BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2020-202x Toyota Supra

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-26-2019, 12:09 PM   #1365
gatorfast
Major General
gatorfast's Avatar
United_States
3546
Rep
6,455
Posts

Drives: 718 Cayman
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Literally why I own an m2c. I wanted a new Supra for almost as long as I can remember. Never been much of a bmw guy, but when they announced no manual, the Supra sadly dropped off my list.

But it did one thing for me: made me realize I could happily own a bmw.
lol the new supra is essentially a BMW anyway

Im hoping that as this supra generation progresses they eventually release a 6mt version.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 02:48 PM   #1366
Germanauto
Brigadier General
Germanauto's Avatar
United_States
5213
Rep
3,918
Posts

Drives: BMW, Lexus
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NW, SoCal

iTrader: (0)

My friend's lease on his C63 coupe is up so he went to test drive a Supra. The dealer wouldn't allow it LOL.

What type of car do they think they're selling? At the end of the day it's a $50,000 coupe with a Toyota badge that isn't selling.
__________________
Make BMW Great Again
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 03:01 PM   #1367
gatorfast
Major General
gatorfast's Avatar
United_States
3546
Rep
6,455
Posts

Drives: 718 Cayman
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
My friend's lease on his C63 coupe is up so he went to test drive a Supra. The dealer wouldn't allow it LOL.

What type of car do they think they're selling? At the end of the day it's a $50,000 coupe with a Toyota badge that isn't selling.
Thats crazy. A quick search on cars.com shows 116 Supras for sale within 500mi of my zip code. Maybe if dealers were more liberal with their test drive policies they could actually move some of these.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto5213.00

      12-26-2019, 03:16 PM   #1368
IllSic_Design
Colonel
IllSic_Design's Avatar
United_States
1208
Rep
2,045
Posts

Drives: 09 E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Northern California

iTrader: (1)

I haven't heard of ANY dealers that are allowing test drives. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me, as said it is a 50k Toyota, not a 911 or even a M8.
Appreciate 2
Germanauto5213.00
eluded2437.00

      12-26-2019, 03:37 PM   #1369
Prissy
Brigadier General
Prissy's Avatar
Taiwan
653
Rep
4,694
Posts

Drives: M340i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NY

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [2.75]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [4.50]
2010 BMW E92  [5.00]
So 2020 M340i vs 2020 Supra who will win? Supra is lighter...
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 05:37 PM   #1370
jstein55
Brigadier General
jstein55's Avatar
United_States
6813
Rep
3,909
Posts

Drives: Mercedes-Benz/BMW
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Same here, have not seen one on the road yet.

I do like the pics/vids i have seen of that yellow color. If they offered a manual trans it would be so much more compelling.
I have only seen one at the grocery store, and it was driven by an older lady who let her shopping cart hit the car, and drove it 5 under the limit on the highway
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300 Son's: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Retired:1995 E36 325i 5MT / 2004 E46 330i 6MT / 2011 E90 335xi / 2017 G30 540i / 2017 982 Boxster S 6MT / 2019 F87 M2C 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 05:42 PM   #1371
jstein55
Brigadier General
jstein55's Avatar
United_States
6813
Rep
3,909
Posts

Drives: Mercedes-Benz/BMW
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
I find it funny that the Supra did not even make the cut for R&T's PCOTY (reviewers said it had no feel steering and too much BMW DNA that it's not a Toyota) but yet it made Car & Drivers 10 Best.
C/D's 10 Best hasn't been making sense for years. This year is even worse, especially with putting the SUV's and Trucks with the Cars. Sometimes I think their bias is a little too obvious, especially with the Honda Accord.

The GT350 is an amazing car, and has beat out the M2, Supra and Cayman in a comparison, as well as the Supra in a separate comparison. Yet the 10 Best are revealed and the Cayman and Supra both of which lost, receive a spot, and the GT350, a car that has received universal acclaim - and it deserves it - from C/D and others, is no where to be found on the list.

Same thing happened years ago when the Mazda 6 beat out the Accord and Camry in a comparison, and was claimed as the best driving and overall mid-size sedan, yet the Accord was still featured alongside the Mazda in the 10 Best.

Sometimes I really agree with what they do and write, but other times, I don't understand their choices.
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300 Son's: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Retired:1995 E36 325i 5MT / 2004 E46 330i 6MT / 2011 E90 335xi / 2017 G30 540i / 2017 982 Boxster S 6MT / 2019 F87 M2C 6MT
Appreciate 1
F30ZHP903.00

      12-26-2019, 09:37 PM   #1372
zx10guy
Colonel
2967
Rep
2,699
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboatster View Post
Does it deserve it, though? I have a feeling that for the amount of money it takes to get a new Zupra and get the manual conversion done, you can get something faster which comes with a manual stock...
You can say that about any car that gets modded. It's up to the owner whether they feel if the car is worth purchasing and being modded.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
We might not be in an agreement on Trump, but I'll be the first penis chaser here to say I'll rather take it up in the ass than to argue with you on this.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 09:54 PM   #1373
SenorRoadRage
Private First Class
SenorRoadRage's Avatar
United_States
192
Rep
182
Posts

Drives: '15 BSM F82
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Austin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
STILL yet to see one of these things on the road.

The folks on YT modding them are making them look even worse than they do stock, I thought that would be a difficult task.

The only guy who got it right was that render from pages back that took big time cues from the prototype. That thing is gorgeous and should have been the Supra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Same here, have not seen one on the road yet.

I do like the pics/vids i have seen of that yellow color. If they offered a manual trans it would be so much more compelling.

Lucky enough to see 4x here in Austin. 2x at the F1 race this year, 1x driving and 1x at Cars and Coffee. The choice of colors and rims really makes a difference on how attractive the car is. The silver/black or white/black combos I saw were the best. The dark blue car with black and chrome rims wasn't the best.

Bummed about no manual, but didn't realllllly want a Supra to begin with. Also sad it doesn't compete with the GT-R like it used to.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 11:13 AM   #1374
F30ZHP
Major
F30ZHP's Avatar
United_States
903
Rep
1,408
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 340i ZHP
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Claremont, CA

iTrader: (0)

Why do some people call it a Zupra?
__________________

2018 Melbourne Red 340i ZHP
Previous BMW's:
2012 Le Mans Blue 335i Coupe / 1990 Alpine White M3
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 11:36 AM   #1375
hybris
Lieutenant
hybris's Avatar
Norway
179
Rep
499
Posts

Drives: BMW 330e F30 M-sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Norway

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
Why do some people call it a Zupra?
Because they apparently don't know how to spell it.
__________________
Thorbjorn
16 BMW F30 330e M-sport
Bootmod3 Stage2 / BMS Intake / RM Motors high flow catted downpipe & custom exhaust / BBS CH 19" / H&R Sport springs
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 11:40 AM   #1376
jstein55
Brigadier General
jstein55's Avatar
United_States
6813
Rep
3,909
Posts

Drives: Mercedes-Benz/BMW
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
Why do some people call it a Zupra?
I can't tell if your joking or not
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300 Son's: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Retired:1995 E36 325i 5MT / 2004 E46 330i 6MT / 2011 E90 335xi / 2017 G30 540i / 2017 982 Boxster S 6MT / 2019 F87 M2C 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #1377
SenorRoadRage
Private First Class
SenorRoadRage's Avatar
United_States
192
Rep
182
Posts

Drives: '15 BSM F82
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Austin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
Why do some people call it a Zupra?
Because it's a BMW Z4 with Toyota badging and styling.
Appreciate 1
F30ZHP903.00

      12-28-2019, 01:44 PM   #1378
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
Dog Face Pony Soldier's Avatar
United_States
9288
Rep
6,319
Posts

Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorRoadRage View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
Why do some people call it a Zupra?
Because it's a BMW Z4 with Toyota badging and styling.
Zupra was already taken for vanity plates in NY, but Zupr4 was available last I checked.
__________________
Appreciate 1
jstein556812.50

      12-28-2019, 06:19 PM   #1379
apex_prd8r
New Member
16
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: 2011 128i 6M M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: SE WI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
C/D's 10 Best hasn't been making sense for years. This year is even worse, especially with putting the SUV's and Trucks with the Cars. Sometimes I think their bias is a little too obvious, especially with the Honda Accord.

The GT350 is an amazing car, and has beat out the M2, Supra and Cayman in a comparison, as well as the Supra in a separate comparison. Yet the 10 Best are revealed and the Cayman and Supra both of which lost, receive a spot, and the GT350, a car that has received universal acclaim - and it deserves it - from C/D and others, is no where to be found on the list.

Same thing happened years ago when the Mazda 6 beat out the Accord and Camry in a comparison, and was claimed as the best driving and overall mid-size sedan, yet the Accord was still featured alongside the Mazda in the 10 Best.

Sometimes I really agree with what they do and write, but other times, I don't understand their choices.
C&D 10-Best is about the 10-best "all-arounders" in their respective classes. In the case of the Accord vs. Mazda6 and Camry... If you read those individual comparison tests, they are usually seeking out the best (insert specific task here) in the category. It could be the "sporties mid-sizer for someone who can't afford a seperate sports car in the garage" (i.e. Mazda6 in that case), or the "best easy to live with for someone who just wants comfort and low maintenance" (Camry)... but for 10-best, C&D is looking for the best all, around package.

Same thing for the 350. It is an outstanding track car, but for a liveable, daily driver sports car; the Cayman and Supra are going to eat it alive.

Just my two-cents.
Mike
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1729.00

      01-07-2020, 10:30 AM   #1380
OkieSnuffBox
Lieutenant
346
Rep
461
Posts

Drives: '13 135i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: OKC, OK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
I haven't heard of ANY dealers that are allowing test drives. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me, as said it is a 50k Toyota, not a 911 or even a M8.
This is the same stupid shit that killed of the Focus RS.

A few years ago before I reigned in the budget and just bought a used 135i. I went to test drive a Focus RS, SS 1LE, and an STi. I took my helmet with me to see if I'd fit, as the plan was to occasionally take my DD for HPDE.

No dealer would let me drive the Focus RS. They all basically said, "Let's get the paperwork done and you can drive it around the block, and then if you don't like it, we can tear up the paperwork."

Sorry, not gonna happen.


The Chevy and Subaru dealers had no problem letting me take them out. The Chevy guy didn't like when I walked the SS up the onramp a bit sideways.
Appreciate 4
jstein556812.50
Red Bread3653.00
Moflow1227.00
dtla1633.50

      01-07-2020, 11:32 AM   #1381
gatorfast
Major General
gatorfast's Avatar
United_States
3546
Rep
6,455
Posts

Drives: 718 Cayman
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
This is the same stupid shit that killed of the Focus RS.

A few years ago before I reigned in the budget and just bought a used 135i. I went to test drive a Focus RS, SS 1LE, and an STi. I took my helmet with me to see if I'd fit, as the plan was to occasionally take my DD for HPDE.

No dealer would let me drive the Focus RS. They all basically said, "Let's get the paperwork done and you can drive it around the block, and then if you don't like it, we can tear up the paperwork."

Sorry, not gonna happen.


The Chevy and Subaru dealers had no problem letting me take them out. The Chevy guy didn't like when I walked the SS up the onramp a bit sideways.
Never understood this mentality from a dealership. The single best way to get someone to buy a car like that is to have them drive it and love it.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2020, 11:40 AM   #1382
zx10guy
Colonel
2967
Rep
2,699
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

In the motorcycle world (at least for sport bikes), dealers saying no to test rides are actually normal. The times where you can test ride bikes tend to be when the manufacturer is sponsoring an event.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
We might not be in an agreement on Trump, but I'll be the first penis chaser here to say I'll rather take it up in the ass than to argue with you on this.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 03:34 PM   #1383
Conissah
Captain
Conissah's Avatar
1165
Rep
935
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M2C
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
In the motorcycle world (at least for sport bikes), dealers saying no to test rides are actually normal. The times where you can test ride bikes tend to be when the manufacturer is sponsoring an event.
I test rode my exact bike before I purchased... I've never had any problems test driving anything (used 2015 Jeep GC, new 2019 Ducati, new 2019 Mazda 3, new 2020 M2C). As long as the dealer knows you are a serious buyer, they usually don't have a problem with it.

Hell, when I got my bike, I didn't even have my endorsement, just a permit. He told me they weren't supposed to let me take it out, but they did anyways. And guess what, I bought the damn thing as soon as we got back from the test ride.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 04:07 PM   #1384
Meeni
Gateropode
Meeni's Avatar
307
Rep
2,833
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i 06
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: TN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
This is the same stupid shit that killed of the Focus RS.

No dealer would let me drive the Focus RS. They all basically said, "Let's get the paperwork done and you can drive it around the block, and then if you don't like it, we can tear up the paperwork."
The only reason I could see them doing that is that insuring sport cars for test drives is too expensive? When they have the 'paperwork' you are the insurer of the car and you get the hit on insurance premium if you crash the car? In any case, no test drive = no sale.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 05:29 PM   #1385
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3653
Rep
8,613
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
This is the same stupid shit that killed of the Focus RS.

No dealer would let me drive the Focus RS. They all basically said, "Let's get the paperwork done and you can drive it around the block, and then if you don't like it, we can tear up the paperwork."
The only reason I could see them doing that is that insuring sport cars for test drives is too expensive? When they have the 'paperwork' you are the insurer of the car and you get the hit on insurance premium if you crash the car? In any case, no test drive = no sale.
If only they didn't sell a curb hopping, rwd Cars & Coffee vessel of mass destruction at the same dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 08:51 PM   #1386
fastboatster
Lieutenant
151
Rep
538
Posts

Drives: 2009 bmw 328i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
I test rode my exact bike before I purchased... I've never had any problems test driving anything (used 2015 Jeep GC, new 2019 Ducati, new 2019 Mazda 3, new 2020 M2C). As long as the dealer knows you are a serious buyer, they usually don't have a problem with it.

Hell, when I got my bike, I didn't even have my endorsement, just a permit. He told me they weren't supposed to let me take it out, but they did anyways. And guess what, I bought the damn thing as soon as we got back from the test ride.
I guess itís a Japanese sportbike dealer thing, they donít allow test rides too often. I used to come for parts to some dealer which had BMW and Japanese bikes, and every time I would stop by near any BMW bike they would ask me if Iíd like to test ride it. If I stopped by a Honda - it was like I didnít exist)
Yeah, no test drive or test ride- no sale
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST