BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board What's For Dinner Tonight?

07-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #441
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
@ the Great Value of education. I do not work for Wal-Mart. I work for a 200 year old Japanese food manufacturing company. Not to drop names but 2 of the companies that we own rhyme with Bagu and Rertolli. We make the white distilled vinegar and bottle it for Wal-Mart; we also make variations of mustard, cooking sherry, red wine vinegar and apple-cider vinegar. Yes, it is true that many of the products stocked on grocery store shelves are the same product with different containers and labels on them. If you buy mustard that isn't French's or Heinz there is a great likelihood that it came from the facility that I work in. Side note: we do have a Wal-Mart auditor on-site today. They are a very quirky company to have as a customer. The standards they hold us to make up for a great number of our company policies.

Tons of R&D went into the skinnier bottles. First, test bottle molds are created from our bottle supplier. Once the design is approved by Wal-Mart, it is then ran through rigorous production testing for mil thickness, leakage, capping, heat tests and structural integrity. Each of these are incredibly important. At the same time this is going on, the company that we purchase our filler valves from are in the process of designing valves that are able to fill each bottle at an optimum speed to ensure production efficiency. Once the bottles and valves meet this criteria, we then do ship tests. This is to ensure that the bottles can structurally support the weight of the stack patterns required to fill truck loads of our product. If the weight of the bottles stacked on top of the bottles of the base layer crush the base layer bottles, the process starts all over again. The boxes that the cases of product are shipped in are key here also. The corrugate is not solely responsible for the weight management/distribution, the bottles themselves play a big part in this. The amount of test loads that make it to the distribution centers, where the bottles or boxes have collapsed and resulted in unusable product is very costly; considering the cost of manufacturing the product/employee labor, price of containers, corrugate pricing, freight costs and ultimately loss of product. Eventually through trial and error, we are successful in finding the all the right tolerances of each individual variable in the equation from filling of the bottles until the bottle makes it to the shelf. Once we are good to go in all these areas, then stores in selected test markets are used to track sales of these bottles compared to the regular sized gallons. At the end of the day, the more bottles we can fit on a shelf, the more vinegar we can sell, the less work it is to keep shelves stocked, the less money we spend on freight etc. All from making a bottle just a little taller and more narrow.

Too bad you guys don't own Huy Fong Sriracha Sauce! I would be having to hit you up for some favors. I eat much hotter peppers, but I love that stuff on anything. My SIL typically buys me a case each Christmas, but I go through it in about 2 months.

Right now I have some Bhut jolokia (Ghost Chili) and Carolina Reaper Salsa I'm working my way through!
      07-10-2019, 02:17 PM   #442
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Too bad you guys don't own Huy Fong Sriracha Sauce! I would be having to hit you up for some favors. I eat much hotter peppers, but I love that stuff on anything. My SIL typically buys me a case each Christmas, but I go through it in about 2 months.

Right now I have some Bhut jolokia (Ghost Chili) and Carolina Reaper Salsa I'm working my way through!
If we still made the South West Style Mustard (I won't say who the customer is/was) I'd send you some of that stuff. I hate mustard and I put that stuff on everything for the first 2 years I worked here. If we had a label issue or misprint on our coders, it was nothing short of a feeding frenzy between the employees as to who got to take how many bottles. I used to have to keep a secret stash for particular vendors.

Very familiar with the Bhut Jolokia. A friend of mine used to grow them and bring me a bag every so often. Love making omelettes with them. My only issue with them is accidentally getting the juice on your fingers and then rubbing your eyes or nose inadvertently.....this and passing them once the body has decided it's time for them to exit......YOWZA!

Interesting fact: The Bhut Jolokia is native to India, where workers will snack on them throughout the hot days to cool themselves off.

I've only had a Carolina Reaper once. It was at that time that I realized although I like spicy things, I no longer need the sensation that my face is burning from the inside out.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      07-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #443
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If we still made the South West Style Mustard (I won't say who the customer is/was) I'd send you some of that stuff. I hate mustard and I put that stuff on everything for the first 2 years I worked here. If we had a label issue or misprint on our coders, it was nothing short of a feeding frenzy between the employees as to who got to take how many bottles. I used to have to keep a secret stash for particular vendors.

Very familiar with the Bhut Jolokia. A friend of mine used to grow them and bring me a bag every so often. Love making omelettes with them. My only issue with them is accidentally getting the juice on your fingers and then rubbing your eyes or nose inadvertently.....this and passing them once the body has decided it's time for them to exit......YOWZA!

