BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications 2020 M550 Performance Numbers anywhere?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-16-2019, 02:02 PM   #1
Yjad27
New Member
2
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: '09 BMW E90 6MT Jerez BLK
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Miami, Fl

iTrader: (0)

2020 M550 Performance Numbers anywhere?

Has anyone seen reviews or independent performance testing of the 2020 M550i? Can't seem to find anything anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 11:28 AM   #2
BoredBMWBanker
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M550i
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yjad27 View Post
Has anyone seen reviews or independent performance testing of the 2020 M550i? Can't seem to find anything anywhere.
Looking for the same.
__________________
2020 BMW M550i

34 Years old and living the life of a 60 year old.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 02:22 PM   #3
AddyDaddy
Captain
AddyDaddy's Avatar
United_States
276
Rep
923
Posts

Drives: M5's, 535.335, M550i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Info is short on the 2020! I'd use performance number from the M850 as a close reference since it's new/same upped power and there are some write ups
__________________
2012 335 Retired ,
2013 535i M, Carbon black 20' 6 M wheels, totaled.
2018 750M ,
2013 M5 , Individual Silver, Bolt ons-Straight piped
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 12:31 PM   #4
Boostin335
Major
United_States
74
Rep
1,360
Posts

Drives: Jag SVR, X4M, Supra
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North/Central NJ

iTrader: (2)

119-123mph for the 1/4... that is 11.5-11.7 1/4 mile time (this is what mags got for the M850i).

0-60 is 3.2 - 3.3

I would love to see what a Dinan tune would be like on the 2020 M550i xdrive.

I emailed Dinan and they said they do not have one to release yet as they need cars to test.

I would anticipate about 50whp and numbers to drop to 3.0 flat for 0-60 or perhaps 2.9. 1/4 mile in the 11.2 range at 125ish or so.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 03:16 PM   #5
SteveinArizona
Colonel
United_States
1294
Rep
2,126
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greater Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin335 View Post
119-123mph for the 1/4... that is 11.5-11.7 1/4 mile time (this is what mags got for the M850i).

0-60 is 3.2 - 3.3

I would love to see what a Dinan tune would be like on the 2020 M550i xdrive.

I emailed Dinan and they said they do not have one to release yet as they need cars to test.

I would anticipate about 50whp and numbers to drop to 3.0 flat for 0-60 or perhaps 2.9. 1/4 mile in the 11.2 range at 125ish or so.
Do you track your car? If yes, I understand what you are thinking of doing. But if you don't track your car, what difference does it make on real roads?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 06:09 PM   #6
AddyDaddy
Captain
AddyDaddy's Avatar
United_States
276
Rep
923
Posts

Drives: M5's, 535.335, M550i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Dinan would be solid 45hp and more torque than that added. Tune would be 70-90 more depending who you go with. I did Dinan just after break in and went evolve just couple months ago. More power is more fun no matter what your car comes with stock for some reason we always want just a little more
__________________
2012 335 Retired ,
2013 535i M, Carbon black 20' 6 M wheels, totaled.
2018 750M ,
2013 M5 , Individual Silver, Bolt ons-Straight piped
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 01:30 PM   #7
modthispny
First Lieutenant
113
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M550i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Studio City, CA

iTrader: (0)

million dollar question! the issue with the M850i is that there is a huge variance in how fast it really is - i've seen trap speeds range between 116 and 123 mph, 7 mph is a huge diff! I think 118/119 trap with around an 11.6/11.7 e.t. is what the car will hit.

with that said, please see C/D comparison between the N63TU2 and N63TU3 750i xDrive.

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 10.1 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 25.3 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.2 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 2.7 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 3.4 sec
Standing -mile: 12.8 sec @ 112 mph

2020 Model

C/D TEST RESULTS
Zero to 60 mph: 4.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.6 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 14.0 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 5.2 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 2.7 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 3.2 sec
Standing -mile: 12.5 sec @ 113 mph

So while a different car, the difference in speed the engine makes should be taken into consideration. I believe the 0-60 is significantly quicker because of the shorter 1-3 gears similar to the M850i.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #8
AddyDaddy
Captain
AddyDaddy's Avatar
United_States
276
Rep
923
Posts

Drives: M5's, 535.335, M550i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post
million dollar question! the issue with the M850i is that there is a huge variance in how fast it really is - i've seen trap speeds range between 116 and 123 mph, 7 mph is a huge diff! I think 118/119 trap with around an 11.6/11.7 e.t. is what the car will hit.

with that said, please see C/D comparison between the N63TU2 and N63TU3 750i xDrive.

