BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-27-2023, 09:48 AM   #1
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Sport/Comfort/Eco buttons - erratic behaviour

Has anyone had some weirdness with this button array? Most times I start my car, and for a good while afterwards, the Sport button will not react. Nada, zilch, zippo.

Sometimes it will work fine, mostly not, but here's the super-weirdness. The other day I was trying to get a video of this behaviour and luckily whilst I did it was going cray. The sport button at first would not react but then when it finally did and then I pressed Comfort it went to first comfort the after pressing again went to eco pro, then pressing a third time it activate hill descent. Keep pressing and it kept cycling between all modes.

No liquid damage at all ever in the car, but this seems like a software issue, just curious if any others had any such odd stuff going on.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 09:49 AM   #2
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep

Oh, by the way the video I recorded was SUPER cool, or would have been were it not for the fact that even with 0.5x zoom I "just about" missed my fingers pressing the buttons :-/
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 11:43 AM   #3
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
Oh, by the way the video I recorded was SUPER cool, or would have been were it not for the fact that even with 0.5x zoom I "just about" missed my fingers pressing the buttons :-/
Great way of fulfilling the internet cliche "show us you're having a problem without showing us the problem"

Anywho, that is an interesting issue. Do you have bimmercode by any chance? I'm also thinking it might be a software issue and coding any of those items might give it a little nudge.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 12:11 PM   #4
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g11hoonigan View Post
Great way of fulfilling the internet cliche "show us you're having a problem without showing us the problem"

Anywho, that is an interesting issue. Do you have bimmercode by any chance? I'm also thinking it might be a software issue and coding any of those items might give it a little nudge.
Yeah - the video would be useless that I got thus far since you cannot see my fingers on the buttons, just the screen changing but that means nada. I'll try better next time ;-) {edit: probably better when I'm not driving :-| }

The ONLY coding I did was the rear lid kick open, but that got wiped by the recent system update. I didn't re-code it back yet on purpose so when it goes in (which it surely will) no markers.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 01:56 PM   #5
jsh139
How YOU Doin?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Aren't these all right next to each other on one giant button "pad"? My guess is that there is a physical issue going on, not software. It thinks you're pressing one of the other buttons.
      03-27-2023, 03:33 PM   #6
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh139 View Post
Aren't these all right next to each other on one giant button "pad"? My guess is that there is a physical issue going on, not software. It thinks you're pressing one of the other buttons.
Yeah I thought that - until when playing the fact that

(a) no matter how hard I initially pressed sport button nothing happened for minutes
(b) then when shit did spring to life slightly pressing comfort in the same place made it cycle through all the other options in that line. What foxes me is one of them was hill descent - luckily it didn't work as I was doing about 60mph at the time.

I'm thinking some software glitch. I'll try to catch a video soon.
Appreciate 1
jsh1391698.00
      03-27-2023, 04:07 PM   #7
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

no issues here
      04-03-2023, 05:00 AM   #8
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep

SO finally, with the car booked in for April 18 (to also fix the dreaded sunroof rattle) here is the video showing the behaviour. Note the continued pressing of a button (e.g. comfort) can activate other modes, it chose not to go down the hill descent route this time :-).

I guess I'm alone in this plight? :-)

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 06:46 AM   #9
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

my 2019 x4m40 has done this exact same thing since new, I have written here extensively about it. took it back to the dealer about 15 times for this issue, they lied and said they couldnt get it to replicate but I was watching the car all day long and it was never moved. then they went on a test drive with me and said I was pressing the button too much, fyi in a 15 minute ride I had pressed the button about 20 times and it never once did what was requested. I got so tired of the dealership BS I called BMW NA and they told me to take it to another dealership, the next closest one was over 35 miles away and they did not do loaner cars since I had bought from a different dealer so I never took it in. I wrote complaints online not just here but on local sites as well. about 6 months ago, so 3.5 years of dealing with this and "keyfob not present" fiasco they offered to order a new dynamic drive button even though the service manager had told me over a dozen times this would not fix it. I called the general manager and gave him the whole story again and reminded him I had sent in over 20 videos of the bad behavior and he said let me look into it and then never got back to me, so nothing new there. good luck. this is a good car and I always drive in sport but it takes multiple times trying to even get it to react and then 90% of the time requesting sport gets me adaptive and then5-10 more trys finally gets me sport. it's clearly a glitch that not everyone had but some do. it's a real shame. this is my second x4m40 I have owned one since they first came out, this version was leaps better than the first with the electric glitch exception as the first one worked perfectly. it's a 2019 with about 14k miles on it, it bugs me so much that I often take another vehicle because I know the hassle thats awaiting me in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 07:06 AM   #10
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchgrif View Post
my 2019 x4m40 has done this exact same thing since new, I have written here extensively about it. took it back to the dealer about 15 times for this issue, they lied and said they couldnt get it to replicate but I was watching the car all day long and it was never moved.
I cant help you with your problem, but demand the shop foreman and/or GM, or whoever, actually ride in the car with you. This is more effective than videos, or them claiming they can't replicate the issue. Have them sit next to you and have them acknowledge the issue.

My guess is a wiring and/or the button module causing issues and sending wrong or mixed signals... but that is a complete guess.
Good luck.
      04-03-2023, 07:17 AM   #11
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
I cant help you with your problem, but demand the shop foreman and/or GM, or whoever, actually ride in the car with you. This is more effective than videos, or them claiming they can't replicate the issue. Have them sit next to you and have them acknowledge the issue.

My guess is a wiring and/or the button module causing issues and sending wrong or mixed signals... but that is a complete guess.
Good luck.
yeah, it's beyond hope now. I did have the GM and asked for the service manager instead got a young guy who was looking for something to blame it on, also had the "genius" ride with me and the Genius and the GM acknowledged there was something wrong and directed me to the service deprtment. BMW NA contacted them and once again they said bring it in and let us look at it even though at that point they had it many times already. I took it in and they once again said cant get it to replicate even though I could not get it into sport after about 8 trys when I went to pick it up.they simply have zero interested in actually fixing it or they don't know how or it cant be fixed. I have begun shopping other brands and BMW has lost my future business which was a real shame as I sent three customers there on the last car and none there with this one. FYI despite problems I am a lifelong ford guy for work trucks, it's not that something is wrong, it's how I was treated about something being wrong. Also BMW NA on a four month old vehicle and they could only say try another dealership, they know theres an issue they had me send in the videos as well. not looking for someone to solve this, at this point even if the actual glitch was solved it would not resolve the real issue for me. the OP was asking if anyone else had the issue, I do.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2023, 05:26 AM   #12
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep

Apologies - I didn't post an update and someone asked on another thread about a possible similar situation which reminded me.

They replace the button console and all now is well in selecting my mode of drive :->
Appreciate 0