BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing Low coolant 2021 M550

09-26-2021, 10:32 AM   #1
Chase k
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Low coolant 2021 M550

The low coolant message is on in my M550. Would it be ok to drive to the dealer that's around 50 miles away? I obviously can't get any BMW coolant on a Sunday, so what would be the best option to to top off?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 10:53 AM   #2
Trimark
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 540d Xdrive (340hp LC

You can top it up with distilled water or add coolant for aluminum radiators. The BMW branded coolant is similar to any other branded coolant for aluminum radiators.

Your coolant level must be very low, as the error message doesn't pop up when the coolant is slightly below minimum. Btw the M550 has two coolant tanks, you should check both. If you open the top, the coolant should be between min and max.
Appreciate 2
      09-26-2021, 11:02 AM   #3
Chase k
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimark View Post
You can top it up with distilled water or add coolant for aluminum radiators. The BMW branded coolant is similar to any other branded coolant for aluminum radiators.

Your coolant level must be very low, as the error message doesn't pop up when the coolant is slightly below minimum. Btw the M550 has two coolant tanks, you should check both. If you open the top, the coolant should be between min and max.
Now I just started the car, and there isn't any issues. Says everything is good….
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 04:01 PM   #4
Trimark
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 540d Xdrive (340hp LC

That's good news. You should still check the coolant level as the car only gives a warning when the coolant level is very low (almost dry). The engine should be cold. I generally top up the coolant every 6 months to keep it above minimum.

Here is a video showing the process:
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2021, 04:14 PM   #5
Sophisto540
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Garage List
2017 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase k View Post
Quote:

Now I just started the car, and there isn't any issues. Says everything is good….
You should still immediately pick up some coolant. I had a warning last week and I went straight to the auto parts store. They didn't have BMW approved coolant so I set off to go to the next store around the corner and the warning was no longer on.

I bought the Zerex G48 spec kind and the car was well below the minimum. It took a liter to top it off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
430Scud226.00
      09-26-2021, 04:14 PM   #6
Chase k
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's good news. You should still check the coolant level as the car only gives a warning when the coolant level is very low. The engine should be cold. I generally top up the coolant every 6 months to keep it above minimum.

Here is a video showing the process:
Thanks for sharing! I checked the coolant, and it's where it should be between the min and max. Hopefully was just some sort of glitch
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 04:15 PM   #7
Chase k
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto540 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

You should still immediately pick up some coolant. I had a warning last week and I went straight to the auto parts store. They didn't have BMW approved coolant so I set off to go to the next store around the corner and the warning was no longer on.

I bought the Zerex G48 spec kind and the car was well below the minimum. It took a liter to top it off.
Thanks so much for sharing! I will definitely do this
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 04:23 PM   #8
Sophisto540
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Garage List
2017 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks so much for sharing! I will definitely do this
The BMW coolant also requires you to mix it with distilled water on your own. Not that hard but annoying. Does make their concentrated brand cheaper than the stuff I bought.

Seems your issue, based on the more recent post may have actually been a glitch so you have time to order some BMW coolant and a couple jugs of distilled water.

Good luck and stay frosty!
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2021, 09:55 AM   #9
mffarrell
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i Porsche 911 turbo

It seems like some of these M550’s are losing coolant and smell of coolant. Mine has done it since new. I took it to the dealer, but they couldn’t find a leak. So, where is the coolant going to? And where is the coolant smell coming from?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 07:45 PM   #10
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

My 2020 M550i pop up low coolant today at 13,000kms. Checked and it was the main one (not turbo), topped up with about 500-750ml. No puddle underneath from where it was parked overnight.

Will call dealer Monday as others have said coolant shouldn’t just disappear unless there is a leak. Still have warranty and will push them to check it so it’s not a big expense post warranty.

Car runs fine so don’t think it’s a head gasket.

