BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Alpina Mode

02-02-2019, 10:26 PM   #1
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
So I finally pulled the trigger on Alpina mode on the instrument cluster of my '19 M550i. Despite 1/3 of the speedometer being wasted real estate on the high-end, I really love the look and feel. Awesome!

Just FYI, I did notice that it reset all of my statistics after the ECU restarted.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Aud Dr243.00
Wills28618.00
      02-02-2019, 11:24 PM   #2
Andrew.
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mediterranean Blue 540i

Is the speedometer still reading correctly? I read somewhere that they might be calibrated differently and could show the wrong speed. Any truth to that?
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2019, 11:31 PM   #3
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew. View Post
Is the speedometer still reading correctly? I read somewhere that they might be calibrated differently and could show the wrong speed. Any truth to that?
I don't think the speedometer has to be calibrated. The speed dials just go further out. I will do a road test tomorrow and compare it with the GPS speed on my radar detector. It's worth noting that the default gauges were consistently about 2 mph slower than the actual speed. This is certainly not unique to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 12:20 AM   #4
Andrew.
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mediterranean Blue 540i

Yep, mine are off by about 5% now (at 80 mph), but they're good enough. I want to do this change myself. Maybe I'll do it Monday since my car is spending the weekend at the service dept anyway.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2019, 12:22 AM   #5
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yep, mine are off by about 5% now, but they're good enough. I want to do this change myself. Maybe I'll do it Monday since my car is spending the weekend at the service dept anyway.
In theory it will be off exponentially as you go faster. In other words, when it might be 2 mph off for me under a certain speed, it may be off even more at a higher speed. I guess we'll find out tomorrow!
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2019, 02:13 PM   #6
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Confirmed. No calibration is required. It's still about 2 mph off for me just like it was before no matter what speed I'm driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 04:14 PM   #7
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Question for anyone else that uses Alpina mode. I noticed that my M550i logo is no longer there. When I checked in BimmerCode it says that it's still active. Is it safe to assume that it's just not present with Alpina mode? Or is it because I have the digital speed indicators active? Maybe I should change it to "no logo" and then back to the M550i logo. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 07:50 AM   #8
majoa
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 640iX GT BMW M3 Cab

It is only the Alpina logo that works with Alpina style.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2019, 07:51 AM   #9
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoa View Post
It is only the Alpina logo that works with Alpina style.
Thank you for confirming that! That makes perfect sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 02:38 PM   #10
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
So I finally pulled the trigger on Alpina mode on the instrument cluster of my '19 M550i. Despite 1/3 of the speedometer being wasted real estate on the high-end, I really love the look and feel. Awesome!

Just FYI, I did notice that it reset all of my statistics after the ECU restarted.
I have a 540 does this work on that model? I tried and didn't see anything update? Does it have to be switched to sport or something?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 02:40 PM   #11
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslenutz View Post
Quote:

I have a 540 does this work on that model? I tried and didn't see anything update? Does it have to be switched to sport or something?
You have to have the 6WB full digital cluster. I believe it comes with the executive package on the G30s. What you saw in my photo is sport mode (bottom). It looks completely different in normal mode (top). What I do is code my vehicle to always start in sport individual mode and I disable some of the performance features when I'm driving around in the city, so essentially it's in comfort mode with the sports mode look.

Note: When you code the display from the normal G30 display mode to the Alpina display mode, some of your settings will get reset (tripmeter, fuel economy, etc). Obviously your odometer stays the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 02:45 PM   #12
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540 2018

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You have to have the 6WB full digital cluster. I believe it comes with the executive package on the G30s. What you saw in my photo is sport mode (bottom). It looks completely different in normal mode (top).
I don't think I have that. Do they ever do updates on bimmer code. I feel like we could use one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 02:46 PM   #13
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You have to have the 6WB full digital cluster. I believe it comes with the executive package on the G30s. What you saw in my photo is sport mode (bottom). It looks completely different in normal mode (top).
I don't think I have that. Do they ever do updates on bimmer code. I feel like we could use one.
You can use BimmerCode to do this like I did, but you have to have the correct display for the option to show up. Yours looks like the analog gauges. Check to see if your vehicle has executive package which will include the full digital display.

Here is the option package do you have to have:

EXECUTIVE PACKAGE
Dynamic Digital Cluster
Rear sunshades
Soft-close automatic doors
Appreciate 0