BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications Bootmod3 Wifi Adapter Warning

09-07-2023, 02:46 PM   #1
MikeS300
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xdrive

Bootmod3 Wifi Adapter Warning

Don't get me wrong, Bootmod3 is a great tuning platform. I think they jumped the gun on releasing their v3 wifi adapter with false advertising. I have a 2018 540i xDrive and ordered the v3 adapter because they advertised no car alarm if left plugged in and ultra low power mode on G Series and Supra vehicles.

I noticed that if I left the adapter plugged in it would drain my battery by morning and it never seemed to enter low power mode as the adapter's wifi SSID stayed on. Bootmod3 support at first blew me off and just blamed my 6 year old car battery as the culprit. Finally, after being a bit more persistent I received this response from support:

Just like in F series ignition on status seems to not be sent on the OBD canbus like with the Gen2 G series cars and the adapter isn't able to detect it to use it for the automatic shutdown. Since we don't have the ignition status as a trigger for automatic shutdown like on Gen2 G series cars, the auto-shutdown isn't a possibility on that car.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 03:58 PM   #2
uberboosted
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS300 View Post
Don't get me wrong, Bootmod3 is a great tuning platform. I think they jumped the gun on releasing their v3 wifi adapter with false advertising. I have a 2018 540i xDrive and ordered the v3 adapter because they advertised no car alarm if left plugged in and ultra low power mode on G Series and Supra vehicles.

I noticed that if I left the adapter plugged in it would drain my battery by morning and it never seemed to enter low power mode as the adapter's wifi SSID stayed on. Bootmod3 support at first blew me off and just blamed my 6 year old car battery as the culprit. Finally, after being a bit more persistent I received this response from support:

Just like in F series ignition on status seems to not be sent on the OBD canbus like with the Gen2 G series cars and the adapter isn't able to detect it to use it for the automatic shutdown. Since we don't have the ignition status as a trigger for automatic shutdown like on Gen2 G series cars, the auto-shutdown isn't a possibility on that car.
Yep, I had the same issue. This also resulted in other problems, like the AC not working properly. It took me a while to figure out that it was caused by the bm3 wifi adapter still being plugged in.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 04:14 PM   #3
MikeS300
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xdrive

What happened with your A/C? I don't think I've experienced any major issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 07:02 PM   #4
uberboosted
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS300 View Post
What happened with your A/C? I don't think I've experienced any major issues.
The fan speed was very low even at the highest setting, and it was hardly cooling the car at all (it gets really hot here). I assume that this was because the battery was drained. It started working normally again after I unplugged the wifi adapter.
Appreciate 0