BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding New Bimmertech amp for G30!!! I am not buying it.

10-03-2023, 03:29 PM   #23
2022M550i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i, 2015 Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WretchedRefuse View Post
I've been tempted by the Alpha One amp but I have the Bavsound speakers, including their same-as-stock 7 ohm floor subs. Is the Alpha One expecting the 2-ohm floor subs or the 7-ohm subs?

Also, do you have a photo of what the Alpha One amp looks like installed? Does it install on top of the factory amp? I have another amp for my 10" trunk sub installed nearby and I'm concerned about interference.
You can use either the 7 or 2 ohm subs. They prefer the 2 ohm if you're buying the subs and amp together.

Honestly, as DealBMW stated, there isn't much of a difference between the subs. I notice a bit more punch, but not earth shattering bass. They are small subs.

I'm doing the entire kit install, I just did it in stages to understand what each component offered in addition to the stock HK sound. The amp was pretty big when you activate the B&W DSP. So far I did the amp and subs. It sounds great, but the amp can easily overpower the HK speakers...but will still get very loud with great punch at all sound levels.

Here are some pictures as the install differed a little from their instructions. My battery and connectors were different than described. Also there's a clip on the bottom right of the Booster that I placed the Alpha one amp bracket underneath. You have to remove both RAM and Booster to fit it in...very straightforward. I also made sure I snaked the USB cable into the bin so I can access it with my laptop. The harness is a bit tight and not so pliable, I just tie wrapped and tucked out of the way to fit the trunk bin back in place. Not the prettiest.

Also, as they specify, you do have to disable the Active Sound Design. The amp will amplify it and it will be annoying. I'm fine with that because now I get to hear the real V8 sounds.

Name:  IMG_6921.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  460.4 KB

Name:  IMG_6931.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  283.4 KB

Name:  IMG_6932.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  166.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6935.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  449.9 KB

Last edited by 2022M550i; 10-03-2023 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 4
      10-05-2023, 10:00 AM   #24
SenmaS
Rep
Drives: BMW

2022M550i Nice install! I saw DIY GUY posted a video installation guide on the F90 forum:

Last I compared bimmertechs pricing to crutchfield the UP10 + HK harness costs $1585 and you still need to get power cables + you don't get a bracket/installation hardware nor a DSP profile. I think the $100 extra is well worth the extra hardware and service/support.
Appreciate 1
2022M550i3047.50
      10-05-2023, 03:17 PM   #25
2022M550i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Well, I just Wrapped up the complete installation. I did the whole job without destroying my New car interior. I only have 5000 miles on it.

Anyway, The complete package is damn good. I am a stickler as well, I just don’t give out compliments… or since I dumped a bunch of cash, I’m not just going to say it’s great . It really is damn good. Their speakers are much much much clearer, bright and pack a punch. They can withstand a whole lot more volume than the HK speakers could.

So the question is, would I do it again? Hell yes! In a second. I personally wouldn’t want anyone else doing the job because there’s just too much shit you can break and you would really never know. I couldn’t live with that. I spread out the install overfour days. The amp on one, subwoofers next day, then I broke up the speaker install over two days. My car is brand new and I wanted to make sure I had a clear mind and wasn’t tired. Everything went well it wasn’t terribly difficult. Slow wins the race.

It was truly a plug and play system. I know it’s pricey, but their time is money too. They took the time to design all this stuff… they need to earn a buck too
Appreciate 3
      10-05-2023, 06:43 PM   #26
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022M550i View Post
Well, I just Wrapped up the complete installation. I did the whole job without destroying my New car interior. I only have 5000 miles on it.

Anyway, The complete package is damn good. I am a stickler as well, I just don’t give out compliments… or since I dumped a bunch of cash, I’m not just going to say it’s great . It really is damn good. Their speakers are much much much clearer, bright and pack a punch. They can withstand a whole lot more volume than the HK speakers could.
Just to confirm, you did the complete Bimmertech package - amp, subs, and door/deck/center midranges and tweeters? If so, can you say if you noticed a bigger improvement when switching the amp, or when switching the speakers?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 07:19 PM   #27
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

Curious how good it's going to be when they release the ID6 version of this when you can't enable the B&W mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 07:34 PM   #28
2022M550i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WretchedRefuse View Post
Just to confirm, you did the complete Bimmertech package - amp, subs, and door/deck/center midranges and tweeters? If so, can you say if you noticed a bigger improvement when switching the amp, or when switching the speakers?
I did it all. Each step was a very noticable improvement. I did the amp first and I almost settled with that….but the HK speakers would occasionally get over powered at loud volume with a lot of bass. As soon as I completed the speaker install, i noticed the difference immediately…the alpha speakers are much more powerful than the Hk. I can feel the bass theoughout my body when I listen to hip hop…i listen to all kinds of music and it handles it all very well.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 07:43 PM   #29
2022M550i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbuggy2b View Post
Curious how good it's going to be when they release the ID6 version of this when you can't enable the B&W mode.
The amp is a programmable DSP amp. using the B&W sound profiles is cheating I guess…. But I happen to like the way it sounds. With some time tuning the amp, or Scheduling a session with bimmertech to do it, it will yield similar results.
Appreciate 0