BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding BMW 530i xD - G30 - HiFi Audio System 676 Upgrade Recommendations

09-09-2020, 09:50 AM   #1
vks2108
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i Xd

BMW 530i xD - G30 - HiFi Audio System 676 Upgrade Recommendations

The system is above average for sure, but it lacks an enjoyable experience. Base lands flats beyond a point, as if there is not enough power. The speakers do not speak loudly enough. I think when the system is loud enough it open up, and sound more clear. Car is around ~15 months old, so speakers have been broken-in. I am looking for 25% improvement in loudness, clarity (mids) and bass on my present setup. Probably 1st advice would be to put an AMP but then on an Amp upgrade I would anyways upgrade the speakers to get the right output. So I think I will like to start with Woofers first and if that does not improve the experience. Then replace front pair, then rear pair and then put an amplifier, or get my ears checked.

Please share advice and experiences on Audio System upgrade. I have read a lot about Bavsound and BimmerTech upgrades. What I am surprised is none of the forums/videos/blogs have tried any other options than above. Are these speakers really the best, and the value they offer is worth the price? Has no one really tried to use popular after market brands speaker brands.

It will be great if you share your opinions, experiences and advices on --

Woofers Options in the order of preferences
1. EarthQuake
2. Match Subwoofers 8 inch
3. Bavsound GHOST BMW
4. Focal I Sub 2

Speaker Options
I would like to have component in the front, and coaxial in the rear. Dont have many 4 inch component speaker options there. So for now going with all Coaxial

1. Infinity Reference CoAxial
2. RockFord
3. Kicker CS Series
4. GRS B100-4 4" BMW replacement full-range driver pair
5. Other options

Center
Do we get single 4inch Speaker.

Amplifier (if really needed)
Match - as I would prefer non-bavsound speakers.

Harness
Any options or links on wire harness for speaker upgrade.

Do -
I need to put dampening sheet in the door.

What do you recommend ?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2022, 03:47 PM   #2
mimoon
Private
Rep
Drives: G31

Eton + Match up7, or maybe ISUDAR DA08.

Last edited by mimoon; 12-12-2022 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 11:52 AM   #3
T-Dubbs
Coal Troll
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 535d

is the "HI-Fi" option the HK setup?

Last edited by T-Dubbs; 12-20-2022 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 05:09 AM   #4
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

I would opt for Focal speakers - either Focal Inside for BMW (whole set PnP, no cutting needed) or a bit more expensive K2 line by Focal.
The only amp I am recommend Match UP7 BMW - itīs got 7 channels and DSP. Be careful with its setup, though, better done by experienced person, if done badly, spoils the whole impression from the install.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 12:51 PM   #5
Bimmerstyle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 G31 530d

Mine probably is an unpopular opinion but if you can live with something in your trunk I would put an active sub in the trunk and possibly other underseats.

I have the same system in my G31 and this is what I did. I have a Focal Bomba BP-20 sub in the trunk and Harman Kardon underseats out of a F2x (need to be out of one of the smaller cars because of 2Ohm impedance). I have my bass turned down 2 notches and my treble up about 4 and this plays well. I would dare to say it plays better then my dads HK in his F25 X3. It plays more musical and less processed.

You will never get decent bass out of the stock amp, no matter what speakers you put under the seats. That thing has simply not enough power. But combined with a trunk sub it can provide enough kick to have an enjoyable experience. A little bit more kick even with other speakers.

This is the easiest and probably cheapest way to get nice sound in the car. Otherwise you will need to upgrade the amp with all costs involved and even then, if you really want nice, full bass, you still need a trunk sub (trust me, had a Bimmertech amp in my previous car with Focal and Individual speakers and I ended up adding a trunk sub in the end)...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 03:07 PM   #6
BMW3DK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 / 540 G30

Hello,

676 is super easy to upgrade with GREAT results!

I have done this in +12 BMW's and are currently working on my G30 + supporting a friend with a G31 in his system choices.

Copied from your post with my suggestions:

Woofers Options in the order of preferences
1. EarthQuake <-- Good bump for the buck, but more bump than hifi.
2. Match Subwoofers 8 inch <-- More hifi, good tonality
3. Bavsound GHOST BMW <-- not tested
4. Focal I Sub 2 <-- the best on your list! Especially super with Focal mid + tweeters

--> My choice would be a Gladen ONE 201 system for front. It is the system I have done with the best result. Alternatives are there, but this one is sweet sounding in the 3 cars I installed them in so far.

Speaker Options
I would like to have component in the front, and coaxial in the rear. Dont have many 4 inch component speaker options there. So for now going with all Coaxial

1. Infinity Reference CoAxial <-- :-(
2. RockFord <-- a matter of taste, If you like the RF sound I can understand why you have them on the list.
3. Kicker CS Series <-- no experience with Kicker apart from woofers.
4. GRS B100-4 4" BMW replacement full-range driver pair <-- not tested
5. Other options <-- YES - Gladen :-) / Or Focal following you have the Focal USW on the list above.

Center
Do we get single 4inch Speaker. <-- Yes - center speakers in your car is as important as in your home cinema! Tonality and sound of the center should be as close to L+R as possible, so if you go Gladen 201, then buy a Gladen 202 (set and use one in the centre). If you go Focal, buy Focal new or search ebay for a Focal.

Amplifier (if really needed) <-- ABSOLUTELY NEEDED, maybe more than speakers if you are on a tight budget.
Match - as I would prefer non-bavsound speakers. <-- absolutely right!! UP7 or any of the Match / Helix amplifiers are great. By far the best DSP and a lot of know how at your benefit.

Harness
Any options or links on wire harness for speaker upgrade.<-- Plug & Play for UP7 + a 3g Power cable direct to the battery & to ground.

Do - I need to put dampening sheet in the door. <-- Always! Minimum behind the speakers & under the speakers. But in general, the more the better. I also add foam to close all cavities between the doorcard and the door for absolute silence in the cabin.

IF you want more bump (which often is enough to satisfy some people) you can always add this from the pre-out on the UP7 to an active subwoofer or Subwoofer/amplifier of your choice at that time.

All of this are based on my experience with BMW sound systems through the past 12 years and it is an advice that I will stand for that it will give you a big smile on the face.

:-)
Chris
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 04:20 AM   #7
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

Agree with Chris. I want to emhasise, though, that tuning amp with DSP is absolute must and it needs to be done right. An experienced guy with measuring mic and a proper SW will create a fantastic sound image in the car.
Appreciate 1
BMW3DK35.00