BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding 3G or 4G?

08-12-2022, 05:23 PM   #23
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaphouston View Post
Thanks for this. Very helpful.
You're welcome. As I read through the article, I see one "major" inaccuracy. It has to do with the description of the shift from analog to digital. The reality is that "ALL" radio signals are analog. The digital vs analog distinction is at the baseband level, not the physical layer.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 05:26 PM   #24
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
My understanding is, unlike the F10, the G30+ is upgradeable. IMHO, it was criminal for BMW to use 3G in the F10 when 4G had already been commissioned.
I'll believe it when I see it. Hopefully it is.
      08-12-2022, 05:27 PM   #25
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaphouston View Post
Yes, I realize I replied to LogicalApex with "smart ass". That was a mistake. That was meant for you LOL. If you scroll up, he gave me the info I needed and I replied with "thanks". The SA comment to him was meant for you.

Regardless, thanks for the info above. After 2 days of this I finally got everything updated but not with BMW's help. It's all been through my own research. I find most of those associated with BMW to be lacking in knowledge. Hugely lacking. I am glad to know that the LTE radio in my car has some years left on it. That was my next research project. Thank you.
So, I'm slightly less than a smart ass? I'd like to sleep better tonight. lol
      08-12-2022, 05:31 PM   #26
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
You're welcome. As I read through the article, I see one "major" inaccuracy. It has to do with the description of the shift from analog to digital. The reality is that "ALL" radio signals are analog. The digital vs analog distinction is at the baseband level, not the physical layer.
This is probably a more accurate technical article on LTE vs LTE-A. Both 4G technologies regardless of what at&t thinks.

https://www.rfwireless-world.com/Ter...-Advanced.html
      08-12-2022, 05:39 PM   #27
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
For those wondering about why you can't simply get a software update to move frome one technology to another, it's due to a couple of key things. First, the frequency that the different technologies operate at drive the analog parts of the radio like the antenna, amplifiers, etc. The cond depends on the bandwidth of the signals and if the old system can receive the wider signals. Some of these things can be done using software defined radio implementations vs. Specific chips that implement a particular standard. That generally costs more, and won't overcome all the problems. Cell phones have multiple chip sets to provide multi-mode compatibility. The mass production of these chipsets is what keeps the cost/unit low.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 08:19 PM   #28
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
For those wondering about why you can't simply get a software update to move frome one technology to another, it's due to a couple of key things. First, the frequency that the different technologies operate at drive the analog parts of the radio like the antenna, amplifiers, etc. The cond depends on the bandwidth of the signals and if the old system can receive the wider signals. Some of these things can be done using software defined radio implementations vs. Specific chips that implement a particular standard. That generally costs more, and won't overcome all the problems. Cell phones have multiple chip sets to provide multi-mode compatibility. The mass production of these chipsets is what keeps the cost/unit low.
The technology limitations in going from 4G to 5G, etc. mostly live in the digital domain. 1's and 0's. Analog (RF bands) simply carry the digital radio signals. Sure, when transitioning to another new generation of cellular this might include new RF bands that were previously not included in the radio designs from the previous gen. However, many of today's radios are software defined (SDR) and can often be reprogrammed to include these newer frequencies. But the next limitation might be antenna design.... I could keep going on....
      08-12-2022, 10:06 PM   #29
kaphouston
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
So, I'm slightly less than a smart ass? I'd like to sleep better tonight. lol
Most definitely. You've redeemed yourself. LOL
Appreciate 0