BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions What do you guys think about people rebadging? (i.e. 520d to 530d)

11-12-2017, 02:59 AM   #1
PurpleSector
2018 530i
Rep
Drives: G30

What do you guys think about people rebadging? (i.e. 520d to 530d)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So what do you guys think about people re-badging their cars?

I'm seeing a lot of people here changing their badge.
For example, a 520d changing to 530d, or 530i changing to 540i or 550.

I think it is absolutely ridiculous and one of the most stupidest things you can do to a car.

Now, I respect everyone's styling attitude and their design(?) philosophy.

But besides individual taste for tuning their car, simply re-badging to me, is basically lying & faking you and your car's identity, and screaming insecurity.

What do you guys think? Am I the "rude" one for thinking this? It seems like some people think it is an individual taste that should not be criticized.

Of course, if I meet someone in person who did this, I'll just keep my mouth shut and be gentle as possible. but if someone posts a picture for an opinion, or asking how to re-badge their car from a 520d to 550d, I'll gently tell them to get a life.

Why trying to make your already superb car into something that is not?
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2017, 03:12 AM   #2
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Aside from the insurance implications (makes it more nickable?) doesn’t it boil down to the same thing as choosing certain wheels based on looks or the look of the headlights (if the perceived beam was identical to driver) - essentially our desire to be desired...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 03:43 AM   #3
PurpleSector
2018 530i
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
Aside from the insurance implications (makes it more nickable?) doesn’t it boil down to the same thing as choosing certain wheels based on looks or the look of the headlights (if the perceived beam was identical to driver) - essentially our desire to be desired...
If I understood you correctly, you are saying it basically is same thing as changing wheels. (i.e. getting a M5 style wheels on non-M5) That is a good debatable point. If we can genuine M5 parts on our cars, can we "have" - or do we "deserve" the right to re-badge our cars to M5? Then again, arguing over "rights" is stupid in the first place for a damn badge.

I saw real tuners transforming their 330i into M3s from engine swaps to everything else. These people when they put on the M3 badge, I give them props.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 08:36 AM   #4
Badger
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 520d, 530i

I don't see any problem here. If someone wants to do such a thing it is his/her business. Pulling away from traffic lights or little bit of "Autobahn" and such a person will be ridiculed.
However, it works both ways... Some people badging their cars inversely (520 instead of 550). Surprise...! Unfortunately, for experts it's not hard to distinguish V8 from I4 anymore as some parts of these vehicles are completely different in external appearance. In case of E39 or E60 they looked almost identically.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 09:04 AM   #5
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
I think the two are different as it comes down to motivation - changing wheels to M5 wheels is motivated by aesthetics or possibly function; i.e. a different look or ability to fit wider tyres or lighter wheels or whatever. All reasons I can personally understand even when I'm not a fan of the look. The owner likes the look of xyz so he fits xyz to his car and he likes the look of his car a little more.

Rebadging is motivated purely by a desire to make people think you are driving a different car. Anyone who says they simply prefer the look of a 530d badge to 520d badge is more than likely lying. Its not an aesthetic change. That I can't understand. It benefits the owner none because HE knows its a 520d, but its purely for the benefit of others so that they may think 'ooh look, he has a 530d instead of a 520d' (which would be a ridiculous statement to make anyway).

Personally, as you're asking, yes I do think its ridiculous to put another car's badge on your car. But like the OP I wouldn't tell someone their personal preference is ridiculous unless they actually asked me for my honest opinion. It doesn't offend me or affect me so I would just let them get on with it.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2017, 09:19 AM   #6
Gmoney El Nene
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Quote:
I think the two are different as it comes down to motivation - changing wheels to M5 wheels is motivated by aesthetics or possibly function; i.e. a different look or ability to fit wider tyres or lighter wheels or whatever. All reasons I can personally understand even when I'm not a fan of the look. The owner likes the look of xyz so he fits xyz to his car and he likes the look of his car a little more.

Rebadging is motivated purely by a desire to make people think you are driving a different car. Anyone who says they simply prefer the look of a 530d badge to 520d badge is more than likely lying. Its not an aesthetic change. That I can't understand. It benefits the owner none because HE knows its a 520d, but its purely for the benefit of others so that they may think 'ooh look, he has a 530d instead of a 520d' (which would be a ridiculous statement to make anyway).

