BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Wanna read my BMW essay for college?

Closed Thread

08-24-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
Desert_Fox
Drop-Top Turbo
North Korea
Rep
Drives: 2013 991 C2S/ 2013 335is E93

Garage List
Wanna read my BMW essay for college?

Hey guys, im currently a student at UCSB! My assignment in my writing 2 course was to write the script for a documentary involving some part of culture I find interesting or am involved with. This piece is rather broad and some parts need to be edited, but its a good rough draft to work with. The parathesis with random image descriptions is for a story board im going to put together later. Let me know what you guys think, and if you have any advice or recommendations. Thanks!

1. Introduction to BMW Culture
Bavarian Motor Works or BMW is a premier and renowned automotive corporation based in Munich, Germany. Ever since their first automobile rolled off the assembly line in 1929, BMW has been known for their exceptional level of quality and producing cars with sporty driving characteristics. From this has spawned a cult following of devoted fans, networked via the internet and social groups all across the globe. The modification of these vehicles by third party tuning developers has also allowed for an increasing array of customization to the automotive enthusiast. BMW has actively striven to appease their growing consumer base by offering limited edition and custom vehicles tailored to each enthusiast’s demands. This corporate to consumer relationship has fostered a strong argument for BMW’s critical success in the 21st century.

2. BMW Corporate History (Pan to shot of BMW headquarters in Munich)
BMW’s formal corporate history begins in the midst of World War I in 1917. Originally an aircraft engine manufacturer through the war, BMW would not produce their first car, the Dixi, until 1929. The Dixi was the first attempt at producing an affordable German car for the middle class, but would be superseded by the Third Reich’s demand for mass production of aircraft engines at the brink of World War II. From the ashes of numerous allied firebombing on their factories, BMW restructured themselves as an automotive firm once more in 1946. During this period they produced several moderately successful luxury cars but would not gain prominence until the 1957 release of the 507 Roadster. Priced at $5000, a considerable sum for the 1950’s, sales stopped short at 252 units. The massive development costs of the 507 nearly sent BMW to the brink of bankruptcy and possible takeover by rival Mercedes-Benz. It was the last minute bid and injection of capitol by industrialist Herbert Quandt that saved BMW from being dissolved as an independent company. Throughout the next few decades, BMW gained a reputation for producing premier luxury cars with excellent sporty driving features. These aspects would help BMW appeal to both the luxury and sport consumer markets within the automobile world. By the end of the 20th century, BMW had positioned itself as the leader of luxury automobiles in terms of sales and financial success.

3. BMW model cars (Pan to image of dealer lot)
BMW’s model lineup offerings span across many segments of the automobile market. The company does not use words to name their cars, but rather numbers. Generally speaking, the higher a series number, the more upscale, large, and expensive the model car is. Currently, BMW offers the 1,3,5,6, and 7 series cars and the Z4 roadster for their conventional car lineup. For larger SAV (Sport Activity Vehicles), the company produces the X1, X3, X5, and X6 which appeal to the Truck/SUV market globally. The 1 series is the youngest of the company’s lineup, and is also the smallest car they currently produce. The 3 series is the entry-level sedan and is arguably BMW’s most famous automobile, and has been their flagship sporty car offering for decades. Sales of the 3 series account for more than 60% of BMW’s earnings, and have become “a mascot of sorts for the corporation” ( ). The 5 series is the mid-size sedan offering and is considered the “Perfect blend of luxury and sport” ( ) for a vehicle in this size segment. The 7 series is BMW’s largest and most luxurious automobile in production, along with being their most expensive offering to date. The X series of SAV’s go in order in terms of price and size similarly to BMW’s car offerings. By producing such an expansive range of automobiles, BMW has positioned itself as “The premier automotive brand for the discerning consumer in any market segment” ( ).

4. BMW M Division (M3 raging across Nurburgring)
In 1972, the executives at BMW decided to start a new division within their automobile business. This new department would be responsible for managing BMW’s racing cars and also to develop a new line of ultra sporty and high tech vehicles for the discerning consumer who desired the absolute most performance out of their BMW. Originally a department of only 8 employees, BMW M has expanded into a large department and essentially a symbol of BMW’s prowess as a premier sports car manufacturer. The reason for BMW M obtaining so much success and publicity is located within their “almost unique ability to combine the comforts and luxury of an everyday driver vehicle, to the rigid and demanding level a sports car needs to perform to out maneuver its competition”( ). These cars persist today as a serious and well reviewed contender in the premium sports car market.

5. BMW Fan meetings (Pan to shot of internet forum and meets)
BMW’s fan community is expansive and often fanatically devoted to their brand of vehicles. This car community expands across the globe in nearly every country that has access to roads and automobiles, and is united by their shared passion for BMW vehicles. It is very common for fans to join an internet forum specifically dedicated to BMW. On these forums, users can compare their automobiles, discuss their opinion on upcoming or past models, buy and sell extra parts, and even organize weekend meets and drives in their local areas. One such notable BMW event is called Bimmerfest, an annual event hosted in Pasadena, California featuring over 3000 different BMWs and numerous vendors dedicated to this specific car segment. While this particular event draws attention on a national basis, many regional BMW owner’s clubs or even casual fan groups agree to meet up on a weekly basis for coffee, lunch, or dinner, which is usually preceded and/or finished with a spirited group drive around the area. The advent of instant global communication in the 21st century has enabled this group of enthusiasts the ability to easily connect to one another and allow for a strong and united fan community.

