BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Coolant top up?

07-15-2020, 03:37 AM   #23
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

fingers crossed, 850!

yeh this seems to be quite a common issue if these forums are anything to go by.
In my case it was faulty reservoirs (yes there are 2 on the B58). with a torch you can see the coolant had leaked down below it.
replaced under warranty and no reoccurrence.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 04:11 PM   #24
haleemb11
haleemb11
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320D XDRIVE M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
fingers crossed, 850!

yeh this seems to be quite a common issue if these forums are anything to go by.
In my case it was faulty reservoirs (yes there are 2 on the B58). with a torch you can see the coolant had leaked down below it.
replaced under warranty and no reoccurrence.
Thanks AP
Eurgh. Got a 430d M Sport from Enterprise, Sytners had none of their own cars left
Could have been worse I suppose. Interior feels so outdated compared to the 5!
Glad yours has been resolved, don't want to end up in a situation where it keeps reoccurring or springs up other issues i.e water pump failure.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 11:06 PM   #25
b74heavy
Alpine White|19" Wheels|
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

My experience with coolant top offs

Got the first coolant warning about 7200 miles. Went to the dealer they topped it off. They said it happens a lot so nothing to worry about. I also bought 1 quart of Blue antifreeze and a gallon of Distilled water. Got the second warning at 14000 miles. So I started checking each oil change (I change my oil every 5000 mi). So each time I had to add some coolant. Sometimes 2 to 4 oz sometimes more to bring the level up to the midway between min and max. I always use a 50/50% mix of antifreeze and distilled water. Going in for an oil change tomorrow and I am gonna get them to check for leaks again. It must be leaking somewhere. Never any smell or puddle on the garage floor. The G30 has an extensive cover under the engine so a leak would most probably not get to the floor. If you have to top up your fluid be sure to use a 50/50 mix of Antifreeze and Distilled water or you will have problems with corrosion and overheating. Here is a link to a maintenance page I found. Of course, it's on the internet and I am not a mechanic of any kind so take what I say with a grain of salt. This is on the high-pressure side only not the low-pressure side.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...-check/1HZe3We
Appreciate 0