BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding So theres a service bulletin for Apple CarPlay creating static sounds...

12-21-2018, 02:21 PM   #1
fan51
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

So theres a service bulletin for Apple CarPlay creating static sounds...

2019 BMW M550i

Getting some static - appears to be coming from the center dash board speaker that sits right behind the head unit/nav screen. I get it with phone calls, which I can (somewhat) live with. However, when the car is in SPORT mode and it's pumping out that artificial engine noise, I get static at a certain RPM (I think 3500) and it cuts off at a higher RPM. It's like an on/off switch which leads me to believe the speaker may be blown, or maybe the amplifier has an issue. It sounds like a vibration noise. Initially I thought maybe it was some loose change rattling around. I removed EVERYTHING from the cupholders and compartment behind the cupholders. Figured out its not a physical sound from the interior but a distortion coming from what appears to be only that center speaker.

I spoke to my guy at BMW and he says Apple CarPlay is the problem and there's actually a service bulletin out there indicating static when using the telephone via CarPlay. I can see how that could possibly create the rattle/distortion sound with the artificial engine sound pumping through that center speaker. Anyone with any insight? I really don't want to have the car brought in for service and re-programmed. I just recently had the car coded and don't want to risk losing the coding and having to re-do it, although not that big of a deal.

PS: I did turn off CarPlay and drove the car around with just plain old bluetooth enabled. It was raining and I didn't get a chance to get on the highway and wide open throttle the car to listen for the rattle of the artificial sound. I hope to do that later. It's raining here in NY.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 04:57 PM   #2
whirly
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same issue with my 2018.
Appreciate 0