BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Leaked: LCI G30 5 Series Facelift with M Sport Package (& Comparison to Pre-LCI)

05-01-2020, 05:32 PM   #221
Nativetexan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Meh, they both look good...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 05:42 PM   #222
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrat15 View Post
What happened to BMW's Angel Eyes? This looks more like a VW Golf 7 Facelift headlight!
I said this many times ... all that dude is doing is copy paste vw and audi designs ... I mean why do bmw board and ceo allow this shit!?

How about having a unique design while respecting your heritage??
Heritage in angel eyes? Behave, they've been around for 19 years, not a 100
didn't say angel eyes but desgns meaning multiple design details. Lights are one of many design details.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 06:02 PM   #223
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
I think the 3 series lights looks more Corolla-ish if anything. People have copied BMW's angel eyes or corona rings and unless they go back to the full circle design, you're going to see a lot of manufacturer DRL's look like this because there is only so much you can do in a headlight design. I wish the 3 series looked more like the 5 in fact.
I am on the other side on this one, as I strongly believe that there is a lot you can do to be modern but keep the angel eyes identity too.
Some previous models managed that without going to have generic, Skoda, VW, Toyota headlamps. They do have a BMW identity. See 2 Series for example.
BMW headlight started to be very well known in the past and even earned a reputation that a BMW has a "Geh mir aus den Augen / Get out of my way" face. Do not recall exactly the expression but pretty close.
Today, you will look in the back and think "what the Skoda guy wants from me?"

I truly believe that some very distinct elements that some manufacturers will die to have them- are voluntarily thrown in the garbage for whatever reason.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 06:02 PM   #224
iamvanja
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i GC white on red

With all the design abominations that recently came out of BMW, this is very solid. Not a big fan of Accord taillights, but otherwise a nice refresh.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 06:21 PM   #225
ActionDH
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

Looks less unique and aggressive, more and more like an everyday generic sedan
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 07:26 PM   #226
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
I highly doubt I am first to say this but that grill shape is whack. Literally needs a blackout grill to cover up the oddness
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 08:09 PM   #227
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What happened to BMW's Angel Eyes? This looks more like a VW Golf 7 Facelift headlight!
I said this many times ... all that dude is doing is copy paste vw and audi designs ... I mean why do bmw board and ceo allow this shit!?

Exactly! People's vantage points only go as far as the tree line. All this talk about what BMW is or isn't is just annoying. What BMW - or any manufacturer for that matter - is remains fluid. Styles change. It's imperative. I've said this before......nostalgia does not sell cars, nor does it keep a company profitable/solvent. What some young buck considers heritage differs from what an old-timer would think.
Appreciate 2
limeypride4423.50
Vervain397.50
      05-01-2020, 08:38 PM   #228
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly! People's vantage points only go as far as the tree line. All this talk about what BMW is or isn't is just annoying. What BMW - or any manufacturer for that matter - is remains fluid. Styles change. It's imperative. I've said this before......nostalgia does not sell cars, nor does it keep a company profitable/solvent. What some young buck considers heritage differs from what an old-timer would think.
Well said.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24973.00
      05-01-2020, 08:44 PM   #229
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well said.
I bet when the Angel Eyes debuted, the old timers were probably like, "WTF is this googley-eyed fluorescent light tube BS BMW is throwing into our headlights?!?"
Appreciate 4
jwong77320.50
Vervain397.50
Poochie9103.00
      05-01-2020, 09:15 PM   #230
SabineBimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i LBlue Met

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well said.
I bet when the Angel Eyes debuted, the old timers were probably like, "WTF is this googley-eyed fluorescent light tube BS BMW is throwing into our headlights?!?"
Touché
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 09:57 PM   #231
lago1974
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i xDrive

Garage List
2023 X5 M50i  [8.50]
Definitely has a more modern look but I'm not sure I actually like it better. Could grow on me... but people also tend to find reasons to like what they already have to justify the timing of their purchase decision, myself included. Nothing wrong with that.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 11:09 PM   #232
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
What makes them fluid is the tech department who keeps them floating. If that will be low, with the design they are pulling out lately, the BMW will be in trouble.
Styles change. I agree. But they can change while keeping the DNA. Look at Porsche. And they are really "fluid".
The new Skoda face, Honda back doesn't sound fluid to me. Au contrary. Sound like a design team that is so poor that are unable to sketch a nice headlight and a beautiful taillight.

