E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What good are other performance mods without a down pipe?

09-28-2013, 04:37 AM   #1
srs_e92
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: '12 335i, '11 R35, '13 335i

What good are other performance mods without a down pipe?

As the title states what good are other mods without a down pipe?
So I've got a 2013, e92 335i M, A/T, (assuming it was one of the last of what were made).. Being that its just the daily I'm looking at an BMS, or AFE intake and JB4 Stage 1 tune. What good would a charge pipe and FMIC be if I leave the stock DP in?

I'm looking for results and experiences, not opinions.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i

There is no reason that keeping the stock downpipe in place should keep you from modifying your N55. There is no downpipe "fix" for the N55 which tricks the engine management into seeing the catalysts even if they've been removed as there is for the N54 cars. Hence, you will have a cat readiness code stored and a Service Engine Soon light. Aftermarket tunes can effectively turn off the SES light for this code but the codes will be stored. This is all a long winded way of explaining that many N55 owners modify their cars while keeping the stock downpipe in place. There is still plenty of room to increase power and drivability without messing with the downpipe.
As to the modifications that you mentioned: intake is a waste of time on an N55 unless you just have to have the sound. Jb4 tune is fine. Chargepipe should absolutely be changed on any N55 car running a tune. This piece is not really even suitable at stock boost levels (many warranty claims for bone stock cars) and is a ticking time bomb on any car with increased boost. It becomes a question of when, not if. Intercooler is one of those mods that really depends on what you do with the car. Unless you are tracking it regularly, hit the dragstrip frequently or do repeated highway pulls to post on YouTube, there is no real need for it. You mentioned that your car is a daily driver so I'd bet that the stock intercooler is perfectly adequate.
FWIW, I was in a similar boat regarding modifying my daily N55. I wanted more power but did not want to compromise reliability, comfort or the warranty. I ended up going the OEM route with the factory Performance Power Kit tune and Performance exhaust. No hacking, no piggybacks, no removing shit for service, no worries.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Envuks
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

An intake doesn't provide any gains on these cars... Get the tune, stage 1 or 2 (I'd rec 2) and an intercooler. DPs are great (I have them in my n54 daily driver), but if you can always do them later if you need a bit more power. I'd say if you go stage 1 on the tune, DPs aren't worth it. If you go stage 2 and want a bit more power, go for it

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
tennis_pr0
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2--7 BMW 335i coupe

I have a pretty aggressive tune, the cobb stage 1 +fmic, and from what I hear this stage isn't much less than the stage 2. I just have the tune, a VRSF intercooler and a drop in air filter. I plan on getting a charge pipe soon. The downpipes maybe much later if at all. I realy don't want to spend close to 800 for the downpipes and install, and if something goes like the HPFP or turbos it would be a bitch taking the downpipes out to go to the dealer. I would rather just not deal with the downpipes although I know they are a great mod for more power.
Appreciate 0