6. European Delivery (Shot of BMW driving in Germany)
One such method in which BMW encourages the enthusiast to enjoy their automobile is by offering an option to pick up their car in Germany. This process known as ‘European Delivery’ is neatly and efficiently organized by the BMW group and allows for the consumer to first drive their new car in the region it was developed in. Many new car purchasers take advantage of this opportunity to take early delivery of their vehicle and also take a European vacation with now readily available transportation. The process is also made simplified through the inclusion of English Navigation DVD’s and owner’s manual, along with temporary registration plates for the European Union. Whenever the customer decides to return home, all they need do is return the vehicle to a rental center in Germany where it will be transported back to the United States within a few weeks.

7. Modding (Image of heavily modified Bimmer)
A popular outlet for BMW fans to customize their car and adapt it more to their personal liking is through the installation of aftermarket parts, popularly known as ‘Modding’. Certain companies such as Alpina and Dinan purchase an unmodified or ‘stock’ BMW, take it completely apart and put in new components such as engines, turbochargers, shocks and exhausts or modify existing components, and then sell the modified product to the consumer. Other tuning companies offer completely redesigned individual parts for the customer to install themselves so they may pace the customization of their car over a period of time to their choosing. While BMW will often void the warranty of a modified car, they do not often legally pursue tuning houses tweaking with their designs, hence allowing for an environment friendly to customization within the enthusiast community.

8. Conclusion (rear end of car driving off into sunset or environment)
BMW has existed as a corporation for nearly a century, but it has not been until fairly recently that the fan community has had an opportunity to unite and express themselves in this expansive car culture. The success of the Bavarian automotive firm can almost be directly attributed to the loyalty and devotion of an ever growing fan base and consumer market. Within the foreseeable future, BMW will continue to hold its position at the top of the luxury car market and as a leader in automotive development. This prediction can be made not only due to the impressive automobiles they offer, but the monumental following they have achieved through millions of fans world wide.
      08-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
etl330
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

i didn't read the whole thing but you failed to address the 6 series in part 3 just fyi
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
Desert_Fox
Drop-Top Turbo
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
Oh crap, good thing this is the rough draft and not due for a week. I should also mention this is meant to be like the script a narrator would read off while a movie is showing, hence the unconventional format.

Also, im sure many of you know much more specific details to this entire topic. However, I need to make the presentation very broad to not lose the attention of an outsider to the car culture. My job is to act as a social scientist and pretend im examining this particular car culture to present to a group of people who are unaware of anything related to BMW

Last edited by Desert_Fox; 08-24-2011 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Very good . I would like to add some encouragement and maybe talk about BMW's social resposibilities .
Efficient Dynamics and BMW being the worlds No1 Automobile manufacturer for sustainability. And then you have BMWi which ushers in a new way of automotive sustainability which is a much discussed topic in automotive culture today.

BMWi does become a culture with not only cars to promote but also services that will assist us in the not-so-distant future.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

The sentences are too long, and address more then one idea at a time.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
Desert_Fox
Drop-Top Turbo
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
Scott26- Thank you for the advice, I totally forgot about BMW i and their efficient dynamics policy. After revising my script a little bit, im getting closer to my page cap- so i'll have to see if I can include that in my paper.

Xerox445- I realize I need to fix a few sentences so they read off more clearly. I'll have to double check the sentences to see where something is being misguided. Anything positive about it I should emphasize more?
      08-26-2011, 06:44 AM   #7
x96283
BAMF, with a stick.
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30 530e, 87 GN, 01 996TT

Not bad- at least it's something that will hold my attention (BMW)!

Ever read "Politics and the English language" by George Orwell?

He defines some rules to clarify your writing and examples of what not to do. Funny thing is that he wrote in 1946 (pretty sure) and much of the problem still exists today.
Things like using the active voice rather than passive...

Here's a link, or feel free to google:
http://orwell.ru/library/essays/poli...nglish/e_polit
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
mashimarho
BMW GENIUS
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Hahaha. BMW community at its best.
      08-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Fox View Post
Scott26- Thank you for the advice, I totally forgot about BMW i and their efficient dynamics policy. After revising my script a little bit, im getting closer to my page cap- so i'll have to see if I can include that in my paper.

Xerox445- I realize I need to fix a few sentences so they read off more clearly. I'll have to double check the sentences to see where something is being misguided. Anything positive about it I should emphasize more?
Its detailed oriented, yet can be understood by someone not bmw, or car savy.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

You should discuss how loud the horn is, and the fact that those driving BMWs are in fact superior and all others should get the F*CK OUT OF THE WAY.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
Desert_Fox
Drop-Top Turbo
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
After some tweaking and finishing my final draft, the paper recieved an A. My professor said my interest and foreknowledge in the topic was evident, and helped to expand on a topic she was unaware of.
      09-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #12
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark

never get tired of reading anything BMW related. good read, I was gonna say what SCOTT said...something about BMW i and the future would be good as well but what you have so far is great

EDIT: oh this is old. im late lol

2012 Toyota Highlander SE - PAST - 2008 e92 335i, 2006 e90 325i
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #13
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

what about the history of BMW after the war but before cars... they built motorcycles... the term "bimmer" originated from motorcycle racing...

F30 328i M-Sport (current), F30 328i Luxury (retired), E92 335i Sports ( retired), E30 325 ( retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 03:06 AM   #14
Desert_Fox
Drop-Top Turbo
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1N54E92 View Post
what about the history of BMW after the war but before cars... they built motorcycles... the term "bimmer" originated from motorcycle racing...
Im aware of that, but the essay's prompt was to focus on a particular fan culture, and I chose the BMW Car Culture. Considering the teacher doesn't know crap about the topic area, I thought it'd be best for me to stay on track with the whole 'car' idea. I realize the essay is missing pieces and is not a comprehensive encyclopedia of BMW's history, I just wrote what I thought would give me a good grade- and it worked.
      09-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #15
silkshocker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

where are the pictures?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread