BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications M-Link MG1/MD1 at Home Bench Backup - Recover - Flashback - Unlock

08-08-2023, 09:56 PM   #1
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

M-Link MG1/MD1 at Home Bench Backup - Recover - Flashback - Unlock

https://missiontuning.com/m-link-5/m-link.html

Was posted in the general sub-forum and not in tuning so adding to here.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 03:07 PM   #2
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
https://missiontuning.com/m-link-5/m-link.html

Was posted in the general sub-forum and not in tuning so adding to here.
Damn! That just cost me $450. Has anybody tried and confirmed that it works on the N63T3? I assume I would just need the "unlock" feature and use BM3 to flash updates.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 04:13 PM   #3
M550bernina
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by WretchedRefuse View Post
Damn! That just cost me $450. Has anybody tried and confirmed that it works on the N63T3? I assume I would just need the "unlock" feature and use BM3 to flash updates.
Obviously this is for the cars produced before June 2020. You can pay someone to bench unlock it or this seems like a nice alternate, especially if your car has automatic updates which can lock your DME. With this tool you probably could just re-unlock it.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 05:17 PM   #4
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M550bernina View Post
Obviously this is for the cars produced before June 2020. You can pay someone to bench unlock it or this seems like a nice alternate, especially if your car has automatic updates which can lock your DME. With this tool you probably could just re-unlock it.
Exactly! With the dual DME used by the N63, just one unlock costs me way more than the price of this gadget. I'm already unlocked, but this provides insurance in the event that future service or software updates re-lock it.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 05:33 PM   #5
Bsm550
Private
Rep
Drives: M550xi

Interesting my car is 2020 model but was made in nov 2019 i wonder if it could work for me lets see how the first batch does im sure someone will post on the forums how the product is
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 10:47 PM   #6
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsm550 View Post
Interesting my car is 2020 model but was made in nov 2019 i wonder if it could work for me lets see how the first batch does im sure someone will post on the forums how the product is
You should be fine, although I certainly understand waiting for others to report back before pulling the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 07:16 PM   #7
choppedliver
Captain
Rep

You should definitely be fine. I'm borderline with a mid June 2020 build, but the local shop reckons it will be fine based on doing 1000s of cars. I'm going with them as no unlock, no cost. Also with USD/AUD rates it's borderline for a single unlock buying the box vs going to the shop.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 04:36 PM   #8
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Quote:
There's a more active thread over on the G20 forum. I bought one but haven't used it yet. It is very quality though.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=149
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 09:43 AM   #9
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

Quote:
Forum member TheJungatron posted an install and review here:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2041113
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 11:10 PM   #10
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Whoa…. So this “tool” lets you mirror image your DME. Then you can tune away..and if you go in for service or have some serious issues.. you can just reflash back via this tool to the image you made BEFORE the tune..and the dealer can’t tell?

Would you need to do this every time you go to the dealer for warranty work / service - as I have heard that even for a routine oil change, they can hook you up to their computers and it will see you are tuned..

So this would need to be done every time you go in to dealer?

How quick is it to flash back to stock? Has anyone done that and verify it worked with no issues?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 11:17 AM   #11
oldtexasdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550I X Drive

It appears to me( and as I am very new at BMW's please correct me if I am wrong) that this device is:
A: Not a tuning device
B: For unlocking DME's and backing them up in such a manner to allow one to tune their car and de-tune it before service in such a manner as to not alert the dealership to a tuned car for warranty.
C: It works across several platforms or different car DME's
D Saves one's tune so it can be re-loaded after a wiped trip to the dealership. ??

Now question
Does it work with a 2020 M550i Production date 9/6/19
Do you have to remove the DME to Unlock?
I am a bit leary of this one.

Last edited by oldtexasdog; 08-28-2023 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 11:09 PM   #12
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtexasdog View Post
It appears to me( and as I am very new at BMW's please correct me if I am wrong) that this device is:
A: Not a tuning device
B: For unlocking DME's and backing them up in such a manner to allow one to tune their car and de-tune it before service in such a manner as to not alert the dealership to a tuned car for warranty.
C: It works across several platforms or different car DME's
D Saves one's tune so it can be re-loaded after a wiped trip to the dealership. ??

Now question
Does it work with a 2020 M550i Production date 9/6/19
Do you have to remove the DME to Unlock?
I am a bit leary of this one.
I don't own this tool (yet) but here's my understanding:
A: Correct, it will not tune your car. You need something like BM3 for that.
B: Correct. It goes beyond de-tuning though. If you tune your car and it detects tuning "flags" like over-boost, it will supposedly log those events and a dealership can read those logs and see that your car has been previously tuned even if the tune has been removed. This is true of both DME flash tunes as well as piggyback tunes. As part of the "restore" operation, this device claims to erase any such logged information so that the dealership is completely unable to determine that the car has ever been tuned. However, this will only work if you back up the DME before ever applying a tune. You also need the "super" license for this.
C: It will work across multiple platforms but only for the configuration you order. In your case (mine too) you would need the N63 V8 version. You could in theory use it to unlock another N63 or an S63 but not, say, a B58.
D: I think so but I'm not 100% sure about this one. In theory, to visit the dealer you would first back up your tuned DME, then restore the stock DME. Upon return from the dealer you would then restore your tuned DME and the tune should be back.
E: Yes, it should work on the 2020 M550i. It's the N63 platform and your build date looks to be early enough.
F: I don't believe that you have to physically remove the DME, but you have to disconnect it from the factory harness and connect it to the tool using the OEM-style connectors included. This is a tricky operation because you must first disconnect both batteries as the DME will throw a code if you disconnect it with power applied. You also have to flash both DMEs since the N63 has two.