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 10.1 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 25.3 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.2 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 2.7 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 3.4 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.8 sec @ 112 mph

2020 Model

C/D TEST RESULTS
Zero to 60 mph: 4.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.6 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 14.0 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 5.2 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 2.7 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 3.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.5 sec @ 113 mph

So while a different car, the difference in speed the engine makes should be taken into consideration. I believe the 0-60 is significantly quicker because of the shorter 1-3 gears similar to the M850i.
So in reading that, they did our cars at 4flat 0-60 with 2018/19 models right? So I'd figure people stock would shave3- 4tenths off that right? 3.6 0-60 Im betting
The numbers just vary from so much from different right ups depending on how hot or cold and where they do tests and our engines are influenced by air temp big time.
My official bet is
2020 M550
0-60 is 3.7
11.7 in the 1/4 @ 120ish give or take a mph

I'm gonna start a thread for us all to bet (no money) fun bet the first stats to come out
__________________
2012 335 Retired ,
2013 535i M, Carbon black 20' 6 M wheels, totaled.
2018 750M ,
2013 M5 , Individual Silver, Bolt ons-Straight piped
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 05:31 PM   #9
modthispny
First Lieutenant
113
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M550i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Studio City, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyDaddy View Post
So in reading that, they did our cars at 4flat 0-60 with 2018/19 models right? So I'd figure people stock would shave3- 4tenths off that right? 3.6 0-60 Im betting
The numbers just vary from so much from different right ups depending on how hot or cold and where they do tests and our engines are influenced by air temp big time.
My official bet is
2020 M550
0-60 is 3.7
11.7 in the 1/4 @ 120ish give or take a mph

I'm gonna start a thread for us all to bet (no money) fun bet the first stats to come out
3.8 actually!

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...e-test-review/

I can see the N63TU3 M550i to still be a nudge faster than a Dinan N63TU2 based off what I am seeing.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 06:16 PM   #10
AddyDaddy
Captain
AddyDaddy's Avatar
United_States
276
Rep
923
Posts

Drives: M5's, 535.335, M550i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Lol bmw NA says the new 2020 one does 3.6 to 60 on their build sheet. But I bet yeah a independent will do a touch better than that even!

Yeah your right, betting it stock is a touch faster than 18/19's are with Dinan. I remember I got mine in May and then did reading and was like SHIT I should have waited couple months for 2020's to come out! I'm such a bitch when it comes to things like that.
__________________
2012 335 Retired ,
2013 535i M, Carbon black 20' 6 M wheels, totaled.
2018 750M ,
2013 M5 , Individual Silver, Bolt ons-Straight piped
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:16 AM   #11
modthispny
First Lieutenant
113
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M550i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Studio City, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyDaddy View Post
Lol bmw NA says the new 2020 one does 3.6 to 60 on their build sheet. But I bet yeah a independent will do a touch better than that even!

Yeah your right, betting it stock is a touch faster than 18/19's are with Dinan. I remember I got mine in May and then did reading and was like SHIT I should have waited couple months for 2020's to come out! I'm such a bitch when it comes to things like that.
Yea 100%. The Dinan helps that feeling a bit though. When I got my 2019 they just hit dealer lots so I don't feel too bad knowing that if I got a 2020 now I would miss out on the LCI by a year, and essentially drive an outdated looking car for 2 years, in addition to the updated driving assistance with traffic jam the 2021 will get as I use that pretty much everyday for my commute to work. Despite what people think, I love the large grill and new headlights and tails on the newer gen BMWs so I'm definitely excited about the LCI and will probably swap to a 2022 M550i when my lease is over.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 04:43 PM   #12
modthispny
First Lieutenant
113
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M550i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Studio City, CA

iTrader: (0)

FYI here is a video of an M850i racing a Camaro SS 1LE



50-150, pretty much even.

