BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Intelligent Safety - Braking Issue

11-05-2018, 05:14 PM   #1
davpea
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520ed Auto (G30)

Exclamation Intelligent Safety - Braking Issue

I have a 520ed Auto (UK model) purchased December 2017... and over the past few months the intelligent safety feature has been causing some serious issues for me.. the main issue being that it applies the emergency brake randomly without any vehicle / person / obstruction in front of the car -- its done this 2-3 times at speeds over 50mph and nearly caused a serious accident

Its currently with my local BMW dealer for investigaton -- woud like to ask if anyone else has seen / had this issue and any thoughts ??

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 02:37 AM   #2
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Not at those speeds which I agree would be dangerous. However, I've had one or two instances when I was parking the car where it applied the emergency braking for no apparent reason. In one such occasion it was an empty parking space with nothing behind. Car simply refused to go into it.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 03:00 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I've had a couple of pedestrian alerts , the last the other day must have been false as there wasn't a pedestrian in sight!
I was moving to the left lane on the m25 last week and had a car behind me in that lane so the yellow blind spot warning was displayed on the mirror , he car nudge me back in to my lane so I know that function works.

Also had a couple of warning about cars from the side which had occurred on roundabouts but to date I have had no braking undertaken by the car.

Can only assume you have a sensor issue there giving false info and hence false braking.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #4
emre
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Not at those speeds which I agree would be dangerous. However, I've had one or two instances when I was parking the car where it applied the emergency braking for no apparent reason. In one such occasion it was an empty parking space with nothing behind. Car simply refused to go into it.
Same here. I've had the car for almost one and a half years and happened to me 3 times while parking.

First two times i got out of the car and reconfirmed there was absolutely nothing in the way.

Last one was while parallel parking and made me look like an idiot

G30 540i xDrive M Sport MPPSK / BM3
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
Mrgee55
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530d xdrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
I've had the very same issue, I even tried it on the "late warning" setting, and still did it... so I've turned mine off !!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 01:51 PM   #6
Shepway
Private
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I've had a couple of pedestrian alerts , the last the other day must have been false as there wasn't a pedestrian in sight!
I was moving to the left lane on the m25 last week and had a car behind me in that lane so the yellow blind spot warning was displayed on the mirror , he car nudge me back in to my lane so I know that function works.

Also had a couple of warning about cars from the side which had occurred on roundabouts but to date I have had no braking undertaken by the car.

Can only assume you have a sensor issue there giving false info and hence false braking.
Do you get an audible or visual notification about a car getting too close to the sides of your car??
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 12:44 AM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep

No not for the car that was behind me in the next lane, the car just nudged me back.
The mirror was displaying a yellow warning as you would expect.
For the car entering the roundabout and the pedestrian alerts I got an audible alert plus a big red symbol in the HUD.
Appreciate 1
Shepway10.50
      12-06-2018, 04:02 AM   #8
Jagohu
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30 530xd

I've been having emergency braking actions while trying to back up into my garage - not sure if it's the temperature difference or the hot exhaust gases or glare fooling the rear sensors/camera, but it is annoying indeed and it always happens when the back of the car is exactly in line with the door only - not before, not after and there's plenty of space on the sides...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 05:34 AM   #9
AP
Major General
Rep

If you reverse very slowly does it still occur or is it just at slightly higher speeds.?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 03:22 PM   #10
antah
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: G31 530xD

happens to me every time when i back up from my garage.. it catches my fence pole, but even when i pass it - it still thinks it there and brakes my car and scares the sh*t out of me every single time.. i don't really want to go to dealer specially because of this issue, but i would definitely complain about it. Once, I was parking on a grass lot and it took grass as an obstacle.. oh my god, took me 5 minutes just to reverse.. most annoying thing about my car
      12-20-2018, 05:50 PM   #11
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

The park assist braking is different than the intelligent / active braking system that OP is talking about. Park assist braking uses the perimeter/parking sensors when you're reversing into a spot. It's also limited in in that the side sensors do not continually update, unlike the front/rear sensors. I guess it makes sense from a parallel parking perspective.

I have the park assist braking turned off, because at home I park extremely close (within 3 inches or so) of a concrete column. If it's on, it stops the car every time.