the battery for my lawnmower on the charger in the shed. When problems occur with batteries charging there is usually a lot of heat involved, that and the ability of the batteries to continue burning for a long time. I don't think this is a nail in anybody's coffin but it may give some folks something to consider when deciding where to install chargers and where to do the charging.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 09:42 AM   #42
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Interesting. Where was the hydrogen being emitted from? And who/why did someone have the foresight to measure the hydrogen levels?

From someone who doesn't know shit all about this, but does have a technical background, I'll spew some random theory for you to read and laugh at.

The Hydrogen was being drawn out of the atmosphere as a result of the ionization of the air around the transformer caused by the magnetic fields emitted by said transformer.

And I'm assuming the houses were setup with sniffers through out to find CO, NOX, etc, and hydrogen just happened to be something the system could detect. Not sure if anyone actually was actively looking for hydrogen concentrations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
were these a bunch of non-sealed lead/acid batteries?
This was many many many years ago. So I'm dating myself. But pretty much all the EV cars we were testing were using lead acid batteries. The hydrogen was coming from the normal recharge cycle of lead acid batteries. Hence why the experiment was being done to see how bad hydrogen emission would be in a normal residential garage. Two of the test vehicles were modified Geo Metros. Other than being rolling tin cans, they didn't require a huge battery pack to power the electric motor. One of the Metros even had solar panels mounted to the top of the car. But even "sealed" lead acid batteries are not totally sealed. There are vent tubes on the side of the batteries. If you look closely, you'll see them.

The cool thing at the time was when we got the GM EV1 for testing. It was pulled into the test house near dark so spy photos couldn't be easily taken of it. The car came in on a semi with Hughes Network Systems plastered all over the side of the trailer. The charging station for the EV1 had to wired into the house's electrical system. The charging station is similar to one of those B&O contemporary speakers. And the charging is done through an inductive paddle that was inserted into a front slot of the car. It was cool to have been passively involved with that project. I couldn't get too close to the car. The head engineer that created the experiment was the only one from our company that GM would allow to physically touch the car. This all happened months before the EV1 was available for public consumption. I still have pics somewhere of the EV1 shot by the head engineer as it was being offloaded from the trailer and pushed into the garage.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2020, 11:15 AM   #43
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote from the fake-news CNN article using a biased EV manufacturer as a source: "there's not enough data to make valid comparisons at this point."

Modern, unmodified ICE vehicles catching fire on their own while parked and not in use is unbelievably rare. Everyone around cars for any period of time knows this. That's why it's so concerning when we keep learning about EVs doing this very thing.

Personally, I wouldn't want an EV in my garage if the garage had anything priceless (like my loved ones; or meaningful possessions) in or around it. At least not until I gained more confidence in the technology's stability.
You seem like the kind of guy who only reads whatever confirms what you already believe and ignore everything else.. So I will let you carry on with your day good sir.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #44
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:

You seem like the kind of guy who only reads whatever confirms what you already believe and ignore everything else.. So I will let you carry on with your day good sir.
I will pass on stating what "kind of guy" you seem to be. Have a nice weekend. 😘