BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions U.K. - Trackstar or Autowatch Tracking

10-19-2019, 06:07 AM   #1
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

U.K. - Trackstar or Autowatch Tracking

Has anyone had Trackstar or Autowatch Tracker (not Ghost) fitted and if so are they worth the installation and subscription costs.

Now BMW have sorted the keyless ‘scanner’ threat - are trackers still worth it ?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #2
ob2ob2
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G32 630d GT xDrive Msports

If you want to do it in a cheap way, you can find something like "GPS tracker" from Amazon, which you insert a PAYG SIM card, and hide it somewhere inside the car. It has built-in battery, about the size of a USB power bank. You only pay for your SIM card, no subscriptions.

In its descriptions, it says if something happened, you can send a text message to that SIM card number, it will then reply back with its current GPS location.

I didn't buy it, don't know if it works well or not. I bought the GAP insurance instead. If you have one, please share with us if this type of mobile tracker works well.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      10-23-2019, 02:09 AM   #3
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

I am still thinking about it. I get the car in about 2 weeks (it’s just finished production).
I enquired about Gap insurance and they said speak to the dealer. How much did you pay and for how many years cover
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 05:15 PM   #4
ob2ob2
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G32 630d GT xDrive Msports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wivenhoe View Post
I am still thinking about it. I get the car in about 2 weeks (it’s just finished production).
I enquired about Gap insurance and they said speak to the dealer. How much did you pay and for how many years cover
I pushed the sales to throw in with no additional cost. They said they have to show the full value on the invoice, as well as the paint protection. Give it a try.
Appreciate 0