BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 issues?

11-02-2018, 06:40 AM   #155
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Grabble View Post
Agree. Rubbish compared to the F10, which took about 2 - 3 mins. And - not related - I note the engine takes an age to warm up compared to my F10 as well. 4 miles in the F10 at an outside temp of 15C compared to 8 miles in the G30.
Have you got massage seats too? I have and I always put that down to the reason for the heating issue.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 07:10 AM   #156
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balster View Post
Have you got massage seats too? I have and I always put that down to the reason for the heating issue.
Standard SE seats.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 08:20 AM   #157
drholliday
Rep
Drives: bmw m550i g30 2018

I'm new to the forum. I hope someone can advise me as to what to do. My 2018 m550i's wireless charger overheats my IOS (apple X) and Android phones (Samsung S8) after 30 min and does not charge them or the key fob. I tried with and without the cases, fully discharged partially and almost fully charged to no avail. I've taken it in for service and the unit was replaced to no avail. A field engineer looked at it and said that this is normal behavior and not to worry!

1 how can every other manufacture get this right and BMW can't?
2 why would BMW release a defective accessory?
3 why don't I see mention of this problem on the web?

What do I need to do and is this a known problem I cant find any mention of it?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 09:26 AM   #158
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drholliday View Post
I'm new to the forum. I hope someone can advise me as to what to do. My 2018 m550i's wireless charger overheats my IOS (apple X) and Android phones (Samsung S8) after 30 min and does not charge them or the key fob. I tried with and without the cases, fully discharged partially and almost fully charged to no avail. I've taken it in for service and the unit was replaced to no avail. A field engineer looked at it and said that this is normal behavior and not to worry!

1 how can every other manufacture get this right and BMW can't?
2 why would BMW release a defective accessory?
3 why don't I see mention of this problem on the web?

What do I need to do and is this a known problem I cant find any mention of it?
Bitch and complaint to BMW until they fix it or get it right.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #159
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
I hope someone can advise me as to what to do. My 2018 m550i's wireless charger overheats my IOS (apple X) and Android phones (Samsung S8) after 30 min and does not charge them or the key fob.
Wireless chargers do tend to heat the phone - not to the point of "overheating". try it in a home wireless charger and see how the temp compares after time.
      11-06-2018, 04:10 PM   #160
drholliday
Rep

Thanks it's a good idea to try the home wireless charge. I have three and they do get warm however the BMW wireless charger has lights that change blue for charging, orange for overheated and red for malfunction. mine turns orange and the phones are quite hot to hold. to make matters more complicated they also do not charge much more than 10% or so before shutting down, this is not a problem with any of my stand alone wireless chargers. I'm being told that this is a common problem with the wireless chargers in the m550i and M5. I wonder?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 04:22 PM   #161
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Thanks it's a good idea to try the home wireless charge. I have three and they do get warm however the BMW wireless charger has lights that change blue for charging, orange for overheated and red for malfunction. mine turns orange and the phones are quite hot to hold. to make matters more complicated they also do not charge much more than 10% or so before shutting down, this is not a problem with any of my stand alone wireless chargers. I'm being told that this is a common problem with the wireless chargers in the m550i and M5. I wonder?
I have the wireless charger option but I haven't tried it because my IPhone 7+ isn't supported. However, I doubt I will ever use it. The USB outlet is right in the center console and how hard is it to plug it in and avoid all these problems?

Don't get me wrong...the OP paid for the function and is entitled to it.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 04:52 PM   #162
drholliday
Rep

exactly, I paid for it so I want it to work. they don't put a garage door opener because the thing doesn't work, that's fine but if they put it in the car (BMW) I expect that it should work or that they will fix it

So I took the car in and they kept the car for 3 days brought in a field engineer who replaced the charging unit and tested the new unit. I was told that this is a know problem and that this is how it works for now. It's good to know that yours works fine. I wonder what's up with BMW why would they tell me that this is standard operating procedure.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 01:00 AM   #163
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
exactly, I paid for it so I want it to work. they don't put a garage door opener because the thing doesn't work, that's fine but if they put it in the car (BMW) I expect that it should work or that they will fix it