It's wise to be leery here but in searching the forums, the tool seems to be solid and so far I'm seeing positive reviews. If you're comfortable disconnecting your DME and running the app you should be okay to use it.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 11:46 PM   #13
choppedliver
Captain
Rep

Both batteries? Are they located next to each other in the boot/trunk?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 08:04 AM   #14
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Quote:
Both batteries? Are they located next to each other in the boot/trunk?
Main battery in trunk. The smaller one is in the cowl under the hood near the jump start/charging terminal.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2023, 08:14 AM   #15
oldtexasdog
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I don't own this tool (yet) but here's my understanding:
A: Correct, it will not tune your car. You need something like BM3 for that.
B: Correct. It goes beyond de-tuning though. If you tune your car and it detects tuning "flags" like over-boost, it will supposedly log those events and a dealership can read those logs and see that your car has been previously tuned even if the tune has been removed. This is true of both DME flash tunes as well as piggyback tunes. As part of the "restore" operation, this device claims to erase any such logged information so that the dealership is completely unable to determine that the car has ever been tuned. However, this will only work if you back up the DME before ever applying a tune. You also need the "super" license for this.
C: It will work across multiple platforms but only for the configuration you order. In your case (mine too) you would need the N63 V8 version. You could in theory use it to unlock another N63 or an S63 but not, say, a B58.
D: I think so but I'm not 100% sure about this one. In theory, to visit the dealer you would first back up your tuned DME, then restore the stock DME. Upon return from the dealer you would then restore your tuned DME and the tune should be back.
E: Yes, it should work on the 2020 M550i. It's the N63 platform and your build date looks to be early enough.
F: I don't believe that you have to physically remove the DME, but you have to disconnect it from the factory harness and connect it to the tool using the OEM-style connectors included. This is a tricky operation because you must first disconnect both batteries as the DME will throw a code if you disconnect it with power applied. You also have to flash both DMEs since the N63 has two.

It's wise to be leery here but in searching the forums, the tool seems to be solid and so far I'm seeing positive reviews. If you're comfortable disconnecting your DME and running the app you should be okay to use it.
I beg another 3 questions?
1. Do you have to access the DME every time you want to flash the DME back to stock before going in for a service or oil change?
2. If you lose or your laptop suffers a break do you lose the ability to restore the DME to factory?
3. Is there any hardware that has to stay hooked up under the hood?
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 11:51 AM   #16
oldtexasdog
Private First Class
Rep

Well after calling (yes calling) MissionPerformance and talking to Chris who thoroughly and with patience answered all my questions (I think I found a new friend) I pulled the trigger on the Mission Link with super licence and battery for my 2020 M550i. So now the wait begins
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2023, 05:09 PM   #17
oldtexasdog
Private First Class
Rep

Hmm a thought-I noticed that "I Drive" has a area that is called "Data Privacy" that looks like something that will need to be turned off I think?
The next question then would be what is the best flash tune platform option for me? I use it as a daily driver and enjoy doing romps through the mountains.
I don't take it to the track or dog it in off the wall drags.
I am completive though to those with a qualified ride that come along and want to play .
I do want to go with a flash and I reached out to MHD but the do not support my car.
bm3? other options?

Last edited by oldtexasdog; 08-30-2023 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 04:53 PM   #18
choppedliver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I pulled the trigger on the Mission Link with super licence and battery for my 2020 M550i. So now the wait begins
What month? Mine is mid June 2020 so thinking this might be the go.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 07:20 PM   #19
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I beg another 3 questions?
1. Do you have to access the DME every time you want to flash the DME back to stock before going in for a service or oil change?
2. If you lose or your laptop suffers a break do you lose the ability to restore the DME to factory?
3. Is there any hardware that has to stay hooked up under the hood?
Thank you
I'd be interested in knowing what MP (Chris) said in response to these questions. I think the answers are 1. Yes; 2. Be sure to make multiple copies of your backup, otherwise you won't be able to restore it if your computer fails; 3. No.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 07:34 PM   #20
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
bm3? other options?
That's a great question. As far as I know, the available DME Flash tunes for the 2020+ M550i are BM3, RK Tunes, and Carbahn. If I'm missing any, somebody please let me know.

I run BM3 and I think it's by far the most popular. It's a great option for a daily driven car and pairs well with xHP on the transmission. I've also found their tech support to be helpful and fast. But I don't like that they've never revised any N63 tunes in 2.5 years and I'm certainly not holding my breath for a flex-fuel option any time soon. RK seems to be similar to BM3 performance-wise, although I don't recall any threads on this forum dedicated to RK on the N63. Carbahn also makes a tune, although it's never been clear to me whether their N63T3 tune is any different than their N63T2 tune. But there is another forum where somebody recently posted some impressive numbers with Carbahn and numbers don't lie.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 08:45 AM   #21
oldtexasdog
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What month? Mine is mid June 2020 so thinking this might be the go.

Thanks
Build date 9/6/19 Chris at MP says should be no problem
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 08:58 AM   #22
oldtexasdog
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'd be interested in knowing what MP (Chris) said in response to these questions. I think the answers are 1. Yes; 2. Be sure to make multiple copies of your backup, otherwise you won't be able to restore it if your computer fails; 3. No.

Yes everytime you either need to restore to locked for service or re-load need to access DME's

Correct-make backups even e-mail copy to yourself so you have one in the cloud.

No hardware under hood.

I did not ask about the Data Privacy settings in I-Drive that send analytics to BMW. I believe it is the system that allows a dealership to scan you key fob and pull up your car and it's maintenance history along with getting updates and installing them? It does have various settings in I-Drive you can turn off or on and I am wondering if just before flash if I should not just turn them all off? or if that would be another flag?

Last edited by oldtexasdog; 08-31-2023 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0