BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2020-202x Corvette Stingray

09-16-2019, 10:58 AM   #815
nlaak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
You’d have to find me evidence of this not being true for the Corvette since ‘97. There is not one point where the car has gone backwards IMO.

This is after driving every version of the Corvette C5-C7 outside of the C7 ZR1. My name is See5 for a reason.
Find you evidence for a subjective opinion? You even clearly say 'IMO'.

Any vehicle made today - bar none! - has things people complain about, to say, or think otherwise is disingenuous. Some of these things are subjective, some objective. Some things are ignored by some/many people as inconsequential, some are critical.

No offense to you, but you're clearly an unabashed enthusiast and anyone looking for an objective opinion on a car isn't going to want to listen to what you say about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #816
nlaak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
The derp is strong with you.
Wow, great rebuttal! Clearly I have seen the errors of my ways and now believe there's no possible way General Motors has ever lied about a car before! They've clearly only ever produced the best automobiles made in the world - every car, every model!

You sir are clearly more intelligent than the rest of the world and your opinions and statements are the gold standard by which all should be judged.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 11:16 AM   #817
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
The derp is strong with you.
Extremely.

He’s right though. I’m just not going to believe anything I’ve read regarding this car. I’m calling BS on the C8 Z51 being quicker around a track than the C7 Z51. It’s impossible. With its higher CoG, clunky DCT, GM’s first real ME chassis, heavy weight and wonky electronics, there’s no way they could be telling the truth.

That top speed run I watched was done with a bottle of nitrous.

The 0-60 run was on Mickey Thompsons.

Chassis rigidity isn’t improved. I can tell by just looking. Definitely falling apart after 5,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 11:19 AM   #818
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I think it's quite possible that the C8 is actually a deep fake and just a leftover Aztek in reverse with some serious photoshop. Screw you GM!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #819
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep

My eyeballs are finely honed to calculate CFD models and I can tell you right now that GM is lying about downforce and drag. The C8 is a brick in the wind. SAD!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #820
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Till you are in the interior of the C7 or C8 long enough. Then it is easy.

I've owned a bolt-on C6 Z51, a modded C6Z & a 600+ WHP C5. If I get another Vette, it has to be a C7 or C8. (Would love a 67 Vert with an LS over all of them, but we are talking $$$$$ now)
I’m very content with my C6 at this time. Regarding sports cars I’m more partial to lightweight, power and handling. Power to weight ratio takes precedence over interior appointments. Like a Ferrari F40 and a 911 Club Sport owners I’ll sacrifice some fine Italian leather, walnut dashboard and others. Along with a BMW I have a Lincoln for a more comfy ride and not that the C6 is uncomfortable, it’s been taken on quite a few long road excursions without complaint.

Never could understand taking a classic like a ‘67 and dropping a modern plant in it. A 425hp 427 would suit me just fine as would the original small block and keep the classic unmolested. To each his own I guess.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 02:21 PM   #821
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
I’m very content with my C6 at this time. Regarding sports cars I’m more partial to lightweight, power and handling. Power to weight ratio takes precedence over interior appointments. Like a Ferrari F40 and a 911 Club Sport owners I’ll sacrifice some fine Italian leather, walnut dashboard and others. Along with a BMW I have a Lincoln for a more comfy ride and not that the C6 is uncomfortable, it’s been taken on quite a few long road excursions without complaint.

Never could understand taking a classic like a ‘67 and dropping a modern plant in it. A 425hp 427 would suit me just fine as would the original small block and keep the classic unmolested. To each his own I guess.
Never could understand doing a resto mod? Drive one.

Also, if that is what you want, get a Miata. I am shopping for my 4th Miata right now
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 02:30 PM   #822
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriouslyFast View Post
Never could understand doing a resto mod? Drive one.

Also, if that is what you want, get a Miata. I am shopping for my 4th Miata right now
I’ve driven a few quite nice resto swaps before, not my thing. I like classics left classic. I’ll pass on the Miata. I like the power:weight just fine in my C6.
About 20 years ago I did briefly own a Pinto with a warmed over 302 under-hood. It was a little rocket but a real handful when the road turned.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #823
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlaak View Post
Wow, great rebuttal! Clearly I have seen the errors of my ways and now believe there's no possible way General Motors has ever lied about a car before! They've clearly only ever produced the best automobiles made in the world - every car, every model!