So I took the car in and they kept the car for 3 days brought in a field engineer who replaced the charging unit and tested the new unit. I was told that this is a know problem and that this is how it works for now. It's good to know that yours works fine. I wonder what's up with BMW why would they tell me that this is standard operating procedure.
I use the wireless charger with my iPhone 8 and display key all the time. Don't have any issues with charging. Only complaint I have is that display key moves all the time and depending on where it ends up, cuts off charging.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 08:39 AM   #164
drholliday
Rep

Thanks for all good feedback. I first noted the overheating issue when the phones were placed in the charger without a case it just takes longer if I keep the phones in the case. I have pretty much a fully loaded car the only electronic options I don’t have are the night vision, rear seat entertainment and hand gestures. I know this just a long shot since no one else seems to be experiencing the overheating issue but one option the remote parking feature stands out, just a long shot but could there be some additional metal in the area of the wireless charging bay to implement this feature because it can shift the car from park to drive and reverse.
Oh the charging tray doesn't get warm when the phone is not in place. I know I could just use the wired charging system but it I just have to know why it doesn't work must be the engineer in me or just stubborn I guess.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 10:14 AM   #165
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for all good feedback. I first noted the overheating issue when the phones were placed in the charger without a case it just takes longer if I keep the phones in the case. I have pretty much a fully loaded car the only electronic options I don't have are the night vision, rear seat entertainment and hand gestures. I know this just a long shot since no one else seems to be experiencing the overheating issue but one option the remote parking feature stands out, just a long shot but could there be some additional metal in the area of the wireless charging bay to implement this feature because it can shift the car from park to drive and reverse.
Oh the charging tray doesn't get warm when the phone is not in place. I know I could just use the wired charging system but it I just have to know why it doesn't work must be the engineer in me or just stubborn I guess.
I've got remote parking too. Not sure if they are linked. I think you should insist that BMW sort it out. Clearly it works for the majority, so not a good excuse to say that's how it works.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #166
drholliday
Rep

Thanks that's what I was leaning toward appreciate the nudge. I'll let you know
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      08-28-2019, 01:44 PM   #167
M5F90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmith17 View Post
Yes hopefully the fumes will vent, but wow very strong. Regarding the crack. It is interesting, as I can’t detect any chip at all and it starts from the top edge. Timing wise it correlates with opening the sunroof for a few minutes at less than 20mph. Easy fix eventually but annoying and will be interested to see what bmw make of it.
Sounds like something was poured in into the exterior vents. Some chemicals cause lung cancer. I'd be really concerned about this. If no other new car smells like this, then it has to be washed out, and filters must be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 04:23 PM   #168
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for all good feedback. I first noted the overheating issue when the phones were placed in the charger without a case it just takes longer if I keep the phones in the case. I have pretty much a fully loaded car the only electronic options I don’t have are the night vision, rear seat entertainment and hand gestures. I know this just a long shot since no one else seems to be experiencing the overheating issue but one option the remote parking feature stands out, just a long shot but could there be some additional metal in the area of the wireless charging bay to implement this feature because it can shift the car from park to drive and reverse.
The easiest solution would be for BMW to ensure they have a vent of some kind in the wireless charging bay and a feeding that vent with air. Wireless charging isn't as efficient as wired charging due to the heat it generates.

Do you have climate control on when overheating? I wonder if that can help out somewhat.

I don't know yet if my car has this issue, but I will report back once I get it as I plan to charge my iPhone X wirelessly in the slot.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 09:55 PM   #169
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Dropped mine off today, just about 6k miles on it for her first oil change. While in the shop having the following items addressed:

1) Back-up camera does not work on occasion (TSB)
2) Coolant reservoirs empty (occurred once; TSB)
3) Sunroof/liner clunks just as it begins to close (no TSB)
4) Active kidney slats no longer functional, always open (no TSB)
5) HVAC issues - heat from footwell, while center vents are cool (TSB, plus others for inconsistent airflow from center vents)
6) Voluntary recall for fuel tank sensor
That sucks. Hope you'll get it sorted soon.
Quote:
Quote:
Dropped mine off today, just about 6k miles on it for her first oil change. While in the shop having the following items addressed:

