BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Connect Drive plus 80% price increase 😡

08-12-2022, 04:40 PM   #1
Jonny2400
Private
Rep
Drives: G30 530d X Drive M Sport

Connect Drive plus 80% price increase 😡

My connected drive plus package has just expired, the connect plus used to give, real time traffic info, news, weather and USB map updates.

While I find the news and weather pointless, I find value in the map updates and real time traffic info, last August it was £99 for 12 months.

Fast forward to 2022 and BMW have now scrapped the connect drive plus and you need the connected booster package £100 and the £80, 12 month Map update package.

The only one benefit for the extra £80 is OTA updates vs USB updates, and some silly Alexa add on.. am more keen driving my car, than talking to it .. besides it does work on G30s pre 2019.. what a rip off.

Before someone points it out, yes I know you can get someone to code you car or heavens forbid even use Apple Car play added �� to use other maps, I have ZERO interest in either option, I am simply pointing out a 80% price increase to have useful sat Nav, which is current and let’s you know about traffic Jams is disgusting.

Last edited by Jonny2400; 08-12-2022 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 05:06 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny2400 View Post
My connected drive plus package has just expired, the connect plus used to give, real time traffic info, news, weather and USB map updates.

While I find the news and weather pointless, I find value in the map updates and real time traffic info, last August it was £99 for 12 months.

Fast forward to 2022 and BMW have now scrapped the connect drive plus and you need the connected booster package £100 and the £80, 12 month Map update package.

The only one benefit for the extra £80 is OTA updates vs USB updates, and some silly Alexa add on.. am more keen driving my car, than talking to it .. besides it does work on G30s pre 2019.. what a rip off.

Before someone points it out, yes I know you can get someone to code you car or heavens forbid even use Apple Car play added �� to use other maps, I have ZERO interest in either option, I am simply pointing out a 80% price increase to have useful sat Nav, which is current and let’s you know about traffic Jams is disgusting.
There are free map updates. shawnsheridan (sp) has the info and links. The RTTI is another issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 04:11 AM   #3
r1cero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 520d g30

I believe if you use fsc for free maps you wont be able to use bimmercode after.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 08:02 AM   #4
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny2400 View Post

Agreed. Very annoying but like you I don't go out in the car without using Google maps then rtti. The rest is window dressing. So I ditched the maps upgrade. Will wait until black Friday when there has began 20% off for the last few years
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 12:26 PM   #5
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1cero View Post
I believe if you use fsc for free maps you wont be able to use bimmercode after.
I haven't had an issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 02:26 PM   #6
Jonny2400
Private
Rep
Drives: G30 530d X Drive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephead2004 View Post
Agreed. Very annoying but like you I don't go out in the car without using Google maps then rtti. The rest is window dressing. So I ditched the maps upgrade. Will wait until black Friday when there has began 20% off for the last few years
Good Idea, I’ll wait for black Friday for maps too, as I’ve got the 2022 installed.
Appreciate 0