Car and Driver times for the Camaro SS

Zero to 60 mph: 3.9 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 8.8 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 15.4 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 4.2 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 2.3 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 2.6 sec
Standing -mile: 12.2 sec @ 118 mph

Making the "speed" of the M850i/M550i even more confusing now.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 04:51 PM   #13
DirtyVegasMB
Private
24
Rep
87
Posts

Drives: '17 CTS-V
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vegas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post
FYI here is a video of an M850i racing a Camaro SS 1LE



50-150, pretty much even.

Car and Driver times for the Camaro SS

Zero to 60 mph: 3.9 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 8.8 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 15.4 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 4.2 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 2.3 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 2.6 sec
Standing -mile: 12.2 sec @ 118 mph

Making the "speed" of the M850i/M550i even more confusing now.
Something is off there... is that SS stock? I drove the SS 1LE and it is not fast by any means. I actually thought it was a dog in 3rd. Handles great, but not a quick/fast car.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 05:44 PM   #14
modthispny
First Lieutenant
113
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M550i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Studio City, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyVegasMB View Post
Something is off there... is that SS stock? I drove the SS 1LE and it is not fast by any means. I actually thought it was a dog in 3rd. Handles great, but not a quick/fast car.
not sure, i think so though otherwise would be listed and I remember seeing that same video from inside the camaro and claimed to be stock. i think the gearing makes it seem slow since they are so long. But i mean end of day 118 trap isn't slow by any means..

did some digging, the camaro SS is manual, and has the different intake that comes with the 2SS.

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/gen6camaro/intake


Last edited by modthispny; 01-14-2020 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 09:11 PM   #15
DirtyVegasMB
Private
24
Rep
87
Posts

Drives: '17 CTS-V
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vegas

iTrader: (0)

Either way, I wouldn't be trying to judge the 2020 M550i performance by a random video of M850i vs. SS 1LE.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 01:16 PM   #16
RadekV8
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: M550i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: CZ

iTrader: (0)

Servise manual - engine

Are there available documents for engine service? I am looking for N63B44D engine (2020 550i) Not user if it N63B44D == N63B44T3? How much is this engine different for M5? Visually their very similar, much more than before engine update...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 02:55 PM   #17
modthispny
First Lieutenant
113
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M550i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Studio City, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadekV8 View Post
Are there available documents for engine service? I am looking for N63B44D engine (2020 550i) Not user if it N63B44D == N63B44T3? How much is this engine different for M5? Visually their very similar, much more than before engine update...
yes,

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...s902t0S7tBZK3N
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 03:26 PM   #18
RadekV8
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: M550i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: CZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post
Not sure if this this is the right one (engine version) because in M550i xDrive it has different cover eg. it means different engine? See photo below....
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 05:17 PM   #19
modthispny
First Lieutenant
113
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M550i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Studio City, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadekV8 View Post
Not sure if this this is the right one (engine version) because in M550i xDrive it has different cover eg. it means different engine? See photo below....
yea i see what you mean, could just be the picture because if you read the documentation it's definitely referencing the new tu3 motor.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:18 AM   #20
FastCarFanatic
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M550I XDRIVE
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Hey guys just picked a 20 m550i g30.

will be doing a custom mid pipe including res delete next week. car will be ran on a mustang dyno bone stock to see what it makes. still haven't found a tune tho

also debating on the ARM downpipes. if anyone has used them please advise!
Attached Images
  
__________________
instagram: ssmopar_15
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:49 PM   #21
SXY550
New Member
Canada
5
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: M550i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCarFanatic View Post
Hey guys just picked a 20 m550i g30.

will be doing a custom mid pipe including res delete next week. car will be ran on a mustang dyno bone stock to see what it makes. still haven't found a tune tho

also debating on the ARM downpipes. if anyone has used them please advise!
Hey I'm running on resonator delete, ARM downpipe and a Dinan stage 1 on my 19' m550. I have had the downpipe for about 2 weeks and it seems to be holding on well and have a drastic sound improvement on my car. The pops are louder and the exhaust sounds amazing. You will get the smell for the first 4 days but it gets better after that. You can see more on my Instagram @sxy_5_ !! Delete if I'm not allowed to post my Instagram handle but you can see the differences it makes when the car is just running on res-delete and catless dp(ARM)+res delete!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST