BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2018 check engine light

09-12-2019, 06:50 AM   #1
miner42
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

2018 check engine light

My 2018 540i has 4500 miles on the ODO, On my way home from work last night my check engine light came on - solid, not flashing. Upon arriving home I immediately turned off the car and checked the fuel filler cap, it was tight. I removed it and retightened it. This morning when I started the car the light was off/gone. Thoughts on this anomaly. Manual states a check engine light on solid indicates and emissions issue. I have used nothing but Shell gasoline, 93 octane.
      09-12-2019, 06:56 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Presumably it will be recorded on the car so the dealership will be able to determine exactly what it was.
If it were me and because it is under warranty I'd book it in for a quick check . It may be a one off but you never know , if it's something more serious best get it sorted.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 08:12 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner42 View Post
My 2018 540i has 4500 miles on the ODO, On my way home from work last night my check engine light came on - solid, not flashing. Upon arriving home I immediately turned off the car and checked the fuel filler cap, it was tight. I removed it and retightened it. This morning when I started the car the light was off/gone. Thoughts on this anomaly. Manual states a check engine light on solid indicates and emissions issue. I have used nothing but Shell gasoline, 93 octane.
Since you live in one of the states that allows "free" OBD II checks...if you don't have an OBD II scanner/reader...you can drive to the nearest auto parts store (Autozone/Advanced Auto/O'Reilly's/Pep Boys/etc) and ask them to read scan your OBD II because your CEL illuminated.

Unfortunately your post was written as if the CEL light only comes on when the gas cap is loose...that is FAR too simplistic for defining why that light comes on. There's no need to be in the "dark" as to why the light illuminated...and as mentioned above...it is NOT erased just because the light went out. The fault will be stored in memory...so again, you can retrieve the code if you have an OBD II scanner...or you can take it to multiple locations around your town and get it done for free.

Once you have the generic 5 digit DTC (diagnostic trouble code)...you can simply type it into a google/internet search box and most times see what caused it and how to go about resolving the issues that caused it. Do know that just because a sensor records a fault...that it does not mean that sensor needs to be replaced. A sensor can set a fault due to issues forward or after it...so some cognitive diagnostics needs to be implemented, as well.

BTW, if you use something other than the generic OBD II scanner...and use a tool that has its own code table...then you'll need that code table to interpret the DTC. The generic DTC codes has been established based on the 1996 federal OBD II mandate...which is one of the reasons it's easy to find info about many of the fault codes...there's over 2 decades worth of discussions about them.

Example of a DTC and all of the emission areas that could be the cause of the CEL illuminating:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
miner42
Private First Class
Rep

I was just stating the steps I took once the light came on. My SA stated many times this can happen if the CE light comes on so I went ahead and checked the fuel cap to be sure. They can 'fit' me in next Wednesday for a loaner car.
      09-13-2019, 07:12 AM   #5
miner42
Private First Class
Rep

Light has been coming on and off, no specific interval. I was told as long as it is not flashing it is OK to drive.
      09-14-2019, 07:14 AM   #6
exthree
The Fleet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540i

I had intermittent CEL on my 2018 540i. Turned out to be grille louvers not functional and I had to repair/replace the mechanism that moves them. The RO referred to this as "faulty radiator blinds."
Appreciate 4
      09-14-2019, 08:44 AM   #7
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F97 X3M Comp

I had a similar issue in this thread. My SA said it is very common.

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ctive+shutters
      09-14-2019, 09:10 AM   #8
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by exthree View Post
I had intermittent CEL on my 2018 540i. Turned out to be grille louvers not functional and I had to repair/replace the mechanism that moves them. The RO referred to this as "faulty radiator blinds."
I had the same issue on mine. A failed active shutter will throw a CEL. Take it back as they will replace the failed shutter under warranty.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 2
      09-14-2019, 09:10 AM   #9
cartaozinho
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 (G30) M550i

Quote:
+1.

To the original poster -- I have found it well worth while to have my own OBDII scanner. If not for these situations then for using BimmerCode (or some other easy-to-use coding app).

I find my life is improved when I eliminate minor annoyances like (1) always turning off auto start/stop and (2) clearing the startup warning to only use iDrive when it's safe to do so. Among others.
Appreciate 1
NGT25541.50
      09-14-2019, 03:30 PM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Light has been coming on and off, no specific interval. I was told as long as it is not flashing it is OK to drive.
If you don't have an OBD II scanner/reader...have you taken the car somewhere to retrieve the DTC so that you'll know why the light keeps coming on?

Even though you can still drive the car...aren't you curious as to what sensor is illuminating the CEL?

You don't have to still be in the dark...and it doesn't cost you anything to find out which sensor...other than your time to take it to Autozone (as an example) to have them retrieve the code for you.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 09:50 PM   #11
miner42
Private First Class
Rep

QSilver,
As stated above I have an appointment on Wed. That is as soon as my dealer could fit me in. ��
      09-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #12
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
QSilver,
As stated above I have an appointment on Wed. That is as soon as my dealer could fit me in. ��
I think you may be misinterpreting my posts. Yes, I read that you had an upcoming appointment...my suggestions was only to say that you don't have to wait that long to get an answer as to what is causing the light to illuminate.