Just noted above I filled it a touch above max so will need to try and get some out. No idea how though as I’m away from home.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 04:54 PM   #11
rickyjoelbobby
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550xi

I had the same low coolant message yesterday. I started the car today and no message, drove a bit then decided I better check. Called the dealership first, couldn’t reach anyone. Left a message and no reply before they closed for the Holiday weekend. I had a HARD time getting the back/right high pressure engine coolant system cap off, (there are two caps as mentioned and the front one is the turbos) you really have to push down and turn hard. Eventually got that off and realized it was below min, couldn’t even see the coolant. I see someone on here recommended the G48 Zerex coolant but (after hours at multiple auto parts stores) this is a blue coolant and BMW changed in 2018-current to the Valvoline HT-12 green coolant in their cars. Online it does say green is backwards compatible with blue but then blue isn’t compatible with green but then I saw the reverse in other places. The auto parts guys didn’t know, so I didn’t chance it. You cannot seem to find a Valvoline HT-12 replacement/proxy, and I’m not near a dealership to drop in and all European parts stores were closed all weekend, so I just added distilled water. Mine took .75 quarts to fill up, but I’ll need to drive some and check again. That only changes my 50/50 ratio to like 45/55 since it is a 9.25 quart system, so shouldn’t be an issue. I’m definitely ordering some Valvoline or BMW HT-12 and keeping some in my car, I can’t believe they didn’t mention to me it needs it probably every 6 months and you can’t buy it! I’ll be speaking to them when I take it in for service next, what a fiasco. Anyway, I agree if it says it is low don’t assume it is a sensor, especially on a newer car. And be sure to check both reservoirs. Anyone have any thoughts on the best in-store antifreeze proxy/replacement to use for top-off? The more I read I was too nervous to take a chance and I kept seeing conflicting information. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 01:34 PM   #12
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyjoelbobby View Post
I had the same low coolant message yesterday. I started the car today and no message, drove a bit then decided I better check. Called the dealership first, couldn’t reach anyone. Left a message and no reply before they closed for the Holiday weekend. I had a HARD time getting the back/right high pressure engine coolant system cap off, (there are two caps as mentioned and the front one is the turbos) you really have to push down and turn hard. Eventually got that off and realized it was below min, couldn’t even see the coolant. I see someone on here recommended the G48 Zerex coolant but (after hours at multiple auto parts stores) this is a blue coolant and BMW changed in 2018-current to the Valvoline HT-12 green coolant in their cars. Online it does say green is backwards compatible with blue but then blue isn’t compatible with green but then I saw the reverse in other places. The auto parts guys didn’t know, so I didn’t chance it. You cannot seem to find a Valvoline HT-12 replacement/proxy, and I’m not near a dealership to drop in and all European parts stores were closed all weekend, so I just added distilled water. Mine took .75 quarts to fill up, but I’ll need to drive some and check again. That only changes my 50/50 ratio to like 45/55 since it is a 9.25 quart system, so shouldn’t be an issue. I’m definitely ordering some Valvoline or BMW HT-12 and keeping some in my car, I can’t believe they didn’t mention to me it needs it probably every 6 months and you can’t buy it! I’ll be speaking to them when I take it in for service next, what a fiasco. Anyway, I agree if it says it is low don’t assume it is a sensor, especially on a newer car. And be sure to check both reservoirs. Anyone have any thoughts on the best in-store antifreeze proxy/replacement to use for top-off? The more I read I was too nervous to take a chance and I kept seeing conflicting information. Thanks!
Same Car as you and same experience. I had to use channel locks to get that damn cap off. I'm betting you can also smell coolant when you park in garage, etc. My car has been in twice. Its bullshit. The Dealer is going to tell you that its "normal" for these motors to burn coolant. It's not. Then they will "pressure test" the system and tell you nothing is wrong. I swapped my cap out with a brand new one from BMW. They had it in stock and it was about $25, so do that. I've not had any issues getting the cap off since.

M5 engines have the same problem. It's likely there is a hairline crack in the reservoir that is causing it. But Dealerships like to play their game of "its normal". Very frustrating.

Just fill it up with bottled water and you're good to go until you can get it into them. My car has done this twice with just a tad over 13,000 miles on the odo. Mine has the green coolant also, not the blue.

Good luck!
      09-04-2022, 05:50 PM   #13
H_T
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m550i

Garage List
2021 BMW m550i  [0.00]
I think it is supposed to be distilled water to hold you over. Also a BMW tech said that it is a safety feature where you can't open a hot cap (which can be over an hour). He sprayed compressed air to cool off the cap so he can get it off.

I don't know if it is BS, but I had a hard time getting the cap off just to check when it was sitting in the garage overnight.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 11:19 AM   #14
Ahulaj
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 bmw m550i

Quote:
The low coolant message is on in my M550. Would it be ok to drive to the dealer that's around 50 miles away? I obviously can't get any BMW coolant on a Sunday, so what would be the best option to to top off?
My 2022 m550 has this issue quite a bit. Local dealer said “theyre twin turbo v8’s! Theyre going to burn coolant”….. which essentially made me lost trust in that employee. How does it burn coolant when its 12 degrees farenheit outside?

