BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Visual Comparison of G30 5 Series vs. Arch Rival E-Class

10-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #23
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barzul
exterior : 5 Series > E Class
interior : its a draw

I take 5 series everyday over the E
For the next 30 years I would as well ... by then I'll be old enough for a Merc
      10-13-2016, 02:26 PM   #24
E39hijinks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Lexus

Not a BMW fanboy at all. I've really praised other brands over BMW lately, especially Mercedes. Love the S-Class. But really, the G30 is FAR superior in every respect than the E-Class at least appearance wise (obviously nobody has seen one in person yet or driven it)

By FAR the BMW is the better/more interesting design. BY FAR. Tons more character. The E-Class is a big fat bloated wedge. The BMW is dynamic. Again... not a fan of BMW lately. Hate the F10. The F30 is an aging piece of junk (falls apart in a small overlap crash test crushing the drivers legs) and they are just overall bloated pigs. But BMW went in the right direction with this G30. I'm STUNNED. I'm extremely picky too. I complain about anything!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 4
      10-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #25
5against8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80. 3 pedals.

G30 wins. KO. The interiors are comparable and the Merc still might have a slight edge there but that doesn't tip the scale much.
      10-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #26
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34
Look wise, too close to call for me, they both look really good, matter of personal preference.

For previous generation, 5 was drastically better, more fun car to drive.
For this generation, I like interior of E class better, even though I'm not a big fan of the gauges "flat" look. The rest of dashboard, console, screen, seats and door looks much more modern and just fit all together better. Benz has more sleek, smooth, modern look for me, G30 seems to be sticking with slight update of their current design + cheaper looking navigation screen than before.
How can you infer any of that from these pictures?
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #27
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

@Jason can we get a comparison like this for F30 LCI, G30 5 series, and G11/12 7?
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 02:41 PM   #28
Jblack4083
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB

In my opinion, the G30 is the better looking car. I appreciate vehicle designs that look muscular, have character, and aren't too soft.

With that said, the E-Class has the G30 on elegance, understatedness, and design cohesiveness.

However, the G30 is far more muscular looking due to the hard character lines and aggressive edges/corners used. For this reason I also feel it has much more character.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have Audi which represents zero character to me. Mercedes (and BMW to a lesser extent) is also moving in the same "one sausage different lengths" direction Audi has moved in. The E-Class looks exactly like the S and C classes, more-so than the last generation ever did. Its too soft. Too much elegance, not enough character or moxy.

For buyers who appreciate these elements in vehicle design, the G30 will be a hit. Even more of a hit than the F10.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #29
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

I hate Mbenz current interiors..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #30
E90 Skye
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

The only merc that works with the current design language is the S class. b/c It's the only one with the presence/visual heft to make that land barge/1920s tapering rearward line work! On the C and E the design looks so out of place (especially on the C class). And I've seen a few of these W213 E classes around and I kept confusing them with the C until I noticed a few proportions that were different, and that's coming from an auto enthusiast. The G30 wins the exterior battle for sure, even if that side blade thing is dumb.

The interior is definitely closer than before... but I might have to give it to the merc... new merc interiors are amazing, even in the C (when optioned correctly).

BUT b/c of the exterior design, I can live with not having the nicest interior in class. B/c it's still a really good interior, just not quite as nice, where as the exterior of the E is blech to me....
now if I have to choose between a current S or 7... i'm going merc S... that thing makes sense of that design language in a way the rest of the lineup doesn't.
CURRENT - E36 M3 Alpine White | BC Coils | FROMERLY - 2006 Jet Black 330i | Premium Package | ZF AT | LUX 4.0 | Jlevi M3 Front Bumper | CF Mtech spoiler | Gloss Black Grill | Msport wheel | Blacklines | Koni FSD + Eibach Pro-kit | BMS PBX
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 03:10 PM   #31
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
I think this comparison clearly shows each companies philosophy that it's hard to say one is better than the other because they serve different purposes. I wouldn't want the 5er to look or closely follow the design language of an E-Class and vice versa. The 5er clearly looks more athletic and aggressive (sporty) vs. a more subtle, soft and laid back design of the E-Class.

The 5er looks good because it looks like it's supposed to and the same goes for the E-Class.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 03:11 PM   #32
AlexLou1222
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6M 2014 X1

I saw C class and E class side by side and can barely tell a difference, which is really bad thing. I love S-class coupe but since the E and C coupe look the same as the S, it's disgrace and deal breaker for me to get the only MB that I want. So no S63 coupe for me because the C and E.

The 3, 5, 7 looks similar but at least one can easily see the difference and tell which model it is, the G30 is modern and with right color combo it's stunning. So far, the next M5 and 911 GTS are two cars I'm considering to get once my X6M lease is up.
      10-13-2016, 03:14 PM   #33
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
How can you infer any of that from these pictures?
Which part sorry ?
Let me try to explain what I meant, no intention of being wise guy here, just trying to clarify what I meant.

- Sticking out navigation screen is a big fail in my opinion, it cheapens the great looking interior otherwise and breaks the flow side to side.
- The part where console meets the dash is not seamless in both 7 and 5 series like it is in Mercedes, so that then breaks the flow top to bottom.
- E class console and gear selector both look more like a single unit and don't have several different levels of height for different pieces "meeting" together.
- Mercedes dashboard is completely redesigned from previous model (that takes guts to do, take a risk for what you believe is right thing to do, and maybe alienate current owners) and looks like it belongs in 2016/17 where BMW is mild evolution from the previous model and while I can appreciate "classic" look they were going for, it's looking a bit tired.
- The part I don't like about E-class is a square feel around gauges that extends too far into the dash, but like I said sticking out navigation screen takes that advantage from G30 for me.

Exterior design like I said, both are gorgeous looking vehicles, matter of preference. I like G30 a bit better as it looks more sporty to me, but I also think this E series looks fantastic.

I know all of this is highly subjective, we all like different things, and after all I ended up buying BMW for a reason. I'm also not a designer, so perhaps I have no idea what I'm talking about here, but that's my criticism, based on my personal taste - what I feel could be done better in G30.

Last edited by Bbb34; 10-13-2016 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 03:39 PM   #34
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
The really sad part is that 10 years ago both the 5 series and E class were the most distinctive sedans of their respective brands. I'd say today the E class looks 90% like a C/S class while the 5 series looks about 80% like the 3/7 series. I wish we could go back to the days when each model had its own characteristic look.

As far as this comparison goes (IMHO):
Exterior : 5 series
Interior : E class
Overall : 5 series
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 04:02 PM   #35
Levente_CSL
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 csl

theres no comparison here. G30 just beats the shit out of that merc in every possible way. its so much better looking car
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 04:05 PM   #36
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysaurus View Post
The really sad part is that 10 years ago both the 5 series and E class were the most distinctive sedans of their respective brands. I'd say today the E class looks 90% like a C/S class while the 5 series looks about 80% like the 3/7 series. I wish we could go back to the days when each model had its own characteristic look.

As far as this comparison goes (IMHO):
Exterior : 5 series
Interior : E class
Overall : 5 series
That's what most if not all car manufacturers are moving to - it's about using one design to establish brand identity. I have no evidence to back this up but to me, it seems like car manufacturers don't really care to distinguish models, all they want you to know is that person is driving an Audi/BMW/Mercedes/Cadillac almost like they don't want to discriminate against their own models (yes, we know 7er>5er>3er). I'm not saying each manufacturer doesn't want to sell the highest margin vehicles, of course profit is still the goal, but the optics of it all - it doesn't matter which series you buy/drive, it's still a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 04:33 PM   #37
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
That's what most if not all car manufacturers are moving to - it's about using one design to establish brand identity. I have no evidence to back this up but to me, it seems like car manufacturers don't really care to distinguish models, all they want you to know is that person is driving an Audi/BMW/Mercedes/Cadillac almost like they don't want to discriminate against their own models (yes, we know 7er>5er>3er). I'm not saying each manufacturer doesn't want to sell the highest margin vehicles, of course profit is still the goal, but the optics of it all - it doesn't matter which series you buy/drive, it's still a BMW.
I think this is a good thing. It's even better that the smaller 3 and 5 are getting more of the features, technology, and interior quality that used to be reserved for the 5 or 7, respectively. I have always said that I want features to become a lot more similar between the small and large models in a company's portfolio. I'm tired of wanting to drive a smaller car and having to deal with lower quality leather, no vented seats, lesser sound system options, etc. just because I don't want a big car. I like the fact that we can now get "A BMW" in the size we want and there are fewer differences between the small, medium, and large.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 04:49 PM   #38
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Exterior easy goes to BMW. The new E is a product of when daddy S does a mommy C.

Interior is E all the way. Don't judge the pictures, you have to see it to believe it. It's absolutely stunning. Maybe I'm blown away by it because I've been a benz driver for over a decade but I think the new E is so hot anyone could appreciate it.
      10-13-2016, 04:51 PM   #39
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

It's just a matter of personal preference. While the 5er is a little less cohesive, it does look more dynamic and sporty. Younger buyers won't like the look of the E-class much. Personally I find it to be very understated. The S and C turned out better.

Interior-wise...the Mercedes feels more special from a design standpoint. The Bimmer is perfectly suitable for its class though, but isn't as flashy. It's not a let down like the interior design of the 7er, which feels very mundane next to the S-class.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 04:53 PM   #40
cbertels
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 YMB-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inablur
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 PET View Post
E Class < G30
Fixed that for ya!

Nailed it!
Appreciate 1
Inablur163.00
      10-13-2016, 04:58 PM   #41
sdshah
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 | Panamera GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvding
I hate Mbenz current interiors..
Have you ever been in one? It is far ahead of BMW current models. BMW is late as usual. The current S class is a better interior or be in than the current 7 as well.
Appreciate 1
P1 PET396.00
      10-13-2016, 05:19 PM   #42
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdshah View Post
Have you ever been in one? It is far ahead of BMW current models. BMW is late as usual. The current S class is a better interior or be in than the current 7 as well.
That clown face steering wheel from the S is enough to dislike the interior.
They will get rid of it with the LCI.
Other than that it's a matter of taste.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 05:22 PM   #43
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Hmm?

Its not that I dislike the new 5, but the E-class actually looks really good side by side with the G30.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 05:26 PM   #44
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

I can't remember the last time a Mercedes sedan design got me excited. They literally look like bloated whales.

The G30 looks great in this comparison.
Appreciate 0