BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 530e electric range goes down with every software upgrade

10-03-2019, 06:44 PM   #1
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85, G30

I've had my 2018 530e for 20 months. When I first got it the electric range would show 21 after a full charge, 9 months and 10k miles later it was serviced and got a software upgrade and next morning the electric range showed 16, 20 months and 21,000 miles later (this week) got it serviced and a software upgrade and now electric range shows 11 in the morning? I live in Southern California so weather isn't impacting the results due to want vs cold. I don't know if the software is just getting updated to forecast the range more accurately or if I'm actually getting less range? Has anyone experienced this?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 07:43 PM   #2
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Worth asking the dealer to see how BMW measures battery degradation too. As your battery is warrantied for 10y/150K miles.
Appreciate 1
Bogey4me152.00
      10-04-2019, 08:03 AM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey4me View Post
I've had my 2018 530e for 20 months. When I first got it the electric range would show 21 after a full charge, 9 months and 10k miles later it was serviced and got a software upgrade and next morning the electric range showed 16, 20 months and 21,000 miles later (this week) got it serviced and a software upgrade and now electric range shows 11 in the morning? I live in Southern California so weather isn't impacting the results due to want vs cold. I don't know if the software is just getting updated to forecast the range more accurately or if I'm actually getting less range? Has anyone experienced this?
Mine does move around but for most of the past three months, in hot Arizona, it has been mostly 13 or 14. But the actual impact on battery usage seems about the same as before after adjusting for the hot summer temps.

If there is a trip you historically take of five miles or so on pure electric, try doing it again and see if there is an actual impact on your battery performance.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 12:18 PM   #4
Bogey4me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85, G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:
Mine does move around but for most of the past three months, in hot Arizona, it has been mostly 13 or 14. But the actual impact on battery usage seems about the same as before after adjusting for the hot summer temps.

If there is a trip you historically take of five miles or so on pure electric, try doing it again and see if there is an actual impact on your battery performance.
Good point. I drive the same 50 mile route from home to downtown LA and I run out of electric right about the time get to work. That hasn't changed. It's got to be very similar gas/electric everyday. So maybe there is no degradation, it's just that the gauge sucks.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 01:14 PM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Good point. I drive the same 50 mile route from home to downtown LA and I run out of electric right about the time get to work. That hasn't changed. It's got to be very similar gas/electric everyday. So maybe there is no degradation, it's just that the gauge sucks.
You got it. There are many considerations that go into the gauge: the weather, the temperature, your driving style, the route (if you are using the nav), etc.

I coded my car to use the Alpina display so my control display is the speedometer, the tach, the gas gauge and the oil gauge with just the miles remaining showing below the oil gauge. That is all I need. I use the miles remaining to allow me, when on local roads, to use up my electrons which I like to do (I bought the 530e primarily for environmental reasons).
Appreciate 0