BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Full Adaptive ICON LED lights decoded for the US?

01-17-2020, 09:52 PM   #67
roxxor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post
Can you share what you coded to get the rear fogs working (exactly)? I have the front/rear fogs-capable switch arriving next week.

If Almaretto already knows, then don't worry. When he gets back online, I'll be asking him to code my car. (no - I don't expect you to be able to read his mind, but I'm not sure if he has shared what he knows/doesn't know).
So unlike the F-Series where you could enable the rear fogs with a few codes, the only way I found to enable them on the G-Series is to modify your FA so that E-Sys will code the BDC_Body module as a ECE version. This will not have any negative effect on the other functions, but will change the light pattern on the taillights, thereby enabling the rear fog lights. You would most likely need to change a few FDL codes back to US settings, but it wasnít too challenging.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 04:04 AM   #68
Frozen Fractals
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540iX M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
No, I didn't actually copy the changes, I just changed my VO to the ECE version of the car and coded the FLM, BDC, and Kafas to the ECE version (which is also how I got the rear fog lights working). Thus, why I think it might be hardware-related, but without actually seeing the coding or talking with someone who had it done the almaretto way, I can't say for sure.
Hmm...that settles the curiosity I had w.r.t coding ECE KAFAS4 and BDC_BODY2 to ECE. If you coded KAFAS4, BDC_BODY2 and both FLMs to ECE spec, then I cannot see why the proper shadow boxing for NGHB wouldn't work. Doing the above basically mimics an ECE car. Either, 1.) physical HW is missing b/t ECE and US headlights to create the proper shadow boxing or 2.) there may be other modules that need to be coded?

I did find this YouTube video where someone coded HU_NBT2 along with KAFAS4 and BDC_BODY2. Wonder if HU_NBT2 requires coding to ECE too?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #69
roxxor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Fractals View Post
Hmm...that settles the curiosity I had w.r.t coding ECE KAFAS4 and BDC_BODY2 to ECE. If you coded KAFAS4, BDC_BODY2 and both FLMs to ECE spec, then I cannot see why the proper shadow boxing for NGHB wouldn't work. Doing the above basically mimics an ECE car. Either, 1.) physical HW is missing b/t ECE and US headlights to create the proper shadow boxing or 2.) there may be other modules that need to be coded?

I did find this YouTube video where someone coded HU_NBT2 along with KAFAS4 and BDC_BODY2. Wonder if HU_NBT2 requires coding to ECE too?
I definitely recommend not doing that!!! When I did it with my X3, I ended up having to pay to get navigation and such working again because changing the headunit to ECE messed up my FSC files and caused several other issues. That and the ACSM are the two I did not code to ECE, but the rest of the car didnít have any issues.

In that video, they are doing the removal of 5AP, but arenít changing the country code. The change that makes in the headunit is that the owners manual and animated video will show the NGHB video/info, instead of the basic on/off functionality. Although, I notice they didnít code the FLM modules...

I believe like you said that there is very likely a hardware difference. Almarettos coding with the changes he makes might overcome some of those differences that simple VO coding doesnít correct, but without an actual comparison, thereís no way to know for sure. Thereís always the option of getting a pair of used euro lights, which can be had for around $1800, but if I was going to spend that much, Iíd wait for a pair of the euro M550i laserlights that we donít get in the US
Appreciate 0