Buddy of mine has the 2022 M5c - his has low coolant message even more often than I do. The conclusion we came up with - these cars leak coolant when sitting in idle
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 01:18 PM   #15
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahulaj View Post
My 2022 m550 has this issue quite a bit. Local dealer said “theyre twin turbo v8’s! Theyre going to burn coolant”….. which essentially made me lost trust in that employee. How does it burn coolant when its 12 degrees farenheit outside?

Buddy of mine has the 2022 M5c - his has low coolant message even more often than I do. The conclusion we came up with - these cars leak coolant when sitting in idle
Dealer rep is an idiot. Ask him why a sealed, pressurized system burns coolant, and more importantly, "how" it burns coolant. What an idiot.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 06:36 AM   #16
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
These cars do not consume coolant. Cars in general do not consume coolant in the span of a year or even three years. If you are losing coolant and getting the low coolant message, you have a leak. Often the leak is from the turbo coolant lines and they drip on the valley pan and burn off. Nothing to see on the floor or the engine bay. Dealer will tell you it is "normal" until it starts leaking to the point they take a good hard look. For me, this was when the burn off started to send a putrid smell through the vents that would make your eyes water and your nose burn. Brought it in, the smell was obvious and left with the new updated coolant lines. This was over a year ago, not one low coolant warning since. I was adding coolant every other month until then. Tell your dealer your eyes are burning and your nose is watering even if it isn't.
      01-30-2023, 10:27 AM   #17
mffarrell
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i Porsche 911 turbo

I had the same symptoms as everyone above. I had it in the shop 3 times, no problem found. Finally, the large coolant tank was replaced and that seemed to fix my coolant loss and smell problem.
Appreciate 2
Joe-BMW337040.50
admranger2981.50
      03-11-2023, 08:40 PM   #18
FishPhoenix
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i

I had the low coolant warning pop up yesterday morning in my 2022 M550i. Approx 15,000 miles. When I went back out with distilled water and turned the car back on the warning was gone. I went to the dealer and picked up a gallon of BMW coolant and checked both reservoirs. The turbo reservoir needed only a tiny splash but the main tank took almost a half gallon.

Additionally, both caps were nearly impossible to remove by hand.

I’ll take it to the dealer next week and see what they say. I had the first service a few months ago and they obviously didn’t check the fluids. Frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 04:53 PM   #19
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishPhoenix View Post
I’ll take it to the dealer next week and see what they say. I had the first service a few months ago and they obviously didn’t check the fluids. Frustrating.
It's conceivable that a leak developed within the span of 1 month, especially if you live in a colder climate where the thermal expansion gradients are larger.

Just ask the folks what could have caused the low coolant since you just had it in there a month ago. Don't suggest issues or cast doubt that they looked at the coolant reservoir. Let them step up and help you. Maybe they will. Maybe they won't. I guarantee they won't if you tell them they didn't check the reservoir when you were there a month ago.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2023, 06:43 AM   #20
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
It's conceivable that a leak developed within the span of 1 month, especially if you live in a colder climate where the thermal expansion gradients are larger.

Just ask the folks what could have caused the low coolant since you just had it in there a month ago. Don't suggest issues or cast doubt that they looked at the coolant reservoir. Let them step up and help you. Maybe they will. Maybe they won't. I guarantee they won't if you tell them they didn't check the reservoir when you were there a month ago.
The problem is some dealers dismiss it as normal consumption, it is in the manual. We all know these cars don't consume coolant in a short period of time. For me it was a matter of the leak eventually rearing its ugly head.

I agree, don't accuse them of anything. But I do think mentioning you smell a faint scent of coolant coming through the vents will get them to look a little harder, especially at the valley pan where it burns off without a visible trace unless they did in and look for the white powder.
      03-14-2023, 05:57 PM   #21
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post

I agree, don't accuse them of anything. But I do think mentioning you smell a faint scent of coolant coming through the vents will get them to look a little harder, especially at the valley pan where it burns off without a visible trace unless they did in and look for the white powder.
Especially if you happen to mention that the smell also makes your eyes water a little as you’re hyper sensitive.

Appreciate 3
      03-20-2023, 12:53 PM   #22
cclcal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i, H Palisade, Tesla 3

2018 M550 - same issue here. Been topping off coolant into the expansion tank every few weeks.
I dont have any smell nor puddle anywhere. No dried coolant that I can see.

was told to remove engine cover to look for dried coolant down in the V.
Appreciate 0