BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Cracked stock rim, looking for options

01-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #1
FadyDizzle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

Cracked stock rim, looking for options

Hi all,

One of my tires was slowly letting out pressure the past few days, so today I went to a mechanic who took the wheel off the car and found that there's a hairline crack on the inside of the wheel which is causing the issue. Wanted to get your advice on options:

1) I hear that some wheels can be welded, not sure if this is safe or worth it or what the cost would be. Thoughts? It's a lease, so even if I weld, will I need to replace the wheel when I turn the car in after another 16 months?

2) I've seen remanufactured or used wheels (OEM originals) on eBay from reputable sellers for about $250 to $300 (style 634). Anyone recommend just buying something that is crack free and inspected, having it put on, and balanced (total cost would be in the $400 - $500 range).

3) I put in an inquiry at the dealer to see the cost of a new wheel and for them to put it on. Not sure how much this would be, any thoughts? I'm guessing at least another couple hundred bucks more than the used/remanufactured route, but any experience would help.

Appreciate any ideas or thoughts on the above. The car has about 22,000 miles, will be turned in after about 16 months, its a 2017 530i xDrive and the runflat tire on the wheel appeared fine when inspected (at least for now, hopefully doesn't get damaged in the couple days I have while I figure out replacement).

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 06:45 PM   #2
VIBE Motorsports
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F06 Gran Coupe & F10

Hey,

I've had a couple guys from the forum reach out to me and tell me they cracked/bent their OEM wheels. Most of the guys went for a stronger more durable aftermarket wheel and have has 0 issues. I would look into some aftermarket wheels as an option. PM me if you have any questions!

bmw@vibemotorsports.com.
800-814-8423 Ext 107 Ask for Tom
https://www.vibemotorsports.com/wheels
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 09:31 PM   #3
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadyDizzle View Post
Hi all,

One of my tires was slowly letting out pressure the past few days, so today I went to a mechanic who took the wheel off the car and found that there's a hairline crack on the inside of the wheel which is causing the issue. Wanted to get your advice on options:

1) I hear that some wheels can be welded, not sure if this is safe or worth it or what the cost would be. Thoughts? It's a lease, so even if I weld, will I need to replace the wheel when I turn the car in after another 16 months?

2) I've seen remanufactured or used wheels (OEM originals) on eBay from reputable sellers for about $250 to $300 (style 634). Anyone recommend just buying something that is crack free and inspected, having it put on, and balanced (total cost would be in the $400 - $500 range).

3) I put in an inquiry at the dealer to see the cost of a new wheel and for them to put it on. Not sure how much this would be, any thoughts? I'm guessing at least another couple hundred bucks more than the used/remanufactured route, but any experience would help.

Appreciate any ideas or thoughts on the above. The car has about 22,000 miles, will be turned in after about 16 months, its a 2017 530i xDrive and the runflat tire on the wheel appeared fine when inspected (at least for now, hopefully doesn't get damaged in the couple days I have while I figure out replacement).

Thanks!
Same thing happened to me apparently. What did you end up doing ?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 10:58 PM   #4
BD21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 750i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslenutz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadyDizzle View Post
Hi all,

Thanks!
Same thing happened to me apparently. What did you end up doing ?
I have some like new 634s for sale complete set w P7 run flats on them. Let me know if you are interested and I can send you details and pics.
Appreciate 0