BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing Gas tank won't fill up

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-05-2020, 11:44 PM   #1
YoungOG08
Private First Class
YoungOG08's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
183
Posts

Drives: 2018 540XI
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

Gas tank won't fill up

Hey guys I'm having problems when fueling my car I have 2018 540 with 21k miles on it and everytime I try to fill up my tank the car won't take more than half a tank when the tank is halfway of gas and I try to fill it up it'll just start spilling and won't take more gas

Have you guys encounter this problem lmk please any advise since all the dealers are closed
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 06:11 AM   #2
AP
Colonel
AP's Avatar
806
Rep
2,962
Posts

Drives: G30 540i X Msport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I will state what is probably the obvious but you are inserting the pump nozzle correctly? Not too far out or at an angle that might be causing the pump to stop!

Is this the same gas station and Sam pumps, not changed for any reason?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 06:22 PM   #3
YoungOG08
Private First Class
YoungOG08's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
183
Posts

Drives: 2018 540XI
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I will state what is probably the obvious but you are inserting the pump nozzle correctly? Not too far out or at an angle that might be causing the pump to stop!

Is this the same gas station and Sam pumps, not changed for any reason?
I'm doing everything correctly the pump just stops when the tank is halfway whether it's automatically or I'm pump it myself
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 03:06 AM   #4
AP
Colonel
AP's Avatar
806
Rep
2,962
Posts

Drives: G30 540i X Msport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

very odd then. I'm out of ideas then.not sure wher eyou are but with the corona issue, your dealership may well be closed but they may be open to call so worth giving them a ring to see if anyone has any ideas.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2020, 10:54 PM   #5
YoungOG08
Private First Class
YoungOG08's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
183
Posts

Drives: 2018 540XI
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
very odd then. I'm out of ideas then.not sure wher eyou are but with the corona issue, your dealership may well be closed but they may be open to call so worth giving them a ring to see if anyone has any ideas.
It's the gas tank gauge
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 08:40 PM   #6
BlueSander
Second Lieutenant
11
Rep
288
Posts

Drives: Audi A4 & A6
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

have you try running it till almost empty and refill again?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #7
GeorgeI
New Member
5
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 540i MSport
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
G30 540i MSport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungOG08 View Post
Hey guys I'm having problems when fueling my car I have 2018 540 with 21k miles on it and everytime I try to fill up my tank the car won't take more than half a tank when the tank is halfway of gas and I try to fill it up it'll just start spilling and won't take more gas

Have you guys encounter this problem lmk please any advise since all the dealers are closed
Yup. When the tank is half empty, you can only put in half a tank.
Appreciate 2
      10-02-2020, 07:23 PM   #8
johnnyp420
New Member
johnnyp420's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 530e M sport
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW 530e  [0.00]
I've had this problem in my E39 M5. It ultimately led to needing the entire gas tank and fuel filler assembly replaced. The sensor in the gas tank was bad. Could also be vapor lock in the fuel lines.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST