BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing Alternate Jack locations

07-17-2021, 11:34 PM   #1
JB123
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i X-drive

Alternate Jack locations

I recently bought a 2018 M550i in March and it’s due for an oil change. I see the four jack points on the body (behind front wheels and in front of rear wheels) but obviously if I jack the car up using these spots I can’t put the jack stands there to support it while I change the oil. Generally there is a jack mount under the engine but I was unable to locate anything with all the undercarriage panels that are there. Is there an alternate jack point under the engine and rear of the car? Rear diff can often be used but is recommended against by some. Usually there is a cross member under the engine that can be used as well. The manual only shows the four jack points by the wheels and makes no mention of anything else. Any help would be appreciated. Pics appreciated even more. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 06:26 PM   #2
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB123 View Post
I recently bought a 2018 M550i in March and it’s due for an oil change. I see the four jack points on the body (behind front wheels and in front of rear wheels) but obviously if I jack the car up using these spots I can’t put the jack stands there to support it while I change the oil. Generally there is a jack mount under the engine but I was unable to locate anything with all the undercarriage panels that are there. Is there an alternate jack point under the engine and rear of the car? Rear diff can often be used but is recommended against by some. Usually there is a cross member under the engine that can be used as well. The manual only shows the four jack points by the wheels and makes no mention of anything else. Any help would be appreciated. Pics appreciated even more. Thanks.
There is a crossmember or brace in the center of the car that I used to Jack it up. I used the Jack points for the Jack stands. If you take a look under the car, there is plastic everywhere except the middle where you can Jack the car from.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 02:48 PM   #3
txm550i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB123 View Post
Researching this on the Internet I came across this diagram from this link: https://bmw5seriesreview.blogspot.co...ng-points.html

Not sure what document this is but it looks like a BMW document.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
430Scud241.00
540iSUP703.00
      07-30-2021, 10:46 AM   #4
430Scud
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550iX,430 Scud,E39 540Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by txm550i View Post
Researching this on the Internet I came across this diagram from this link: https://bmw5seriesreview.blogspot.co...ng-points.html

Not sure what document this is but it looks like a BMW document.
Be careful with the link in the above post! I was trying to enlarge the pictures and by clicking on them, I got a bunch of malware on my computer with dozens of pop ups for buying virus protection. Scanning now to remove it....sigh....

Last edited by 430Scud; 07-30-2021 at 11:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 10:34 PM   #5
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

Looking at that photo, I use position 1 for oil changes.
Appreciate 0