BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum DIY Discussions / Guides / Instructions G30 520d P0401 Flow Insufficient Detected code - possible to DIY clean EGR Valve?

05-13-2021, 08:11 PM   #1
arkhambliss
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d G30

G30 520d P0401 Flow Insufficient Detected code - possible to DIY clean EGR Valve?

Hi guys,

Got this code appearing on my March 2017 G30 in the UK. Doesn't seem like my car is part of the EGR Recall when I put my VIN in on BMW's website. As per title, how hard is it clean the EGR valve? I can find youtube videos for previous generations but not for the G30. I have read the service manual on replacing the G30 EGR valve and it seems pretty straightforward. There's just some things that I'm not too sure about.

1. It wants me to remove the Underbody protection of the steering gear and the Front stiffening plate?
2. It wants me to Connect diagnosis system and carry out the service function "setting the egr valve installation position". Can this done via E-sys or something else?
3. When putting it back, it wants me to renew gasket and if necessary, renew clamp.
4. It wants me to fill the coolant again - wouldnt have thought they'd be much loss if I clamp the coolant hose?

Has anyone ever DIY this before and if not, how much did it cost to do at the garage? I'm not sure if an independent garage will do it properly as per the service manual since it's a newish car - so needs access to the diagnosis system.

Alternatively, it looks like a USED G30 EGR valve and cooler is only about £140.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 07:56 AM   #2
bimz
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 5 Series G30

did you end up getting this issue resolved by any chance...having a nightmare atm, engine bay smoked out and found all the parts connecting to the EGR cooler had practically melted!
Appreciate 0