BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Pirelli Cinturato P7 Run Flat bulges

04-19-2024, 11:24 AM   #1
Steven D.
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 540i xDrive

Exclamation Pirelli Cinturato P7 Run Flat bulges

I bought a used 2020 540i xDrive in late August 2023. The dealership installed 4 new run-flat tires (and the manufacture dates on the tires corroborated that the tires were indeed new). I have only put 4000 miles on the car in 8 months.

The other day, I noticed an odd bulge in the sidewall of the passenger front tire. I checked the other tires and found 2 bulges on the driver front tire, and the rear tires were fine.

I reached out to Pirelli about this issue. Pirelli told me that, because I did not "purchase" the tires, I did not "own" the tires! And, therefore, I am not eligible for the road hazard warranty that these run-flats come with!

Going back to the selling dealer is a 73-mile drive. There are closer BMW dealerships.

The thing is: these tires are so prone to this issue that I am strongly considering having regular tires put on the car, buying a compatible temporary spare tire, and getting a tire change kit.

Has anyone experienced this issue when calling Pirelli? (How can I not "own" the tires on a vehicle that I purchased?!?!)

Thanks for any insight!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 02:43 PM   #2
DaWhole9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i, 1976 BMW 2002

you bought them from the dealer...first call is to them. THEN see what options you have. an hour drive for a new set of tires is nothing. Especially when a new set is about $2k. Now...I would ditch the run-flats because sidewall bilges are common and on my F10 535i, I had one explode on me at the bulge on the sidewall while I was sitting at a red light. I swapped out the run flats for regular tires, got a flat repair kit and keep my AAA membership up to date.
Appreciate 0