E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Luxury question of sorts

06-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
dek0026
Registered
Rep
Drives: Evo X

Luxury question of sorts

First, I sincerely apologize for the very noob question in a noob thread. I come from an evo so some of the electronics in my wife's newish e90 are killing me.

I've read the owners' manual and, as far as I know, am following the directions correctly.

I am trying to program the ****ing garage door remote into the car. I turn on the ignition and hold the two outter buttons (?? does that mean 1 and 3 or 1 and 2 or 2 and 3??) until it flashes rapidly to clear the memory. Then, I hold both the number 1 button and the garage remote simultaneously until it blinks from slow to rapidly and it should be set right? It hasn't worked for me and I've tried on two separate occasions.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Again, I understand how ridiculous it is to have a thread about this. There is a dude on the evo forums making a zillion threads about how to drive stick while we want to discuss the lamda curve of the fp black or why so-and-so is handing out the 40psi stoich tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 03:43 AM   #2
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Not ridiculous at all, my first e9x had me tearing my hair out too. I believe you hold down 1 and 3....you'll need to teach the car your opener's rolling code. There should be a "learn" button on the opener unit, if you have the opener manual that'll be a big help. Sorry I can't be of more help, I forgot exactly how I did it
      06-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

I still haven't been able to do mine.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
outer buttons are 1 and 3 and you need to hold them for a long time (like 30 seconds). You also have to program all doors at the same time as holding the buttons clears the memory completely. I found this out the hard way when I went to our summer place and programmed it in then couldn't get in when I got back home.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

Not just you..I had to help many people program theirs(Audi/BMW)..the problem is, rolling code garage openers require you to repeat the procedures. The key is to read the damn manual carefully...no skimming.

I'd like to give you more detail..but I'm studying for tax and that's the only thing in my head right now, sorry.
      06-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
dek0026
Registered
Rep
Drives: Evo X

thanks for the replies.

i'll give it another go then if i fail i'll give the manual to my wife and hop in my evo and be happy i don't have all that stuff.

i still can't get over how this thing is setup to be a fully dealer serviced car. i haven't read through the forum but is anyone modding their 335/135 or M3. I have yet to encounter a truely fast one out on the street (i am not trying to have a "my evo is better than your beemer" conversation). most just seem stock. (this is subject matter for another thread).

my buddy is building an e30 with big turbo setup. i've seen a few of those but no modern day BMW.

feel free to comment off topic.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
DTRJ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X4 M40I

Here is the deal. First off if you have a garage door opener that has a rolling code, the method you are using will not work. Second make sure the remote has new batteries installed. Follow the directions first the way you did. Then see if the head unit on your garage opener has a learn button. If it does follow the second instructions next to program the opener. If that doesn't work call the tel number in the owners manual in that section. That number is for the company that makes the garage link system. I had a problem programming the unit on my 2011 335. They gave me special instructions for my Genie GDO. They worked after I spent 90 minutes first playing around with it.

Also put the remote very closer to the mirror. In my case 2-3 inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dek0026 View Post
First, I sincerely apologize for the very noob question in a noob thread. I come from an evo so some of the electronics in my wife's newish e90 are killing me.

I've read the owners' manual and, as far as I know, am following the directions correctly.

I am trying to program the ****ing garage door remote into the car. I turn on the ignition and hold the two outter buttons (?? does that mean 1 and 3 or 1 and 2 or 2 and 3??) until it flashes rapidly to clear the memory. Then, I hold both the number 1 button and the garage remote simultaneously until it blinks from slow to rapidly and it should be set right? It hasn't worked for me and I've tried on two separate occasions.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Again, I understand how ridiculous it is to have a thread about this. There is a dude on the evo forums making a zillion threads about how to drive stick while we want to discuss the lamda curve of the fp black or why so-and-so is handing out the 40psi stoich tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
Same. But the button I was trying to set on the remote was broken and apparently the garage needs to learn the car too...idkk
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
fruition3000
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Down Ocean Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
lol i thought u were a genius too...
      06-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
aniv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport

Hello,

I came across this post recently and followed it step by step to configure the garage door opener button on my '11 E90

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128533

Quote:
Originally Posted by mJ335 View Post
I was one of many people who spent so much time trying to install the Homelink system but failed, and was still using the regular garage door opener remotes. I have finally installed mine, and feels great knowing my Premium Package is putting to good use . After learning this, I installed this for 4 other people that I know lol. Here is my contribution to you guys. I just wrote very detailed instructions for all the members who cannot work their homelink system. Hope this helps

Homelink System Installation

1. Park either inside the garage or have your car parked on driveway facing the garage as close as possible.

2. Press and hold the first and third button of the homelink buttons for approximately 20 seconds, until the red light starts blinking rapidly.

3. Press the button (1,2, or 3) you desire to have installed and hold it. The red light will be blinking slowly.

4. With the garage opener remote near the rear view mirror (1~4 inches near), press and hold the remote button while you are still holding the desired button on your homelink system. The red light will eventually blink rapidly. If so, release both buttons.

5. Next, go to the garage opener’s main console (it’s most likely the garage opener’s motor with the light turned on when opened/closed)

6. Search for a button that reads “learn”, “read”, or a noticeable button on your console. There aren’t a lot of buttons on that console, so you’ll most likely find it.

7. Press the button, and a light adjacent to the button will flash/blink. You have a 30 second window to finalize the installation.

8. Go back in the car, press and hold that button you desired to have installed and the light will blink rapidly for like 2 seconds and stop blinking (light will be on). Release the button and press/hold again. Repeat this two more times (A total of THREE times) and voila! The garage door will open/close!

Troubleshooting:

If you are stuck on number 4, try putting the garage opener remote near the 3 homelink buttons (1~4 inches). Try different angles of the remote if still does not work.

If you are stuck on number 6, where you can’t find ANY button on your console, you might have to open up the console and it will be there. I have a Genie brand garage opener and couldn’t find a button, so I gently spread open slightly between the light bulb cover and the console. Then the button was visible! So I got a flat-head screw driver, pressed the button and the light right next to it started flashing.

*I would recommend two people in installing this, so one person can be ready to press the “learn” button on the garage opener console and one working inside the car*

GOOD LUCK
Appreciate 0