Personally, as you're asking, yes I do think its ridiculous to put another car's badge on your car. But like the OP I wouldn't tell someone their personal preference is ridiculous unless they actually asked me for my honest opinion. It doesn't offend me or affect me so I would just let them get on with it.
Agreed

2018 540xi MSport, Med Blue/Mocha
Exec Pack, Cove Mat, HK, Carplay, Lux Seats
19"664M, Wifi, Driving Assistant
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #7
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I agree. It is the individual's car and he can do it if he likes. Personally, if I were to rebadge it would be in the other direction. I actually like having a stealth car and making folks think it is less than it is.
Appreciate 1
CalCarNut1060.50
      11-12-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
JD2005
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 530d m sport xdrive saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I agree. It is the individual's car and he can do it if he likes. Personally, if I were to rebadge it would be in the other direction. I actually like having a stealth car and making folks think it is less than it is.
Am doing just that. 530d msport xdrive with model and trim deletion. Stealth is the primary driver, security also a factor tho.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 04:11 PM   #9
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2005 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Am doing just that. 530d msport xdrive with model and trim deletion. Stealth is the primary driver, security also a factor tho.
Or a cleaner look with no badges in the way in my case.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 10:14 PM   #10
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Or a cleaner look with no badges in the way in my case.
+1 this is my preference as well. It's not about hiding that I'm not driving the highest spec car. It just looks cleaner. I'd debadge an M3 just as fast as I'd de-badge a 320
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 11:38 PM   #11
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

How humble and modest those guys are considering only 530 , 540 badges on their cars
I like to badge our cars but no way I wouldn't put M550i badge when I have 530i xDrive . I have not added anything on my car as of yet and I think there's no place for me to it , may be behind rear doors C Pillar , XDrive badges but I don't think I will do it .
I can see swapping wheels for aesthetic concerns and for their beautiful looks not just for something they are standard wheels on M550i or M5
      11-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #12
jensputzier
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

I would never do that. I would do it the other way round though. Take off all th estuff from my M5 and make it look like a 520i ;-)
      11-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #13
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensputzier View Post
I would never do that. I would do it the other way round though. Take off all th estuff from my M5 and make it look like a 520i ;-)
I totally agree, de-badging is they way to go, its a nonsense to place a larger badge, what happens when you start the thing up when that 4 cylinder clatter kicks in, many other giveaways too between 4 & 6 pot cars, so for me a big no no.

Remember the Audi add some years ago " the more you know the less you show"
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #14
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

When it helps to improve the owner experience/proudness, I'd say it's probably the most affordable way to do so. So, it's a smart thing!

I prefer no badging, I would consider down badging, but up badging would give me a more stressed feel. Bizar, I know, but I would hate that my poor 518d had to live up to 530d standards. It would generate a stressing cognitive dissonance since my car would never be able to live up the induced expectations. Down badging is the inverse, the car will eclipse the logical expectations of the badge. But down badging on a 518d is not possible of course

Psychology is a strange thing!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #15
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
When it helps to improve the owner experience/proudness, I'd say it's probably the most affordable way to do so. So, it's a smart thing!
Hold on, did you just say putting an M550i badge on a 520i is a smart thing? I need whatever he's drinking

If that sort of thing makes someone 'proud', they have bigger things to worry about than what engine is in their car.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 01:19 AM   #16
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post

Yes, you’re right. Good point.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 02:44 AM   #17
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Here in the UK we have a Thread for those that "pretend" to have better "M" cars than they drive, many put M3/4/5/6/ badges on none M cars, they look what they are PATHETIC and we take pictures of them and put them on the net.
      11-14-2017, 03:40 AM   #18
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

It's like putting a pair of socks in your underwear or those chicken fillet things that some women put in their bra's. It's advertising something that you can't back up and ultimately it will lead to disappointment in the end.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 06:35 AM   #19
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

I find it tacky, but I understand the pressure to do so. Debating between a 530i or 540i to replace my 528i, I have to admit a tiny part of the reason I am drawn to the more powerful version is to avoid some negative perception about people who choose $70k luxury sedans -
especially BMWs - with 4-cylinder engines. (Especially in the U.S. where fuel is cheap and there are no emissions taxes.) I am confident in my own decisions and I am not a drag racer, but still I'd rather my not be the subject of jeering from Genesis and V-6 Camry drivers.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 07:49 AM   #20
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchJR View Post
I find it tacky, but I understand the pressure to do so. Debating between a 530i or 540i to replace my 528i, I have to admit a tiny part of the reason I am drawn to the more powerful version is to avoid some negative perception about people who choose $70k luxury sedans -
especially BMWs - with 4-cylinder engines. (Especially in the U.S. where fuel is cheap and there are no emissions taxes.) I am confident in my own decisions and I am not a drag racer, but still I'd rather my not be the subject of jeering from Genesis and V-6 Camry drivers.
In that case, you can de-badge, without re-badging. Not that you should feel pressured to do so, who cares what engine you chose if it suits YOU. But if you must, just take off the badge and go naked.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 09:00 AM   #21
Delija
VIP
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchJR View Post
This is just so wrong, that I don't know what to begin with...

You pay too much attention to what other people think about you. That is definetely not normal!

Even less normal is to fake the badge (and who know what else in your life) in other to meet the expectations of people around you.
      11-14-2017, 10:00 AM   #22
Roger_M
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: M550i

Why would anyone buy something and feel the need to pretend it's something else?

Would you wear a fake Rolex, or carry a fake Vuitton bag? Ok, ok, plenty do........