BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications 2018 m550i turbo upgrade

03-23-2023, 06:15 PM   #1
Kayrohit
Rep
Drives: BMW m550i

2018 m550i turbo upgrade

Hey all,

I'm close to paying off my m550i, and a tune and catless dp are not cutting it anymore. Especially since the 2020 can push so much more power.

I have read through the other threads regarding this, but I haven't seen any people actually pull the plug on swapping out the turbos. I came across one member who swapped to pure stage 1 turbo, but they did not see much gain.

I wondered if the 2020 turbos would line up on the 2018 heads. I know the intake system is different, but I haven't been able to find out if BMW changed the oil and coolant lines.

If anyone has swapped out their turbos and has any information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 12:06 PM   #2
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayrohit View Post
Hey all,

I'm close to paying off my m550i, and a tune and catless dp are not cutting it anymore. Especially since the 2020 can push so much more power.

I have read through the other threads regarding this, but I haven't seen any people actually pull the plug on swapping out the turbos. I came across one member who swapped to pure stage 1 turbo, but they did not see much gain.

I wondered if the 2020 turbos would line up on the 2018 heads. I know the intake system is different, but I haven't been able to find out if BMW changed the oil and coolant lines.

If anyone has swapped out their turbos and has any information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you
I've also thought about someday bolting on bigger turbos. My understanding is that the Pure Turbo uses the same housing as your stock turbo, but puts a larger turbine inside to increase the boost. I'd recommend that approach rather than bolting on a potentially different housing that doesn't fit. If you're concerned about the power gain, I'd research Pure and other brands more rather than rely on the testimony of one person. Regardless, understand that you should also get a custom engine tune whenever you swap turbos.

Also be sure to know the limits of your 2018 engine block because the 2020+ LCI blocks have a beefier bottom end that can handle more power.
Appreciate 2
xander_g1003.00
      09-15-2023, 03:43 PM   #3
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by WretchedRefuse View Post
I've also thought about someday bolting on bigger turbos. My understanding is that the Pure Turbo uses the same housing as your stock turbo, but puts a larger turbine inside to increase the boost. I'd recommend that approach rather than bolting on a potentially different housing that doesn't fit. If you're concerned about the power gain, I'd research Pure and other brands more rather than rely on the testimony of one person. Regardless, understand that you should also get a custom engine tune whenever you swap turbos.

Also be sure to know the limits of your 2018 engine block because the 2020+ LCI blocks have a beefier bottom end that can handle more power.
On lci m550 and m850, it seems the manifold and turbos do line right up. I would imagine thy oil coolant lines too ( looking up the parts across different sites can resolve this). Moreover the alpina b8 has this exact setup- n63 motor, turbos but with s63 cross banked manifolds. The problem is that the intake side is different so would have to swap in the charge coolers, the intake plumbing, etc. Quite a lot of work. Not sure about the 2018 setup but you have a few options then it seems since the manifolds mountings are the same since 2014.

I've contacted a bunch of shops too and n63intake has a Stage 2+ for the m550i but that's overkill for me. Re Pure, they don't make turbos for the lci, not yet.

Last edited by Dasky_spas; 09-24-2023 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 10:35 AM   #4
M550bernina
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasky_spas View Post
On lci m550 and m850, it seems the manifold and turbos do line right up. I would imagine thy oil coolant lines too ( looking up the parts across different sites can resolve this). Moreover the alpina b8 has this exact setup- n63 motor with s63 turbos. The problem is that the intake side is different so would have to swap in the charge coolers, the intake plumbing, etc. Quite a lot of work.

I've contacted a bunch of shops too and n63intake has a Stage 2+ for the m550i but that's overkill for me. Re Pure, they don't make turbos for the lci, not yet.
The N63 intake turbos are not for your model vehicle.

Pure does not make turbos. What they do is hybrids. That means they take your existing Turbo and turn it into a stage 1 or 2 and give it right back to you for a complete bolt on.

At this time, Pure can only do a stage one on your turbos. If you want a stage two, they have to cut off the Turbo inlet to allow for a bigger compressor wheel. Then weld on a larger inlet. That means you'd also have to custom fabricate Turbo inlets to fit The larger inlet on the Turbo. Not sure how I know this, it must have came to me and a dream! haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 11:52 AM   #5
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M550bernina View Post
The N63 intake turbos are not for your model vehicle.

Pure does not make turbos. What they do is hybrids. That means they take your existing Turbo and turn it into a stage 1 or 2 and give it right back to you for a complete bolt on.

At this time, Pure can only do a stage one on your turbos. If you want a stage two, they have to cut off the Turbo inlet to allow for a bigger compressor wheel. Then weld on a larger inlet. That means you'd also have to custom fabricate Turbo inlets to fit The larger inlet on the Turbo. Not sure how I know this, it must have came to me and a dream! haha.
When I reached out not too long ago Pure said they don't sort the n63tu3.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 12:06 PM   #6
M550bernina
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasky_spas View Post
When I reached out not too long ago Pure said they don't sort the n63tu3.
Correct. The reason being is because it wasn't a direct bolt on. You would have had to have Turbo inlets custom made for stage two. That's why they weren't messing with them.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 09:34 AM   #7
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Correct. The reason being is because it wasn't a direct bolt on. You would have had to have Turbo inlets custom made for stage two. That's why they weren't messing with them.
So the only option I see for an aftermarket hybrid upgrade is Weistec, and they're over 6k! I was looking for stage 1, and swap in the s63 cross bank at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 07:18 PM   #8
Bsm550
Private
Rep
Drives: M550xi

Quote:
Would the f90 turbos fit the 2020+ m550
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 07:29 PM   #9
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep

It should fit the manifolds but you'll need quite a few mods to make it work- downpipe, custom intake, charge pipe and charge coolers or use existing plumbing with custom charge pipe connector.

More cost effective to just get the Weistec V3 units if more power is desired, even the bigger weistec units and s63 manifold could be cool. Probably will have to cross the 02 sensor install location.
Appreciate 0