5) HVAC issues - heat from footwell, while center vents are cool (TSB, plus others for inconsistent airflow from center vents)
AC update, make sure you are current. I also found leaving center strat dial that's hidden in i drive in middle operates ac best.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 09:56 PM   #170
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW540i View Post
Quote:
Yes hopefully the fumes will vent, but wow very strong. Regarding the crack. It is interesting, as I can't detect any chip at all and it starts from the top edge. Timing wise it correlates with opening the sunroof for a few minutes at less than 20mph. Easy fix eventually but annoying and will be interested to see what bmw make of it.
Sounds like something was poured in into the exterior vents. Some chemicals cause lung cancer. I'd be really concerned about this. If no other new car smells like this, then it has to be washed out, and filters must be replaced.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW540i View Post
Quote:
Yes hopefully the fumes will vent, but wow very strong. Regarding the crack. It is interesting, as I can't detect any chip at all and it starts from the top edge. Timing wise it correlates with opening the sunroof for a few minutes at less than 20mph. Easy fix eventually but annoying and will be interested to see what bmw make of it.
My sunroof also rattles. I think it might be hitting rear light. On my next oul change i am going to have them look at it. Let me know what they tell you.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 11:17 AM   #171
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

For those that think the seat heating is slow, do you have front and rear heated seats -- or just front? I wonder if they limit the amount of power so there's enough "reserve" if everyone turned on their seats, or something. Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 12:13 PM   #172
NHM550
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Only issues so far with my 18' m550i are as follows:
-passenger seat presence pad went bad(5 days at dealer)
-drivers seat massage relay
-driver and pass window switch trim yellowed, int is whitereplaced under warranty)
-drivers side parking light switch stuck pushed in.
-driver side exhaust flap rattle
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 12:32 PM   #173
skywalkerintexas
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530

Too many issues for me. Lemon car not worth it

I bought mine (530) brand new from Global Imports in Atlanta in summer 2017. So far I’ve put on around 18k miles and have had the following issues:
- the AC system leaked
- radiator blinds wouldn’t open and had to be replaced.
- continuous issues with the Nav system not updating over the air. The system has been reprogrammed five times already!
- iDrive sporadically shuts down and restarts.
- the tires are very suspect to bubbles. I’ve had four tire replacements!

This is my fifth BMW. This experience has guaranteed that I’m going with a different brand soon. The quality of service at dealership is low. That coupled with the fact that the car itself has quality issues just doesn’t make the cost worth it at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 01:07 PM   #174
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkerintexas View Post
I bought mine (530) brand new from Global Imports in Atlanta in summer 2017. So far I’ve put on around 18k miles and have had the following issues:
- the AC system leaked
- radiator blinds wouldn’t open and had to be replaced.
- continuous issues with the Nav system not updating over the air. The system has been reprogrammed five times already!
- iDrive sporadically shuts down and restarts.
- the tires are very suspect to bubbles. I’ve had four tire replacements!

This is my fifth BMW. This experience has guaranteed that I’m going with a different brand soon. The quality of service at dealership is low. That coupled with the fact that the car itself has quality issues just doesn’t make the cost worth it at all.
Of your issues, only experienced the problem with the lower active shutters getting stuck. Promptly resolved at the dealer.

Car has been solid otherwise. 2017 530i, Feb 2017 build, 26K miles.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #175
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 bmw 540i

Does anyone know if there are any options for remote start on 2019 540i’s? I am in Texas and it gets unbearably hot. My previous car, a Toyota, has it and I foolishly assumed a brand new BMW would have this as well. I did check with the dealership of course and they said the previous generation actually had an add on option for it but the current one does not?? Wtf BMW?! I did use the ventilate now feature but it barely makes a difference. Appreciate any help.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 08:01 PM   #176
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Unfortunately no, not from factory anyway...
Appreciate 0