BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Got a Palisade

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-15-2020, 11:38 AM   #45
GenXer
Captain
United_States
386
Rep
622
Posts

Drives: BMW, Chevy
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: here and there

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Congrats. Hyundai has come a long way. They're good value for the money. I was surprised with how well my Hyundai Ioniq was built. It's solid but a bit underpower. The dealership experience is nice but underwhelming. They don't make you feel as special as a owning a Mercedes or BMW or Lexus. I'm sure they will have to improve once their price creeps up.

It was the same way a Chevy dealership treat their $70K Corvette owners.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #46
El Conquistador
Lieutenant
313
Rep
586
Posts

Drives: M240 Vert - 6M as god intended
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
A lot of people thought the polarized styling of the current RX was going to be huge flop. Obviously this wasn't even remotely the case.
Lots of people don't care how ugly their cars are.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto3977.00

      02-15-2020, 11:52 AM   #47
avocet
Major
195
Rep
1,087
Posts

Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver bc

iTrader: (0)

lol at this.

Lexus went head to head with the infallible Germans. Acura(Honda) schooled Ferrari. Tesla is redefining what an automaker is.
Hyundai is serving a can of whoop ass, and the rest of the automaker world is taking notice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Lexus has nothing to be worried about. The RX is the best selling luxury SUV in North America by a wide margin. They have a full redesign coming in 24 months or so as well. This is like saying the G70 should have had Mercedes or BMW worried it would knock the C and 3 off their perch. Hyundai/Genesis are creating awesome vehicles no doubt, but especially for Genesis it takes more than a great vehicle to lure away buyers from established and iconic nameplates.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 12:13 PM   #48
Burrcold
Captain
Canada
733
Rep
812
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
lol at this.

Lexus went head to head with the infallible Germans. Acura(Honda) schooled Ferrari. Tesla is redefining what an automaker is.
Hyundai is serving a can of whoop ass, and the rest of the automaker world is taking notice.
?? I never said the automotive world isn't taking notice, but to think Lexus is somehow scared that the RX is going to be knocked off its perch is laughable.

Just like everyone thought the G70 was going to take out the 3 Series...take a look at the sales numbers and tell me how they're doing.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 12:14 PM   #49
Burrcold
Captain
Canada
733
Rep
812
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
Lots of people don't care how ugly their cars are.
Looks are subjective, as are opinions...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 12:09 AM   #50
Germanauto
Brigadier General
Germanauto's Avatar
United_States
3977
Rep
3,320
Posts

Drives: BMW, Lexus
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NW, SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Yea there is something to be said for that. While agree that overall very little time is spent at the dealership it can still leave a lasting impression. I have been driving bmws for years and all of the bmw dealerships around here are new and beautifully manicured with a very upscale service area. Also, the other patrons tend to look more upperclass. A much higher end experience compared to the gmc dealer I take my wife's car to which is somewhat run down and generally filled with people of a lower socioeconomic status.

So while not super important I can see how the overall dealership experience plays into it. It reaffirms the notion of buying a premium vehicle by providing a premium environment.
Part of what turned me off from the Alfa Romeo Giulia was its dealership experience. They sell cars out of ugly old showrooms which feel like renovated Dodge dealers. There's nothing premium or special feeling about it. Then you head over to the showroom of a real luxury brand and it's an entirely different experience.

I'd still put up with it if the car were any good, but aside from driving dynamics it has zero redeeming qualities.
__________________
Make BMW Great Again
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2020, 04:21 AM   #51
5.M0NSTER
Captain
5.M0NSTER's Avatar
United_States
793
Rep
791
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT Drivers Pack
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Little north of Stuttgart, Germany

iTrader: (0)

Respect to Hyundai and Kia. They make a appealing, quality product at a lower price than the rest of the industry.

I decided to give Kia a try in 2005 with the Sorento. I've owned it till 2018 and sold it with over 150k on the clock. Car never let me down and I've driven it from South Carolina to Montana. From Main to Colorado and on many Offroad Recreational Vehicle trails. Had the fuel pressure sensor replaces under warranty at 55k on the ODO, and that was it. Great ownership experience.

Since then my wife has had a 2016 Sportage, and I replaced the Sorento with a used SantaFe Sport in 2018. Both vehicle have been flawless. We got rear ended by a Escape while in the SantFe. 35-40mph impact. The Escape was totaled and had to be towed. We pulled over for the police report, and then drove on with the SantaFe for the rest of date night.

