BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions OFFICIAL: The new M550d Xdrive Touring - 4 turbos, 400hp

04-28-2017, 03:04 AM   #89
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
I'm not sure when in a globalised, consumer led, free trading, liberal economic world we began to so many restrictions on which cars we can buy because the manufacturers claim we don't want to buy it.

It beggars belief
Some of it is simple cost based commercial decisions.

Type approval costs, and support of a particular product have to be amortised across the production/sales. Unless of course BMW are prepared to sale a particular model at a loss.

For example, RHD conversion for UK sales may just not be worth the production development and hassle, if sales don't support the costs.

xDrive for the UK market, on earlier saloon/touring platforms, required some major revisions to fit the hardware. Therefore we never got them, even though there was a demand. Once the platforms were developed with RHD conversion as part of the brief, we could have product.

There may be technical restrictions on the M550d, the extra turbos may be interfering with the steering mechanism.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 06:30 AM   #90
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
I'm not sure when in a globalised, consumer led, free trading, liberal economic world we began to so many restrictions on which cars we can buy because the manufacturers claim we don't want to buy it.

It beggars belief

Type approval costs, and support of a particular product have to be amortised across the production/sales. Unless of course BMW are prepared to sale a particular model at a loss.

For example, RHD conversion for UK sales may just not be worth the production development and hassle, if sales don't support the costs.

xDrive for the UK market, on earlier saloon/touring platforms, required some major revisions to fit the hardware. Therefore we never got them, even though there was a demand. Once the platforms were developed with RHD conversion as part of the brief, we could have product.

There may be technical restrictions on the M550d, the extra turbos may be interfering with the steering mechanism.
All valid points but surely an import / special order of a vehicle already made and on sale in other countries in the same drive configuration should be pretty straightforward. BMW are happy to let you spend 5000 quid on a custom paint job, why not on a special order?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 06:34 AM   #91
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

It beggars belief

Doesn't globalisation simply mean the restrictions are more visible? In order to support g31 Bmw would need to ensure all their outfits in Usa are geared up for it from ordering to servicing.

A smaller company could do this no doubt more flexibly but I assume BMW have calculators to hand to figure what is best financially for them.

Also if tourings do make it over there then it cuts more into the SUV market which is clearly a bigger stake for Usa since they make them there.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 11:22 AM   #92
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
Doesn't globalisation simply mean the restrictions are more visible? In order to support g31 Bmw would need to ensure all their outfits in Usa are geared up for it from ordering to servicing.

A smaller company could do this no doubt more flexibly but I assume BMW have calculators to hand to figure what is best financially for them.

Also if tourings do make it over there then it cuts more into the SUV market which is clearly a bigger stake for Usa since they make them there.
There is obviously an interest in wagons (tourings) from some US members on the forum.

Other members have clearly stated in other topics, that wagons are not in fashion in the US. If the SUV is the vehicle of choice, and wagons are a very small market, I guess BMW NA won't opt to import and support wagon sales.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #93
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunker
Quote:
Is the US getting M550i wagon (tourer)?
facepalm

no m8
No Touring models of any kind will be sold in the US. the company focuses on Suv's for this market...
      04-28-2017, 11:35 AM   #94
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
All valid points but surely an import / special order of a vehicle already made and on sale in other countries in the same drive configuration should be pretty straightforward. BMW are happy to let you spend 5000 quid on a custom paint job, why not on a special order?
Supplying, getting type approvals, certificates of conformity and supporting a few sales, is far different than supporting a custom paint with a few cans of paint if required.

Looking at the G30/31, my choice would be a RWD 540i touring. But in BMW's wisdom, BMW UK is only importing the xDrive version. I sense sales are not expected to be high, (535i sales were small), BMW have opted for only one 540i chassis type. So if I fancy a 540i, it will have to be xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #95
clbmw
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Supplying, getting type approvals, certificates of conformity and supporting a few sales, is far different than supporting a custom paint with a few cans of paint if required.

Looking at the G30/31, my choice would be a RWD 540i touring. But in BMW's wisdom, BMW UK is only importing the xDrive version. I sense sales are not expected to be high, (535i sales were small), BMW have opted for only one 540i chassis type. So if I fancy a 540i, it will have to be xDrive.
I wonder if the flattening of the road tax structure and muttering of charges on diesel will change anything in terms of bigger petrols sold... not quickly, but I can only speak for myself and I'm certainly more hesitant about getting a diesel when I change my 3er
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 07:34 PM   #96
USDMM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 JB e93 DCT

Dealer told me that 5 series wagon is coming stateside for 2018!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 01:57 AM   #97
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDMM3 View Post
I think you can only believe him if you can place an order ;-)
      04-29-2017, 06:35 AM   #98
clbmw
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDMM3 View Post
I think you can only believe him if you can place an order ;-)
Might be worth trying!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 07:19 AM   #99
USDMM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 JB e93 DCT

I'll put down a deposit and see what happens. : ) stay tuned.
Appreciate 2
clbmw631.00
      05-01-2017, 06:40 AM   #100
nsa100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i & G30 540i M Sport

Quote:
Well if true that is good news. I don't count my chickens though...
It seems like it could be true!!!.........
https://www.carwow.co.uk/news/bmw-5-...ease-date-3593
Appreciate 1
clbmw631.00
      05-01-2017, 07:15 AM   #101
UltimateManga
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa100 View Post
Quote:
Well if true that is good news. I don't count my chickens though...
It seems like it could be true!!!.........
https://www.carwow.co.uk/news/bmw-5-...ease-date-3593
It's definitely coming as BMW GB has confirmed this. I can't wait to get my hands on one this is gona be a tool!
Appreciate 1
clbmw631.00
      05-01-2017, 08:18 AM   #102
SO17
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MY M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateManga View Post
It's definitely coming as BMW GB has confirmed this. I can't wait to get my hands on one this is gona be a tool!
I've just been to my local dealership to test drive a 530D Xdrive to see if the size isn't too much ( I'm currently in an M4) and he said that he received a bulletin on Saturday confirming the M550D will be coming to the UK. I've told him I'm definitely interested and to keep me up to date as further info becomes available.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #103
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
All I want is those wheels.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 01:23 PM   #104
clbmw
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO17 View Post
Quote:
I've just been to my local dealership to test drive a 530D Xdrive to see if the size isn't too much ( I'm currently in an M4) and he said that he received a bulletin on Saturday confirming the M550D will be coming to the UK. I've told him I'm definitely interested and to keep me up to date as further info becomes available.
Any further info. Just been chatting to my local dealer and they are thinking it is not coming to the U.K.:
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 04:52 PM   #105
clbmw
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO17 View Post
Quote:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/5-s...ming-to-the-uk

Sorry to be breaking this, seems to back up what dealer said today...

Same old excuses. Lame
Appreciate 0