Never thought that BMW will became the plagiary...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 11:14 PM   #233
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
Quote:
What makes them fluid is the tech department who keeps them floating. If that will be low, with the design they are pulling out lately, the BMW will be in trouble.
Styles change. I agree. But they can change while keeping the DNA. Look at Porsche. And they are really "fluid".
The new Skoda face, Honda back doesn't sound fluid to me. Au contrary. Sound like a design team that is so poor that are unable to sketch a nice headlight and a beautiful taillight.

Never thought that BMW will became the plagiary...
Porsche is not BMW. They build essentially ONE variant of sports car and ONE passenger car. BMW sells tons more cars than Porsche and caters to a significantly wider audience. They are not apples to apples.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7834.00
      05-01-2020, 11:17 PM   #234
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Porsche is not BMW. They build essentially ONE variant of sports car and ONE passenger car. BMW sells tons more cars than Porsche and caters to a significantly wider audience. They are not apples to apples.
We talk about heritage elements integrated in contemporary design. Can be done.
Your point is irrelevant.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 11:31 PM   #235
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Not bad.... I would pick the X5 over the 5 sedan.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25064.00
      05-01-2020, 11:56 PM   #236
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

This is precisely why you need to go with bigger grilles and smaller headlights. I just don't think the 5 will look that great with this because it's a smaller car.

The 7 LCI looks BOSS with the big grilles and similar headlights......but it's a wide/big car. That is also why it works for the X7. It's no coincidence that BMW is going this way given that this is what worked for the RR Phantom many years ago, too.....small headlights, big grilles on a wide car......road presence. I like BMW's direction with that.....but the Phantom is also a huge car. The 5 is too small for this look.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24973.00
AlexFL7834.00
      05-02-2020, 12:22 AM   #237
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
Quote:
We talk about heritage elements integrated in contemporary design. Can be done.
Your point is irrelevant.
Angel Eyes aren't a heritage element. Porsche 911 iconic SHAPE IS.
Appreciate 1
Vervain397.50
      05-02-2020, 08:19 AM   #238
Bmwtechgeek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m5

They nailed it on this one. It looks stunning. The grill is in proportion to the rest of the front end.

Great job BMW!
Appreciate 1
jwong77320.50
      05-02-2020, 09:25 AM   #239
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well said.
I'm not an old timer, quite the opposite but I remember the first time I saw the revised LED angle eyes, on a BMW, I believe it was a 3 Series, around 2010, I was totally blown away by how vibrant the styling looked. It was quintessential modern BMW and appeared rich. Even if you didn't own a BMW, you knew how to identify one.

This new design are clean, bright LEDs, which is always good but it has no brand signature, it's just like, whatever, for each model.

I think BMW of the past spoiled us in having us believe they'll always carry on the same sequence in design but they made a complete 180 and went with something new.

I'm not complaining but I understand current BMW fans grievances.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25064.00
A6bullet337.00
      05-02-2020, 09:30 AM   #240
SchwarzerReiter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Life Cycle Impulse. Car manufacturer lingo.
Is that another way to say "facelift"?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 10:35 AM   #241
BMthusiast
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F80 M-DCT

That front end is looking classy! Luxurious and cunning. The rear on the other hand looks generic to me. Maybe in person with the taillights illuminated it looks better but to me those (new) taillights cheapen the overall aesthetic of the vehicle.
      05-02-2020, 11:11 AM   #242
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I'm not an old timer, quite the opposite but the first time I saw the revised LED angle eyes, on a BMW, I believe it was a 3 Series, around 2010, I was totally blown away by how vibrant the styling look. It was quintessential modern BMW and looked rich. Even if you didn't own a BMW, you knew how to identify one.

This new design is clean, bright LEDs, which is always good but it has no brand signature, it's just like whatever, for each model.

I think BMW of the past spoiled us in believing they'll always carry on the same sequence in design but they made a complete 180 and went with something new.

I'm not complaining but I understand current BMW fans grievances.
Furthermore, while the the actual corona/angel eye design wasn't introduced until much later (approx. 2001), it was clear that it was an evolution from the circular lens that have been with BMW since the beginning. With these new headlight designs, that progression and reference to design seems to have been broken since there isn't that circular design reference - the ICON headlights was as far as you could take the design while still referencing the past.

There are things that you can change but some details should just be left alone because they don't necessarily "age" the design. While the G30 LCI isn't terrible looking, it has now become a car that is built and manufactured for the now. I could cover the roundel and I would not know it was a BMW - there are too many generic details being used instead of using traditional BMW ideas.
Appreciate 7
stein_325i25064.00
Poochie9103.00
greekcs773.00
Mavus2026.00
530iDriver1707.50
A6bullet337.00