I'm not a brand loyalist by any means. I go for whatever brand makes what I need at the price point I'm looking at. But when I'm looking for basic, reliable commuter which comes with good features for not a lot of money, Hyundai/Kia is hard to beat.
__________________
2017 BMW M2 German Spec
6MT, Driver's Package

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 11:15 AM   #52
avocet
Major
195
Rep
1,087
Posts

Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver bc

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
?? I never said the automotive world isn't taking notice, but to think Lexus is somehow scared that the RX is going to be knocked off its perch is laughable.

Just like everyone thought the G70 was going to take out the 3 Series...take a look at the sales numbers and tell me how they're doing.
3/4 series sales have been cut in half over the last 5 years. G70 sales doubled over the last year. Sure, G70 sales are a percentage of the 3/4 series, but the trend is obvious.

Wait until they get an SUV...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 11:20 AM   #53
SteveinArizona
Colonel
United_States
1286
Rep
2,111
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greater Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
3/4 series sales have been cut in half over the last 5 years. G70 sales doubled over the last year. Sure, G70 sales are a percentage of the 3/4 series, but the trend is obvious.

Wait until they get an SUV...
Yes. I appreciate the competitions. Maybe BMW, Mercedes, Audi and other luxury marks will see the competition and up their game. Maybe BMW will even fire its design director and end its ugly grills (yeah...sure!).
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 11:23 AM   #54
Burrcold
Captain
Canada
733
Rep
812
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
3/4 series sales have been cut in half over the last 5 years. G70 sales doubled over the last year. Sure, G70 sales are a percentage of the 3/4 series, but the trend is obvious.

Wait until they get an SUV...
3 series sales haven't gone down because of the G70, they've gone down because of SUV sales and lost sales to the Tesla model 3. G70 sales have obviously gone up...they were so low before being a relatively new model.

If anything G70 took sales away from some of the aging Japanese vehicles in this segment (Lexus IS, Acura TLX, Infiniti Q50).
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 11:45 AM   #55
avocet
Major
195
Rep
1,087
Posts

Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver bc

iTrader: (0)

Gaining significantly in a shrinking market is notable.

All I am trying to say is Hyundai/Kia/Genesis is here to stay and have/will become part of the upper landscape.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 12:05 PM   #56
Burrcold
Captain
Canada
733
Rep
812
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
Gaining significantly in a shrinking market is notable.

All I am trying to say is Hyundai/Kia/Genesis is here to stay and have/will become part of the upper landscape.
I agree they are here to stay and their sales figures for almost all models is impressive. What I don't agree with is that the perennial leaders of these segments have much to worry about. There's a LONG way before the G70 could ever come close to the global volume of the 3 Series. Same thing for the new GV80. It may be really nice and priced great, but to oust the Lexus RX would take more than just a nicely equipped and priced new entry from a relatively new brand name in Genesis.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 02:03 PM   #57
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3491
Rep
8,446
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
No manual 3er means that the G70 just by existing is stealing 3er sales. There's literally no other choice for a premium, manual , rwd sedan.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 03:11 PM   #58
Burrcold
Captain
Canada
733
Rep
812
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
No manual 3er means that the G70 just by existing is stealing 3er sales. There's literally no other choice for a premium, manual , rwd sedan.
They only sold something like 500 manual G70s in 2019...but I do agree with you. Every manufacturer is losing out on those sales. It's too bad they never made the 3.3T with the manual.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #59
joshuastein55
Lieutenant Colonel
joshuastein55's Avatar
United_States
2675
Rep
1,977
Posts

Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
No manual 3er means that the G70 just by existing is stealing 3er sales. There's literally no other choice for a premium, manual , rwd sedan.
They only sold something like 500 manual G70s in 2019...but I do agree with you. Every manufacturer is losing out on those sales. It's too bad they never made the 3.3T with the manual.
If they gave the 3.3T the 6MT I would actually have bought one since I originally wanted manual sedan, but ultimately went with the 2er. The G70 is a really good car and pairing it to the manual would give it a serious advantage since the 2.0T is a rough engine, however it is getting replaced with a new 2.5T 4-cylinder so hopefully it will be improved.
__________________
Current Vehicles - 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 | 2019 BMW M2 Competition 6MT | 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Retired Vehicles - 1995 325i 5MT | 2004 330i 6MT | 2011 335xi | 2017 540i | 2017 Boxster S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 04:13 PM   #60
avocet
Major
195
Rep
1,087
Posts

Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver bc

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
I agree they are here to stay and their sales figures for almost all models is impressive. What I don't agree with is that the perennial leaders of these segments have much to worry about. There's a LONG way before the G70 could ever come close to the global volume of the 3 Series. Same thing for the new GV80. It may be really nice and priced great, but to oust the Lexus RX would take more than just a nicely equipped and priced new entry from a relatively new brand name in Genesis.
Since you are using the Lexus as the paradigm... you do realize the irony when you consider the Lexus story, don't you?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 05:29 PM   #61
Burrcold
Captain
Canada
733
Rep
812
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
Since you are using the Lexus as the paradigm... you do realize the irony when you consider the Lexus story, don't you?
Absolutely, and I also realize how long it took for them to overtake in particular segments (I worked on the engineering side of Toyota/Lexus through those years). Genesis as a brand is two years old. I have not once said that Genesis could not some day be at the top of the heap, but to think that they are going to introduce an SUV and singlehandedly take out the raining king...sorry ain't going to happen. Heck the Lexus IS out sold the Genesis G70 in 2019 by 50% and it's a 7 year old platform.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:40 AM   #62
thegump
Private
32
Rep
63
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 - Sold
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
If they gave the 3.3T the 6MT I would actually have bought one since I originally wanted manual sedan, but ultimately went with the 2er. The G70 is a really good car and pairing it to the manual would give it a serious advantage since the 2.0T is a rough engine, however it is getting replaced with a new 2.5T 4-cylinder so hopefully it will be improved.
2.5t should get around a 50hp bump which will be a great value paired with the manual. It'll be the same power plant that's going in the sonata n-line.

Also, if anyone is looking for a Hyundai or Genesis. Shoot me a PM. No employee discounts on the Palisade or Kona electric yet, but everything else is on the list.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 01:50 PM   #63
paliknight
fuck this field
paliknight's Avatar
United_States
1356
Rep
2,166
Posts

Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: everywhere

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
This whole discussion is very interesting. Being from Australia, I find a few things about north american (well US/Canada) car buyers that really irks me. The first is this whole dealer thing, like it's SO IMPORTANT to have dealer support. I basically stole my Saab that I still drive today because people were freaked out that there were no dealers. I don't get the mentality.

The other one is buying and selling private, most people seem to treat it like it's a no-go zone. No idea why folks are so conservative.
Dealer support can be helpful. My prior BMW had constant CELs and eventually I was ready to invoke the Lemon Law in my state. But right before I did it, the Service Manager stepped in and convinced BMW to buy the car back. So it can be helpful (BTW...once BMW agreed to buy back the car BMW was terrific).

I think the selling private thing is a combination of being too busy to deal with it and fear of a bunch of strangers coming over, asking to drive the car, etc.
Agreed. Ive never had an issue that wasn't resolved with my BMWs nor my Porsche. And i was always taken care of and had my concerns addressed and provided a loaner, even when I wasn't supposed to be.

My mother's grand cherokee just gets serviced at walmart since they provide better service there.

My fiancé's ford raptor had multiple recalls and was out of commission for months, and the dealership basically said go fuck yourself when we asked for a loaner; so we had to share one car and use Uber.

My cousins sierra Denali has had 5 warranty issues that took several months to address and the dealerships they used were all shittier than one another. Definitely no loaner either.

I can go on and on about the significant differences between luxury manufacturers and dealerships vs other non luxury brands.


TL;DR

Dealership quality is like car insurance, very unlikely you'll need it, but when you do, you better hope its top notch.
__________________
BMW family... for now.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 02:10 PM   #64
SteveinArizona
Colonel
United_States
1286
Rep
2,111
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greater Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Part of what turned me off from the Alfa Romeo Giulia was its dealership experience. They sell cars out of ugly old showrooms which feel like renovated Dodge dealers. There's nothing premium or special feeling about it. Then you head over to the showroom of a real luxury brand and it's an entirely different experience.

I'd still put up with it if the car were any good, but aside from driving dynamics it has zero redeeming qualities.
I don't care how the showroom looks. But my problem is the lack of reliability. I could live with that if they had a good loaner policy (my local dealership is pretty close to my house) but getting a Fiat or Chrysler 300 as a loaner for an Alfa is ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST