BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding CarPlay via iOS 13

06-03-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
I attended the Apple WWDC 2019 developer keynote today. iOS 13 will update CarPlay with a bunch of new features. Developers will get their hands on the first beta today. It will be released to the public in the fall. Screenshots coming soon...

https://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...se-with-ios-13
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      06-03-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
RLSinCO
Maximum Effort
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M550i

Very cool - thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 02:51 PM   #3
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 M550i Dinan S1, 340i

List of new Features:
  • CarPlay Dashboard An all-new view gives you a single place to keep track of maps, audio controls, and smart Siri suggestions.
  • Calendar app A redesigned Calendar app gives you a quick view of the day while you’re on the go. Just tap to get directions or dial in to a meeting.
  • Home screen redesign The CarPlay Home screen is refreshed with a modern look that features rounded corners, new table views, and a redesigned status bar.
  • Apple Music redesign A redesigned Apple Music tab makes it easier to discover new music and old favorites.
  • Album art in Now Playing Automakers can choose to showcase album art so it’s easier to find the perfect song, album, or playlist for your drive.
  • Bluetooth album art iOS supports the AVRCP 1.6 standard, which includes album art when connected to a supported car kit or speaker.
  • Apple Maps updates Apple Maps always appear on the dashboard, even when different points of interest pop up.
  • Junction View in Apple Maps Apple Maps in CarPlay features a more detailed view of intersections.
  • Smaller Siri screen Siri takes up only part of the screen, so you can keep an eye on things like directions while still making requests.
  • Adjustable screen size Automakers can develop CarPlay systems that change the size of the display dynamically.
  • Second video stream support Automakers can develop CarPlay systems that show information in a second screen, such as in a cluster or HUD.
  • Irregular screen size support Automakers can develop CarPlay systems that display edge to edge in nonrectangular screens.
  • Hey Siri support Automakers can develop CarPlay systems that can perform “Hey Siri” requests with native microphones.
  • Do Not Disturb While Driving You can enable Do Not Disturb While Driving in CarPlay so notifications won’t come through.
  • Light mode An alternative, easy-on-the-eyes light view for CarPlay.
  • Settings Now there’s a place to change display and Do Not Disturb settings.
  • Independent app views An app open on iPhone doesn’t affect what is open on the CarPlay screen, so passengers can pick a song on the device while the driver can keep looking at Maps.

