BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Unrealistic expectations? - G30 unable to display metadata from 1tb of flac/mp3s

02-26-2020, 09:52 AM   #1
nicholasbird
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D SE

Unrealistic expectations? - G30 unable to display metadata from 1tb of flac/mp3s

Tested my 1TB music collection on a G30 today on a 'fast' 1TB USB thumb drive (patriot rage). (3100 albums)

After about 5 minutes of plugging in usb, the system eventually ungreyed out album view and i could scroll through album art. (started playback immediately of 1st track whislt waiting for browse to appear.)

However only seemed to show 100 albums before glitching out.
Even search by folder view could not show all root folders (<100).

Is there a package / head unit / version of idrive that will fare better. I wasnt expecting it to be flawless but only reading 100 albums or so and not being able to navigate folder structure seemed very lame..

dont know the idrive version, but the Media Version was showing as MB-006.006.006 and the manufactur date was 02/17.

edit - maybe i need to curate content into a particular folder structure to give it a better chance?, its not entirely Root\Artist\Album\tracks. Some are Root\Compilations\Compilation Sub cateogry\Album\tracks.

Would connecting a iphone directly on usb or by car play yield a better experience with large libraries?

edit2 - further investigation (vin decoder) suggests head unit is S609 navigation system professional

Last edited by nicholasbird; 02-26-2020 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:45 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

May simply be a big or limitation of having to scan a large number of files. I would assume the limit is number of files rather than anything to do with size.
If you split this in 2 on separate usb / devices does the issue go away?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #3
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I have iDrive 7 so it may differ somewhat or it may not. That being said, I would check the manual and see what it says...

We know FLAC is supported even though the manual doesn't mention it, but it does mention limitations on number of tracks and overall size that might be an issue for you.

Name:  IMG_EC53225E508D-1.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  133.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 03:14 PM   #4
nicholasbird
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
I have iDrive 7 so it may differ somewhat or it may not. That being said, I would check the manual and see what it says...

We know FLAC is supported even though the manual doesn't mention it, but it does mention limitations on number of tracks and overall size that might be an issue for you.
thanks given idrive 7 has such a limit, then theres no chance on a g30. maybe i should be turning my attention to apple car play. Of course i dont need 1tb of files, i was just hoping this bmw around i wouldnt have to curate a specific car collection (or have multiple usb) and could just shove it all on. no such luck
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 03:40 PM   #5
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasbird View Post
thanks given idrive 7 has such a limit, then theres no chance on a g30. maybe i should be turning my attention to apple car play. Of course i dont need 1tb of files, i was just hoping this bmw around i wouldnt have to curate a specific car collection (or have multiple usb) and could just shove it all on. no such luck
My iDrive 7 is on a G30, but yeah it is likely driven by the need to balance hardware in the head unit. The more files it indexes it needs to either store an index on disk or in RAM so you can access it quickly and that all needs space.

With CarPlay and the consistent shift from having music collections to streaming services by users I'm sure car manufacturers are finding other uses for those hardware resources.

Sadly for users like us.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:58 AM   #6
nicholasbird
Rep

FWIW i tested the usb collection on 5 series my2020 with idrive 7 'lite' and as suggested it performs the same by quick visual inspection, same file limit and time to cache/display album art.

starting to think i will have to curate a smaller BMW only library.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 03:17 PM   #7
nicholasbird
Rep

update - ipod classic connected via usb, with 26000 tracks seems to be working fine...
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 04:56 PM   #8
nicholasbird
Rep

Have been investigating iphone X/XI with 512GB of storage, and assuming that this solution would be highly supported (given how well ipod classic is workinng via usb cable)

How much mileage could i expect out of connecting Android S8+ with 1tb micro sd for music, re: working, album art, car control, car voice control...S8+MicroSD would be significantly cheaper and large enough compared to apple solution.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 07:14 AM   #9
nicholasbird
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasbird View Post
Have been investigating iphone X/XI with 512GB of storage, and assuming that this solution would be highly supported (given how well ipod classic is workinng via usb cable)

How much mileage could i expect out of connecting Android S8+ with 1tb micro sd for music, re: working, album art, car control, car voice control...S8+MicroSD would be significantly cheaper and large enough compared to apple solution.
not much control on android it seems, just next / previous track - no albumart. need a local phone app to play content and use bluetooth as audio channel on bmw. not workable
Appreciate 0