BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis What is the torque on the front and rear brake bleeder bolts?

11-20-2023, 11:23 PM   #1
Up4speed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2013 Ferrari 458  [0.00]
2015 Golf GTI  [0.00]
What is the torque on the front and rear brake bleeder bolts?

I flushed the brakes for the first time on my 540i Xdrive with the M Package, and torqued the brake bleeder bolts to 10NM, like most calipers. Unfortunately, it seemed like the bolts were very slightly weeping some brake fluid from the front brakes. I looked in the shop manual and it said 18NM for Brembo brakes, which is tighter than I expected (but that page was very confusing since it gave different torques for different calipers, so I feel it was generic). I think the front brakes are Brembo if I am correct, but they are a little different than my M2 Comp brakes, which are definitely Brembo.
I started to torque them to the 18NM spec, but it felt like I was turning them way more than it took to loosen them, so I chickened out. I didn't want to strip or ruin anything. I stopped and loosened the torque wrench until it clicked without tightening the screw more, and I was at about 16.2 NM. It seems like they aren't leaking anymore.
The thing is, I am very anal, and want them torqued to the "proper" torque as per the manufacturer. Can somebody please help me out with the proper torque?
Also, I am assuming that the rear brakes may have a more typical torque like 10NM, since they didn't seem to weep with 10NM torque, and their design is just a standard sliding caliper.

PS- I did the brake fluid flush on my M2 Comp. on the same day, and had the same exact results (weeping), but on that car I had weeping front and rear. (That car has Brembo front and rear)

The manual is very vague for some reason. It breaks it into caliper types and seems very repetitive as well. This is the file for my M2, but I think the one for the 540 said the exact same thing.
Take a look at the factory manual specs:
Attached Images

Last edited by Up4speed; 11-21-2023 at 02:20 AM..
Appreciate 0