BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Why So Quiet?

07-05-2016, 06:04 PM   #23
Laki021
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The new Panamera and 5er are not rivals.
You won't see a Panamera 20d as you will see a 520d. Panamera is a luxury Performance car. Whilst the 5er is an upper medium business Class executive sedan. Panamera is more a 6er Gran Coupe rival.
That is true, officially they are not rivals, but for me personally (plus few other people that I know) they are and we are choosing between those two cars. So I would say that makes them rivals in some way (BTW old Panamera diesel with only 250ps is not so far away...)
So, who cares that 5 will come with 2.0d engine, when I am interested in M550i, it just makes it less exclusive to the environment than Panamera, but for a driver, I don't mind if the M550i is a better car. To some people this might be more or less important, I understand this, for same reason many people do not want to buy Audi since some might say that they are just driving an overpriced Skoda

I agree also that 6GC is a direct rival to the Panamera, but personally I just find it more expensive and less practical version of series 5. Drove both many times, I would always choose 5 over 650 GC for an everyday car.

Actually, I would take new M5, but I don't want to wait so long and at the end it seems that it will again not be offered with an optional xDrive
I am even thinking of Merc E43 AMG...

laz81
Yes no HUD, unbelievable is't it?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 07:39 PM   #24
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki021 View Post
That is true, officially they are not rivals, but for me personally (plus few other people that I know) they are and we are choosing between those two cars. So I would say that makes them rivals in some way (BTW old Panamera diesel with only 250ps is not so far away...)
So, who cares that 5 will come with 2.0d engine, when I am interested in M550i, it just makes it less exclusive to the environment than Panamera, but for a driver, I don't mind if the M550i is a better car. To some people this might be more or less important, I understand this, for same reason many people do not want to buy Audi since some might say that they are just driving an overpriced Skoda

I agree also that 6GC is a direct rival to the Panamera, but personally I just find it more expensive and less practical version of series 5. Drove both many times, I would always choose 5 over 650 GC for an everyday car.

Actually, I would take new M5, but I don't want to wait so long and at the end it seems that it will again not be offered with an optional xDrive
I am even thinking of Merc E43 AMG...

laz81
Yes no HUD, unbelievable is't it?
The Panamera is quite amazing in it's reach. It competes up, down and sideways with BMWs lineup.

7 series? Check, it was conceived to primarily be a sportier choice for the sevener and S-Klasse buyer.

6 series? Check, it has the Panache of this class and the dynamics to match.

5 series? Check, It's touching the upper end 5 series models.

M5? Check, the new turbo runs a 7:38 around the ring, well within the M5's capacity.

One problem though. It's a bit pricey as all Porsches. Too pricey for what it offers vs the BMWs IMO. $20k less per Panamera model and it would be a no brainer choice for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 03:38 AM   #25
Laki021
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

While we are waiting...

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 11:41 AM   #26
BMWMB
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C450 AMG Sport

BMWBLOG has just learned that the new BMW G30 5 Series will have its world premiere at the 2017 Detroit Auto Show. The latest generation of the premium midsize sedan will be unveiled in the upcoming weeks on the Internet, followed by the first press drives in the fall and market introduction in early 2017.

As i allready told, we have here in Brussels a car show at the same time as Detroit. Because Detroit will have the worldpremiere, we will have the new 5 series in a 'closed room'.
      07-26-2016, 07:50 PM   #27
bimmer722
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i M-Sport

Spotted today by my wife... Full story on the general discussions
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
usmabmass237.50