BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Advice needed for pre-LCI MY2020 G30 Service

08-24-2021, 08:13 PM   #1
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 530ix Sport Line

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
Advice needed for pre-LCI MY2020 G30 Service

I need an advice on how to approach Service. I took the car for the Gesture TSB a couple of weeks ago and they upgraded the software to the 3/21 version. I was expecting Android Auto, but it was never pushed down. There are still a couple of software issues that came up after the upgrade, one of them being gestures freezing a certain point. This is very repeatable.

I have a service appointment next week.

Is it possible that the upgrade "went wrong?" Is there something specific I should ask that they do? Several people on this form report that AA is supported on iDrive 7 with Cockpit Professional on MY2020 (1/20 build).

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 10:40 PM   #2
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
You can report the issues and they'll push the latest update to your car to correct them. My understanding is that the latest should be a July 2021 update, but I haven't seen any details on what is in it or if anyone has had it installed on our car yet. I also haven't had it installed.

Ideally that update should fix it for you, but if you end up with a 07/21 update feel free to share details on any changes you encounter with it.

My next service is in October so I plan on getting it then.

Hopefully your issues are sorted.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 09:35 AM   #3
beyondm3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M550, e46 M3, e39 540, x3 m40

my car is at the dealer now. I requested they ensure the software/firmware is up to date. I talked to them yesterday and they said it already was. As i've only had the car for two weeks, I haven't dug into this to verify which version it is. I'm interested to look when I get it back.

Apparently they need it for a week to replace a speaker and some trim.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 09:59 AM   #4
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Just let them know you want them to make AA work like it does for other MY20 G30 cars that received iStep upgrades after July 2020.
      08-25-2021, 11:25 AM   #5
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Just let them know you want them to make AA work like it does for other MY20 G30 cars that received iStep upgrades after July 2020.
I have talked to Head Office Geniuses, have them open an IT ticket that AA is missing. The answer has so far been, "your car does not support AA." I plan to show them their own document that says AA is supported for my car, but I am concerned that they will again come back with "nothing wrong with your car, AA is not supported."

I am bringing it back next week with other software concerns that have either popped up after the 3/21 upgrade or were not fully resolved. Now if they don't yet do 7/21 upgrade, would they repeat the 3/21 upgrade? Could I question them and say "you guys forgot/missed X"?

I would love to hear from someone who managed to get AA after initially being told that his car does not support AA and how they managed to convince the dealer, what did he do.

It just seems to me that if CarPlay works, then AA is just software that should work on the same platform.

This is getting very frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 12:52 PM   #6
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by taskrov View Post
I have talked to Head Office Geniuses, have them open an IT ticket that AA is missing. The answer has so far been, "your car does not support AA." I plan to show them their own document that says AA is supported for my car, but I am concerned that they will again come back with "nothing wrong with your car, AA is not supported."

I am bringing it back next week with other software concerns that have either popped up after the 3/21 upgrade or were not fully resolved. Now if they don't yet do 7/21 upgrade, would they repeat the 3/21 upgrade? Could I question them and say "you guys forgot/missed X"?

I would love to hear from someone who managed to get AA after initially being told that his car does not support AA and how they managed to convince the dealer, what did he do.

It just seems to me that if CarPlay works, then AA is just software that should work on the same platform.

They sadly are clueless and I too expect you’ll get told that if you press them. You couldn’t show them a lot car with it probably either as I’m sure they’ve never updated the software on the cars on the lot.

But if you tried that argument I guess you could show them the pictures I shared with you in the other thread of my MY2020 530e with it…

I feel you’ll have more success complaining about the gesture controls and etc and getting them to update the software again and hoping they sync whatever needs to be synced this time.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2021, 02:45 PM   #7
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Quote:

They sadly are clueless and I too expect you'll get told that if you press them. You couldn't show them a lot car with it probably either as I'm sure they've never updated the software on the cars on the lot.

But if you tried that argument I guess you could show them the pictures I shared with you in the other thread of my MY2020 530e with it…

I feel you'll have more success complaining about the gesture controls and etc and getting them to update the software again and hoping they sync whatever needs to be synced this time.
You're 100% correct.

One issue is AA is unlocked via an OTA software push once the vehicle with a compatible VIN talks to BMW servers. So, OP could have a buggy (well, they're all buggy, lol) iStep version on his vehicle or it's possible BMW IT needs to find out why his VIN is not programmed properly in their backend.

In most cases the dealer can open a PUMA/TSARA case with NA and get this fixed. But for a MY20 vehicle seems they prefer to play the head in the sand game.

OP, show them photos, news articles and videos online with MY20 G30s with AA. MY20 X3 is same, if I recall correctly.
      08-26-2021, 03:21 PM   #8
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
You're 100% correct.

One issue is AA is unlocked via an OTA software push once the vehicle with a compatible VIN talks to BMW servers. So, OP could have a buggy (well, they're all buggy, lol) iStep version on his vehicle or it's possible BMW IT needs to find out why his VIN is not programmed properly in their backend.

In most cases the dealer can open a PUMA/TSARA case with NA and get this fixed. But for a MY20 vehicle seems they prefer to play the head in the sand game.

OP, show them photos, news articles and videos online with MY20 G30s with AA. MY20 X3 is same, if I recall correctly.

I think I found the answer that AA is supported by my car in this YouTube video from BMW North America. I will show it to the Service manager.

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 08:40 AM   #9
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
Quote:
I think I found the answer that AA is supported by my car in this YouTube video from BMW North America. I will show it to the Service manager.

A quick update. My car has been at the dealer since Tuesday. They are working with BMW head office how to get AA on the car. In the mean time I am enjoying a 2021 loaner.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 10:06 AM   #10
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
A quick update. My car has been at the dealer since Tuesday. They are working with BMW head office how to get AA on the car. In the mean time I am enjoying a 2021 loaner.
All of which is proof that one should NEVER accept at face value a claim by BMW corporate or a BMW dealership that something is normal or as designed. Read your manuals, read the BMW materials, and fight like the OP did!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 07:29 PM   #11
beyondm3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M550, e46 M3, e39 540, x3 m40

sorry for the ignorance but how does one check their software version in the idrive7?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 01:21 PM   #12
taskrov
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
All of which is proof that one should NEVER accept at face value a claim by BMW corporate or a BMW dealership that something is normal or as designed. Read your manuals, read the BMW materials, and fight like the OP did!
I got my car back today from the dealer today. AA has been installed and missing apps are on the menu (Alexa, Uneven Surfaces, M Laptimer). The problem was in the backend configuration. I was impressed with the Tech who kept at it, working with the Head Office to get this resolved. I think it helped to provide them with a link to the BMW Genius video and the BMW AA compatibility document that showed that AA is supported on this vehicle.
Appreciate 0