Interesting fact: The Bhut Jolokia is native to India, where workers will snack on them throughout the hot days to cool themselves off.

I've only had a Carolina Reaper once. It was at that time that I realized although I like spicy things, I no longer need the sensation that my face is burning from the inside out.
I've also read that they use it as a deterrent to keep elephants out of their food plots!!
      07-10-2019, 02:45 PM   #444
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I've also read that they use it as a deterrent to keep elephants out of their food plots!!
I can definitely see that! I learned after the first time cooking with them: 1.) Always wear rubber gloves when cutting them, 2.) Make DAMN sure that if you are handling them, and you haven't worn gloves, to wash your hands TWICE before going to the bathroom and 3.) Do not attempt to remove an eyelash from your significant others eye without washing your hands first. (I felt so bad for her! She instantly started screaming and stomping around like someone lit her on fire)

I also recommend to ensure that your hands are extremely clean before getting frisky with the wife or girlfriend after. This was the second time she screamed and threw a fit that day......and not in a good way.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      07-10-2019, 05:26 PM   #445
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

^Don't you people have servants to do all this cooking and cutting???

First World problems
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #446
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
^Don't you people have servants to do all this cooking and cutting???

First World problems
I did have. She latched on to another gent to take care of her when I decided to stop financially supporting her for sleeping with other people. I don't mind to cook my own food these days.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      07-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #447
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did have. She latched on to another gent to take care of her when I decided to stop financially supporting her for sleeping with other people. I don't mind to cook my own food these days.
Nice......I actually prefer cooking my food anyway. But I eat so weird and different from most so it's good.

My wife and I cook together now....just different stuff!
      07-13-2019, 02:47 PM   #448
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Little hot dog challenge for lunch...
At the top: Hebrew National Jumbo
Below: Oscar Mayer Angus Uncured

We will see. 🌭
Attached Images

07-14-2019, 10:29 PM   #449
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 10:30 PM   #450
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post

We will see. 🌭
I had hot dogs for lunch!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 10:47 PM   #451
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Where's the Nathan's??????
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 10:48 PM   #452
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
One of my 17 year olds made:

Tres Leches. From scratch. With a dulce de leche sauce to pour on top.

And it was fantastic!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
roastbeef11580.00
      07-14-2019, 11:18 PM   #453
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:

We will see. 🌭
Forgot to post my thoughts...

Oscar Meyer Angus was definitely smoky flavored compared to the Hebrew National, but I'm not sure it was a benefit. The results were so close I started to consider the jumbo size being a value add.
      07-14-2019, 11:19 PM   #454
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzschild Radius View Post
Where's the Nathan's??????
I'm spoiled by REAL Nathan's. The grocery store dogs aren't the same as Coney Island's best.
      07-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #455
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
I'm spoiled by REAL Nathan's. The grocery store dogs aren't the same as Coney Island's best.
I would love to find out. But "store" Nathans are better than Oscars, or Hebrew Nationals, IMO.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #456
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:
I would love to find out. But "store" Nathans are better than Oscars, or Hebrew Nationals, IMO.
Challenge accepted. Picking up some the next trip to the grocery store for another head-to-head hotdog shootout.
      07-15-2019, 11:12 AM   #457
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

If they are available in your area (usually near deli area), Boar's Head > Nathan's > other brands in the supermarket.
      07-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #458
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Miller Dogs!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 11:58 AM   #459
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
If they are available in your area (usually near deli area), Boar's Head > Nathan's > other brands in the supermarket.
Actually my family calls me a deli meat snob because I only want Boar's Head.

Boar's Head and Nathan's are the next two in the hotdog shootout.
      07-15-2019, 12:19 PM   #460
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Actually my family calls me a deli meat snob because I only want Boar's Head.

Boar's Head and Nathan's are the next two in the hotdog shootout.
I'm the same way and to take it a step further, I rarely will eat at a sandwich shop unless they have that little Boar's Head sign and I can see the deli meat. Nothing worse than seeing deli meat on display that looks like it's sweating.
      07-15-2019, 09:16 PM   #461
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
One of my 17 year olds made:

Tres Leches. From scratch. With a dulce de leche sauce to pour on top.

And it was fantastic!
can't stand that but I still go thru gallons of milk per week
      07-15-2019, 10:27 PM   #462
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
can't stand that but I still go thru gallons of milk per week
Blasphemy you old fucker