BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Well that was quick

10-21-2017, 10:55 AM   #67
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
My only real niggle at the moment is the steering feels 'different' on tight bends and roundabouts to the demonstrator I tried (which had the exact same suspension, wheels and tyres). My steering feels 'sticky' on those bends like the wheel is a little bit slow to self centre. I found myself 'manually' returning the wheel to centre, as if it lacks some of the resistance you feel when the wheel is normally turned that pulls the wheel back to centre. I wonder if its because everything is so new and tight - of the 200 or so miles only about 10 of those were not in a straight line on the motorway... It did start to improve towards the end. We will see.
Good to read you are happy with the car.

Give the tyres a chance to scuff off. A bit more grip should help it to self-centre better.

Worth checking the pressures as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 11:01 AM   #68
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Car looks great enjoy
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

Give the tyres a chance to scuff off. A bit more grip should help it to self-centre better.

Will do! I forget that everything is new - tyres, brakes, suspension; its not just the engine that breaks-in.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #69
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Quote:
Yep! Sorry - just didn't get a chance to post yesterday. What a day! 4 hour drive (including lovely M25 stop/start traffic), got home showed the wife and then we had to head out to get our train London almost right away! Got the first 200+ plus miles of break in done at least!

Extremely happy with the car, looks great inside & out and really comfortable for me even on a 4 hour drive which is a lot to ask for as I'm 6'7 and generally not comfortable in most cars due to driving position.

Took a few very quick and dirty (literally) pictures but haven't had a chance to clean it since it arrived.

The long drive was great though, with the traffic I had a good chance to play with the idrive etc and get everything set up how I want it.

The HK system when I first turned it on felt like they had forgot to install the underseat subs, but over the curse of the journey the woofers started to come alive as they began to break in and now it sounds great to my non-fussy ears, it goes loud and has decent bass which is pretty much all i'm after. I'm not an audiophile at all.

Even staying below the break-in max revs (4.5k) I can tell that the 40i is a very capable engine; in the right mode for the situation it is extremely versatile and almost chameleon like in its characteristics going from eco - sport plus and everything in between.

Its very early of course and the car is still pretty much new, but my initial thoughts are I'm extremely happy with the car. Wouldn't change any of my choices at this point. I did feel the cubby under the steering wheel and totally agree that it feels cheap compared to the F10 one, but I never used that anyway so won't worry about that too much .

My only real niggle at the moment is the steering feels 'different' on tight bends and roundabouts to the demonstrator I tried (which had the exact same suspension, wheels and tyres). My steering feels 'sticky' on those bends like the wheel is a little bit slow to self centre. I found myself 'manually' returning the wheel to centre, as if it lacks some of the resistance you feel when the wheel is normally turned that pulls the wheel back to centre. I wonder if its because everything is so new and tight - of the 200 or so miles only about 10 of those were not in a straight line on the motorway... It did start to improve towards the end. We will see.

Overall verdict =

Car looks great enjoy
Looks great and refined. Congrats. Alpine white suits G30 MSport a lot.
      10-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #70
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

Still taking it all in... Really enjoying the smoothness and the way it seems to 'glide' at lower speeds.

But will also say the steering is much lighter than my previous F10 - and far too much shiny/fingerprint attracting plastics around the iDrive and heating controls.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 05:14 PM   #71
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1gma View Post
Still taking it all in... Really enjoying the smoothness and the way it seems to 'glide' at lower speeds.

But will also say the steering is much lighter than my previous F10 - and far too much shiny/fingerprint attracting plastics around the iDrive and heating controls.
That colour is lovely, congrats

How many miles have you done so far?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 05:28 PM   #72
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Looks great and refined. Congrats. Alpine white suits G30 MSport a lot.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 12:35 AM   #73
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Congrats, that's a helluva car indeed and glad you're very happy with it which is nice
My only gripe on mine's drive is I feel the car is posing some kinda of vibrations like pulsations thru the driver's seat not steering wheel and it does happen at certain speeds .I don't know whether that's the beauty of Goodyear Run Flat Tires .I'm running 34-35 PSI all round,wheels are 17" non M Package
Happy Driving
      10-22-2017, 04:20 PM   #74
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
Congrats, that's a helluva car indeed and glad you're very happy with it which is nice
My only gripe on mine's drive is I feel the car is posing some kinda of vibrations like pulsations thru the driver's seat not steering wheel and it does happen at certain speeds .I don't know whether that's the beauty of Goodyear Run Flat Tires .I'm running 34-35 PSI all round,wheels are 17" non M Package
Happy Driving
Is that vibration at all speeds?

Quote:

Pleased to report after checking the pressures, I was around 3 psi low all round - topped them up and the steering feels fine. The 'sensation' that I was finding hard to describe is gone, and the car handles just as the demonstrator did that I originally tested. Feels great. It may be a little light, but it is very precise and accurate, tracks very straight and has no slack/centre play. For electronic steering, its very good.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 11:43 PM   #75
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Probably a bit lazy. What I do is to pump the tyres when tyre pressure setting is at 'full loaded setting'. Then switch back to 'partial loaded setting'. Thus I did not need to pump my tyre for like 6 months or so.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 11:49 PM   #76
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep

Quote:
Is that vibration at all speeds?

No,not at all speeds ,I have not taken too much attention to that but it happens between 75 KP/H and all the way up to 95 KP/H .It feels like the car is rocking from left to right
      10-23-2017, 02:38 AM   #77
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Congrats mobilejo. Looks great and glad to hear you are enjoying the car.
Appreciate 1
mobilejo1110.00
      10-23-2017, 05:39 PM   #78
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No,not at all speeds ,I have not taken too much attention to that but it happens between 75 KP/H and all the way up to 95 KP/H .It feels like the car is rocking from left to right
Could it be rear wheels out of balance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Congrats mobilejo. Looks great and glad to hear you are enjoying the car.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 12:57 AM   #79
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep

Quote:
Could it be rear wheels out of balance?
I thought same thing but the chances for it must be very weak considering mileage and built date .Everything must be checked and re-checked before leaving off the factory
Thanks
      10-24-2017, 02:45 AM   #80
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I thought same thing but the chances for it must be very weak considering mileage and built date .Everything must be checked and re-checked before leaving off the factory
Thanks
I guess so yeah.

At least you have warranty in case it's serious.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 08:29 AM   #81
Gmoney El Nene
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i M

Quote:
Its funny, you can tell a lot about a person from their build - I clearly favour power and entertainment tech over comfort, advanced safety, autonomous features and higher level materials.

But I am extremely happy to have been able to choose exactly what I want and not have to compromise on a pre-made spec which I always have done previously having never bought new. I was originally looking to buy pre-reg but got such a good discount it was actually cheaper than the pre-reg ones, none of which were exactly as I would have ordered them.
This is the first Time I have ordered a car specifically to my taste as well. It is a very nice feeling. I can't wait anymore. Three more weeks...Torture!

2018 540xi MSport, Med Blue/Mocha
Exec Pack, Cove Mat, HK, Carplay, Lux Seats
19"664M, Wifi, Driving Assistant
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 09:08 AM   #82
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmoney El Nene View Post
This is the first Time I have ordered a car specifically to my taste as well. It is a very nice feeling. I can't wait anymore. Three more weeks...Torture!
The waiting is terrible, but it does feel more special when it finally arrives.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 02:43 PM   #83
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
The waiting is terrible, but it does feel more special when it finally arrives.
For those waiting, time soon passes if you are busy.

I've always seen it as a new car it is not new for long. Don't wish the time away too fast... a new car soon becomes a used car!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 05:07 PM   #84
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
For those waiting, time soon passes if you are busy.

I've always seen it as a new car it is not new for long. Don't wish the time away too fast... a new car soon becomes a used car!
Damn it Pete! Where were you with this sage advice when I was agonising over my wait? I could have done with hearing this 6 weeks ago
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 03:30 AM   #85
Chris_G30
Christo
Germany
Rep
Drives: G30 530xi

Quote:
I ordered my 540i Xdrive M Sport on Friday, received the order number today and car is at 1200 already, with week 38 build and week 41 delivery. Before ordering I was told to expect November/December delivery - week 41 is early october!!

Also, when I was told the car was almost at the point of locking down the spec, I changed the interior trim to piano black and was told that as it was an individual trim, it could delay delivery by 4-6 weeks which I said I would accept. However after amending the order, the dealer said the date on the system has not moved but the change has been accepted. Not impossible if they have piano in stock I guess (its not an uncommon selection).

It all sounds a bit too good to be true and I am waiting for a call to tell me there was a mistake - seems incredibly fast if not.
Hi

i wish u the best without a telephone with a mistake

iam waiting for my 530 xi for a while but week 44 is comming

cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 03:31 AM   #86
Chris_G30
Christo
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Damn it Pete! Where were you with this sage advice when I was agonising over my wait? I could have done with hearing this 6 weeks ago
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 04:02 AM   #87
Chris_G30
Christo
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboUK View Post
Congrats mate looks like you got a good slot from your dealer

Wish mine moved that quick when i ordered my 530i

Congratulations and look forward to the pics
same here

iam waiting till 1st sept now, untill mid NOV bah
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 10:19 AM   #88
JD2005
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 530d m sport xdrive saloon

How long did it take in total? I ordered mine Saturday and it's still not here!? 😔 now they wont even give they status code.
Appreciate 0