Before you can take the car in for the appointment ...you can still get the code read...just drive to the closest Autozone/Advanced Auto/O'Reilly's/Pep Boys etc...and they can walk out to your car, plug in the scanner, read the code...and you can write it down...come back home and type BMW OBD II Pxxxx (where the x= the DTC code that was given). They can retrieve the fault code without resetting the light. Plus...in Texas...they will do this for FREE.

When you go to your appointment on Wednesday...you'll have additional information to tell the service writer other than that the CEL illuminated. You can give them more details that a specific DTC code was retrieved...and that can help them know what to look for in their diagnostics. As well as giving you an idea, too as to what set-off the CEL.

Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      09-15-2019, 04:47 PM   #13
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
QSilver,
I think you may be misinterpreting my posts. Yes, I read that you had an upcoming appointment...my suggestions was only to say that you don't have to wait that long to get an answer as to what is causing the light to illuminate.

Before you can take the car in for the appointment ...you can still get the code read...just drive to the closest Autozone/Advanced Auto/O'Reilly's/Pep Boys etc...and they can walk out to your car, plug in the scanner, read the code...and you can write it down...come back home and type BMW OBD II Pxxxx (where the x= the DTC code that was given). They can retrieve the fault code without resetting the light. Plus...in Texas...they will do this for FREE.

When you go to your appointment on Wednesday...you'll have additional information to tell the service writer other than that the CEL illuminated. You can give them more details that a specific DTC code was retrieved...and that can help them know what to look for in their diagnostics. As well as giving you an idea, too as to what set-off the CEL.
That's the job of the dealer. They should have the required equipment to correctly pull the codes. If not, they should turn off the lights and go home.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      09-16-2019, 08:03 AM   #14
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's the job of the dealer. They should have the required equipment to correctly pull the codes.
The comment above totally missed my point. I never wrote, intimated, suggested, or implied that this wouldn't or couldn't be done by the dealer...I was only suggesting that there was no need to wait to find out why the CEL illuminated if one didn't have an OBD II scanner or app on their smart phone.

I only suggested to get the OBD II code read so that the OP would know why their CEL illuminated. That's all.

It appears that some reading my replies would prefer to not know why the light is illuminated and wait until an appointment is made at the dealer (since the car is under warranty and will be repaired/fixed/diagnosed for free)...that's totally your prerogative. I was only making a suggestion that one didn't have to wait to find out what caused the CEL to illuminate. If you don't have your own OBD II scanner (or app)...there are local places in most states that will read/retrieve your OBD II codes when the CEL illuminates for free. It takes all of a few minutes.

Again, I was only suggesting a way to remove any "mystery" as to what caused the CEL to illuminate prior to taking the car into the dealership. Suppose that you did have the code read and found out that it was the "active grill" (if you have that option) that caused the CEL to illuminate. Knowing this is the issue...you could mention it when making your appointment. If the SA has seen this before and knows parts need to be ordered...it might be in your favor to have mentioned it because you could set your appointment for a time when the part will be in stock. If you wait for the appointment to discover this and they don't have the parts in stock...you'll have to reschedule an appointment. I see this as wasted time.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 09-16-2019 at 08:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 11:20 AM   #15
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

Quote:
ditto

for mine they were opening late and not quick enough. It was addressed by the dealer
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 01:16 PM   #16
Welovelegend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540i Xdrive M Sport

Garage List
Yes, same issue. Had mine replaced in July. Dealer said its very common issue.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 07:06 AM   #17
miner42
Private First Class
Rep

Yep, active shutters it was. And the creaking/gear-stripping sound in the engine bay prior to start-up, my SA said probably the shutters/windows in the bay that come open prior to car starting. If they can't duplicate they can't replace.
      09-19-2019, 08:19 AM   #18
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
...you could mention it when making your appointment. If the SA has seen this before and knows parts need to be ordered...it might be in your favor to have mentioned it because you could set your appointment for a time when the part will be in stock. If you wait for the appointment to discover this and they don't have the parts in stock...you'll have to reschedule an appointment. I see this as wasted time.
LOL. Your intent is honorable, but in my vast experience with BMW (and every other dealer when doing a warranty repair) they never rely on my diagnosis and suggestions, and never pre-order anything for me.

Never.

Shoot, the last time I called and emailed a list of all of my issues, including specific parts that were damaged and needed replacement, and they still waited until I brought the car in, evaluated it and ordered the parts.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 09:41 PM   #19
Sxs1687
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Does anyone know if the faulty radiator blinds are covered under CPO warranty?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 12:27 AM   #20
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxs1687 View Post
Does anyone know if the faulty radiator blinds are covered under CPO warranty?
They're covered under an additional warranty due to all the issues with them.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...60279-9999.pdf
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 10:40 AM   #21
Sxs1687
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonronEG View Post
They're covered under an additional warranty due to all the issues with them.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10160279-9999.pdf
Thanks for the info. I didn't see M550i on that list. I wonder if that model is covered as well. I'll research it a bit later today.

My CEL randomly turned on last night and the iDrive says nothing. I'm at 43k miles. Gas cap is on tight! The flaps seem to be working as they should. The ODBII reader I have (bought like 10 yrs ago when I had an Infiniti) keeps saying error when trying to connect so I ordered another reader that's known to work well with BMWs off of amazon just now. Hopefully whatever is causing the light is something small and covered! (Fingers crossed).
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 11:33 AM   #22
peteinpa
First Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

I had the same issue with the radiator blinds. Intermittent cel then it came on and stayed on. Covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0