You sir are clearly more intelligent than the rest of the world and your opinions and statements are the gold standard by which all should be judged.
Clearly everything is a conspiracy, God is real, the Earth is flat, 9/11 was an inside job.........and GM are lying about the CoG for the new C8............which doesn't really exist because it's also a conspiracy.

Thanks for the wokeness, brah.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      09-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #824
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Why is so much bad blood for the C8? Track testing has shown this is the real deal.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 05:08 PM   #825
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Why is so much bad blood for the C8? Track testing has shown this is the real deal.
Because the Internet has allowed people to stay anonymous while they say purposefully stupid shit and then claim, "lol bro it was a joke, I'm so edgy" and other similar stupid thought processes.
Appreciate 2
      09-16-2019, 08:16 PM   #826
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Speed and performance were never a problem with any generation of Corvette. Now that the interior has been addressed, so probably won't be a problem either. But it's also true that speed is not a problem for some of the more high end cars either. It's the personal preference and the finer things that ultimately determine what car you will buy. People with money will ultimately choose 911, R8 ... and the likes. Sure there will be cross shoppers but as usual those are the exception, not the norm. Based on the drivetrain, chassis construction, I think it will still be somewhat hairy-chested and blunted compared to some of the European alternatives.
If someone were to give me either a C8 or a 992 Carrera for free, I will choose the 992 even with a large gap in performance, because I know GM has not addressed some of the little things that irritates me with past Corvette.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      09-16-2019, 09:02 PM   #827
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
Speed and performance were never a problem with any generation of Corvette. Now that the interior has been addressed, so probably won't be a problem either. But it's also true that speed is not a problem for some of the more high end cars either. It's the personal preference and the finer things that ultimately determine what car you will buy. People with money will ultimately choose 911, R8 ... and the likes. Sure there will be cross shoppers but as usual those are the exception, not the norm. Based on the drivetrain, chassis construction, I think it will still be somewhat hairy-chested and blunted compared to some of the European alternatives.
If someone were to give me either a C8 or a 992 Carrera for free, I will choose the 992 even with a large gap in performance, because I know GM has not addressed some of the little things that irritates me with past Corvette.
Money matters and it will be a track monster. Porsche and BMW M should be sweating and I am finally thinking of buying American.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 09:09 PM   #828
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Money matters and it will be a track monster.
I am sure there are buyers in your situation. It will be seen how many will ultimately make the switch.

Quote:
Porsche and BMW M should be sweating and I am finally thinking of buying American.
I am sure the same thing was said when the C7 came out.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 09:10 PM   #829
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
Money matters and it will be a track monster. Porsche and BMW M should be sweating and I am finally thinking of buying American.
How is this that different when it was C6 or C7?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 09:57 PM   #830
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nothing BMW makes right now is a competitor to the Corvette concerning performance and its been that way for years now(outside of maybe the M4 GTS). The Camaro and M3 are closer competitors.

As far as Porsche, Porsche fans and Corvette fans will continue to buy the same cars with few cross shopping or switching sides.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2019, 05:24 AM   #831
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
This’ll be my first American car, as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 06:19 AM   #832
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Not just different but a huge difference, mid-engine.
Appreciate 1
BMWILUVU809.00
      09-17-2019, 08:00 AM   #833
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
-Mid engine is huge.
-The interior looks actually nice.
-German cars have gone in a direction I don’t like (turbos).
-I didn’t like the long hood before— didn’t have a good sense for where the car is.
~500 hp is pretty perfect for a car of that size/weight, for my wants.
-mid engine creates an experience that’s different from other cars I’ve owned.

It’s just checks a lot of boxes, corrects a lot of things I didn’t like previously, all while German cars are becoming less and less what I want.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #834
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Not just different but a huge difference, mid-engine.
Other than mid engine (which is a big other than) the price, value, performance etc., Corvette has always been a bigger bang for the buck, and starting from C6 and on it handles so I guess I just don't see it as a bigger game changer
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      09-17-2019, 08:55 AM   #835
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Mid-engine, new styling, new interior, American-made, perfect timing for lease expiration. Used to have questions like should I buy at end of lease, upgrade to a G80 M2Comp or Porsche 718? No more questions.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 09:14 AM   #836
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
would you rule out C8 had it been the old front engine rear wheel drive layout? I mean per value proposition, probably best bang for the buck would be end of production cycle C7 (and you can pick nearly every one in the line with decent discount)
Appreciate 0