BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications Four-wheel-drive system error message Xdrive

12-30-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
Zap-xpilot
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 ZCP 2017, 540ix 18 G31

Garage List
Four-wheel-drive system error message Xdrive

Hello guys,

Has anyone experienced the "four-wheel-drive system" error message and what is it?

A few days before Christmas our family was out in the forrest taking a walk. We had quite a lot of snow, so there was approximately 10cm fresh, cold and crunchy snow on the ground - beautiful.

On the way back we saw that our 540iX was the only car on the huge, outdoor snow-covered parking

After a brief discussion the wife and both kids piled inside the 540, I turned off all DSC nannies off (DSC off on the dash after a several second press) and we hooned it on the parking. It is amazing how much grip the studded Nokian tyres produce, the snow felt more like driving on sand. Also, the car feels amazingly rear-wheel driven with a strong hint of front tyres pulling you off in the desired direction. Like a rear-wheel BMW with amazing traction! Seriously impressed, we did a couple of power slides and a donut and everyone was having a blast.

After 5-7 minutes however the following error message came on board and DSC turned back on automatically.

I got out of the car and there was this faint, but distinct burnt smell, like a clutch or so. I got in the car and drove off, slightly concerned and the message was present for five minutes or so and then disappeared. It hasn't come back since, so I am not overly worried.

I pulled the logs from the OBD port later that day and saw this:

DSC

2 errors 48097D: TRANSFER CASE - CLUTCH POSITION OPEN, ONLY REAR-WHEEL DRIVE 480AFF: Unknown error

My guess is that the clutch-based transfer box to the front wheels overheated and triggered the error.

My question is a) has this detrimentally shortened the life of the X-drive system and b) shouldn't one expect Xdrive to be able to cope more than 5-7 minutes of full-on spirited driving?

Any thoughts or ideas are warmly appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
naylon
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 / G30 530ix

let us know what the problem is, and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 07:23 AM   #3
JohnEnglish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black

Yes, you over heated the front differential clutch so it's keeping it in RWD mode now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap-xpilot View Post
My question is a) has this detrimentally shortened the life of the X-drive system and b) shouldn't one expect Xdrive to be able to cope more than 5-7 minutes of full-on spirited driving?
a) probably not but I'd get it checked out at the dealer to be sure. b) that's what the M5 is for and why it has separate differential coolers. "Spirited driving" is very different that "hooning around a parking lot".
Appreciate 0