BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Trying to find father's old 335i

09-04-2021, 02:44 PM   #23
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Exclamation

Update: So I was aware that certain provinces in Canada do a weird public insurance thing where you get insurance through one provider, that is owned by the state. i.e. imagine the state DMV being the insurance provider - for everyone. Yeah, weird.

Anyway, the car's last known registration/location was in the province of Saskatchewan. An entity known as SGI is the insurance provider for Saskatchewan, and they also run salvage yards throughout the province for totaled out cars etc. Called multiple times, got bounced around from department to department, not much progress. Finally I spoke to someone who actually understood the request and what I was doing and got an e-mail address.

Initially got an e-mail back from a 'Customer Support Representative' where it was obvious they didn't actually read the e-mail and gave a copy paste answer. I replied explaining again and I got this response:

Thinking I'm just going to give them a call and see if I can get some more information from them. At least I know that it was bought, no information regarding the damage, condition, etc. Any recommendations on how to proceed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
Didn’t you see Gone in 60 Seconds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Maybe it's better at this point to go the Z8 route again?
I'm not going to give up until I at least know the fate of the car. I figure that with buying the car, transporting it, and repair/restoration(obviously depending on condition, if there is damage etc), I wouldn't spend any more than $50,000 on this venture in totality, likely far less. But even at that cost, still leaves me about $100k-$150k cheaper than a nice Z8 at current market prices. Much more attainable in the short-term, and I can save the Z8 mission for the following 10 years - lol!