Last edited by kring; 06-03-2019 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      06-03-2019, 05:30 PM   #4
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kring View Post
List of new Features:
  • CarPlay Dashboard An all-new view gives you a single place to keep track of maps, audio controls, and smart Siri suggestions.
  • Calendar app A redesigned Calendar app gives you a quick view of the day while you’re on the go. Just tap to get directions or dial in to a meeting.
  • Home screen redesign The CarPlay Home screen is refreshed with a modern look that features rounded corners, new table views, and a redesigned status bar.
  • Apple Music redesign A redesigned Apple Music tab makes it easier to discover new music and old favorites.
  • Album art in Now Playing Automakers can choose to showcase album art so it’s easier to find the perfect song, album, or playlist for your drive.
  • Bluetooth album art iOS supports the AVRCP 1.6 standard, which includes album art when connected to a supported car kit or speaker.
  • Apple Maps updates Apple Maps always appear on the dashboard, even when different points of interest pop up.
  • Junction View in Apple Maps Apple Maps in CarPlay features a more detailed view of intersections.
  • Smaller Siri screen Siri takes up only part of the screen, so you can keep an eye on things like directions while still making requests.
  • Adjustable screen size Automakers can develop CarPlay systems that change the size of the display dynamically.
  • Second video stream support Automakers can develop CarPlay systems that show information in a second screen, such as in a cluster or HUD.
  • Irregular screen size support Automakers can develop CarPlay systems that display edge to edge in nonrectangular screens.
  • Hey Siri support Automakers can develop CarPlay systems that can perform “Hey Siri” requests with native microphones.
  • Do Not Disturb While Driving You can enable Do Not Disturb While Driving in CarPlay so notifications won’t come through.
  • Light mode An alternative, easy-on-the-eyes light view for CarPlay.
  • Settings Now there’s a place to change display and Do Not Disturb settings.
  • Independent app views An app open on iPhone doesn’t affect what is open on the CarPlay screen, so passengers can pick a song on the device while the driver can keep looking at Maps.
I'm installing the developer beta right now...
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 07:43 PM   #5
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here's a few screenshots...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
bastula181.50
clee1982796.00
      06-03-2019, 07:44 PM   #6
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm most excited about having the ability to open the garage door from the iDrive screen. The maps app is a significant update as well.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      06-03-2019, 10:16 PM   #7
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
I'm most excited about having the ability to open the garage door from the iDrive screen. The maps app is a significant update as well.
Cool! What kind of opener do you have? Is it a MyQ?
Mediterranean Blue with Ivory White Nappa, Gray Poplar, Driving Assistance Plus, Premium, Exec, Parking Assistance, Heated Steering, Front+Rear Heated Seats, 20" Individual V-Spoke wheels 759i, 19" Style 786M winter wheels, Euro Amber Rear Turn Signals
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2019, 10:18 PM   #8
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastula View Post
Quote:
It sure is. I bought the MyQ home bridge along with it so it's HomeKit compatible.
Appreciate 1
bastula181.50
      06-03-2019, 11:26 PM   #9
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It sure is. I bought the MyQ home bridge along with it so it's HomeKit compatible.
Does it support multiple openers (MyQ) or do you need one per garage?
Mediterranean Blue with Ivory White Nappa, Gray Poplar, Driving Assistance Plus, Premium, Exec, Parking Assistance, Heated Steering, Front+Rear Heated Seats, 20" Individual V-Spoke wheels 759i, 19" Style 786M winter wheels, Euro Amber Rear Turn Signals
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2019, 11:40 PM   #10
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If you're talking about the MyQ bridge, I believe it supports two openers.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 12:59 AM   #11
bastula
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Great. I have 2 Liftmasters that I would like to set up.
335i Coupe - Retired
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2019, 07:35 AM   #12
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Great. I have 2 Liftmasters that I would like to set up.
Here is what the MyQ Home Bridge box looks like. I had to order mine directly off the MyQ website. I had a hard time finding it on Amazon or any retailer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
bastula181.50
      06-04-2019, 09:27 AM   #13
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
I watched it as well. Looks like I may entertain the idea of giving Apple Maps another shot at being my go to instead of Google Maps.

It's about time they give us Dark mode and a native swipe keyboard as well.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      06-04-2019, 09:32 AM   #14
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
I watched it as well. Looks like I may entertain the idea of giving Apple Maps another shot at being my go to instead of Google Maps.

It's about time they give us Dark mode and a native swipe keyboard as well.
It's good. I didn't take screenshots of Maps since I was at home.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 10:48 AM   #15
munna
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3

Kinda disappointing to see that it still does not display full screen even though they added this :

Irregular screen size support Automakers can develop CarPlay systems that display edge to edge in nonrectangular screens.
Appreciate 1
bastula181.50
      06-04-2019, 10:50 AM   #16
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna View Post
Kinda disappointing to see that it still does not display full screen even though they added this :

Irregular screen size support Automakers can develop CarPlay systems that display edge to edge in nonrectangular screens.
That's a BMW thing, not a CarPlay thing. iDrive 6 has split screen enabled by default. It requires a coding change and a modification to the head unit's CarPlay.ini file with the larger resolution and icon spacing.
Appreciate 2
munna129.00
clee1982796.00
      06-04-2019, 01:10 PM   #17
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Quote:
That's a BMW thing, not a CarPlay thing. iDrive 6 has split screen enabled by default. It requires a coding change and a modification to the head unit's CarPlay.ini file with the larger resolution and icon spacing.
Do you know how or know of anyone that can code this?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 01:24 PM   #18
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
Quote:
Almaretto can do it. I would have done it by now, but I'm going to wait until I receive the system update next time I take my car in for service.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      06-04-2019, 04:36 PM   #19
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Quote:
Almaretto can do it. I would have done it by now, but I'm going to wait until I receive the system update next time I take my car in for service.
I just did my first service last week and there wasn't an update to be done. Is there something other than the update option in the cars idrive menus?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #20
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I just did my first service last week and there wasn't an update to be done. Is there something other than the update option in the cars idrive menus?
A complete iDrive firmware update can't be done over the air. My car was built in November, so there's at least one revision since then.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #21
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm my experience UK dealers will only update if there is a problem. Never had a single update for my F31.

In regards to the Carplay full screen, tons of people on eBay offering this service. Looked last night, going rate seems to be £40-£50.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 04:58 PM   #22
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30

Does this mean I will be able to view carplay. On HUD?
Appreciate 0